Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #141
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
My chevy 3500HD service truck weighs 13k and the 225 70R 19.5 tires lasted 90k mi and 11yrs until they wore out with NO issues. The max inflation pressure on the sidewall is 95psi. I ran them 60psi front and 75psi in the rears as the door sticker recommends the whole time. 20% under sidewall max pressure must be a flat for inferior st tires. Load and tread wear is what determines inflation pressure.
20% under the minimum needed for the load which is the tire placard info on your truck. Don't know what the actual loads are for the trailer so don't know what the minimum needed for the load is but based on Finite Element analysis of loads on multi-axle trailers I strongly suggest the pressure molded on the tire associated with the max bed be used for trailer cold inflation.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #142
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4BLLT View Post
Sorry for the delay in answering. I don't get on every day. In regards to the comments provided by the other folks, take them for how they can be applied. Here are the answers I can provide based on the one posted the scenario.

1. The tire pressure was checked prior to departing, so when we were notified by the other driver that we had an "issue" we drove another four miles to the exit. Keep in mind we did NOT know that the "issue" was a tire issue. When we went to put air in the tire, there was about 15lbs of air, we put 65lbs into it gradually and listened to it leak as in a possible crack sidewall, ie dry rot inside wall.
2. Speed was about 62 MPH as it was a nice beautiful day and as always when towing an Airstream always enjoyable.
3. Load on tire. Ummm let me think, 72 31 foot coach weighed last time empty about #5400. Most of the weight I would say is to the front tandem tire forward as even when we were pulling into the Shell station to refuel, the rear, rear tire was noticeably flat, however, nothing had separated tire wise. Again, we filled that tire up and drove it for about four miles to get it replaced and it maintained air until we reached our destination, towing at about 35 MPH. That is the great thing about owning a tandem axle Airstream.

The tire never shredded.

What tire would I recommend. Your call on what you can afford or your driving happens and area location demands are.

Jack's comments on his Marathon being a Canadian one, is great to hear. Many times it is assumed that a foreign made tire is always from China. Hearing that from him IRT to this discussion is good insight.

Hope it answers some questions, obviously will generate more, but I've got to get back to the World Series where Boston is doing great and it is only the second inning. Sorry about that, Jack, from STL. But again thanks for the advise on the Canadian made Marathons.

Safe travels to all and winterize those coaches as winter is coming quick this year with temps hitting 31 degrees here in the Sandhills of NC Saturday morning.

SL4BLLT
Well with those facts we both know the tire should be scrap. Now the air leak was either a tire cut or puncture which is clearly not a manufacturing fault or a valve leak which I trust you fixed but again not the tire mfg fault or wheel crack which I trust you fixed but again not the tire mfg fault or your desired option, a defective tire.
What did you see when you inspected the location of the air loss?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #143

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Well with those facts we both know the tire should be scrap. Now the air leak was either a tire cut or puncture which is clearly not a manufacturing fault or a valve leak which I trust you fixed but again not the tire mfg fault or wheel crack which I trust you fixed but again not the tire mfg fault or your desired option, a defective tire. What did you see when you inspected the location of the air loss?
After the double failure of my Maxxis E rated ST's with belt separations I wanted no part of ST's any more. So turning them in for an adjustment was never in my plan. As I've noted in other posts, I'm a stickler with tire pressure, inside storage of my trailer, driving between 55 and 60, and not keeping a tire more than 5 years. Load isn't an issue since by weighing my previous Airsteam I know my typical camping load w/o fresh water and waste water is 500 lbs. Those 4 E rated Maxxis tires had more capacity than my 9100 lbs gross on my model Airstream. My trailer at the time was the heaviest trailer that Airstream built on a tandem axle. I can tell you that upgrading to the 16 inch Michelin tires has removed a lot of future concern from my mind. I really believe that ST's carrying between 8,200-8,600 lbs and up lose their reliability after 3 years. My Marathon failure occurred at the ended of year 3 of use and the Maxxis failed at the beginning of year 4.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #144
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
My own statistical analysis matches everyone else here and on other RV forums. In 100% of the time, replacing the crap Good for a Year Marathons with Michelin LT rated tires eliminates all tire problems.

So when my last, and I do mean last set of GYM's began to develop lumps and bulges, I sold my original Airstream 15" wheels for about $40 less than the cost of new 16" wheels (Airstream Eddie Bauer Edition, Sendal T03). Sold them to a guy who was replacing a set of rusty white spoked wheels. So I really only bought tires, which I needed, and I don't feel wasteful paying a little extra for a better tire.

You tire guys keep talking failure analysis and why it's not the manufacture's fault. Who Cares? Tire guys do! People out trying to explore the world, you know, See More, Do More, don't want to analyze why their tires keep blowing out. They just don't want trailer damage and to be stuck on the side of the road again.

If you guys don't hear from me again in a tire thread, don't worry, I'm out having a great time and not thinking about tires anymore.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #145
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
My own statistical analysis matches everyone else here and on other RV forums. In 100% of the time, replacing the crap Good for a Year Marathons with Michelin LT rated tires eliminates all tire problems.

So when my last, and I do mean last set of GYM's began to develop lumps and bulges, I sold my original Airstream 15" wheels for about $40 less than the cost of new 16" wheels (Airstream Eddie Bauer Edition, Sendal T03). Sold them to a guy who was replacing a set of rusty white spoked wheels. So I really only bought tires, which I needed, and I don't feel wasteful paying a little extra for a better tire.

You tire guys keep talking failure analysis and why it's not the manufacture's fault. Who Cares? Tire guys do! People out trying to explore the world, you know, See More, Do More, don't want to analyze why their tires keep blowing out. They just don't want trailer damage and to be stuck on the side of the road again.

If you guys don't hear from me again in a tire thread, don't worry, I'm out having a great time and not thinking about tires anymore.

Any and all ST Radials = Garbage
Any other Radial = Happy Trails
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #146
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:

Definitely understand your feeling about not really carying WHY tire failed. You just don't want the problem.

As a "tire guy" I just want to be sure that the "fix" that is applied will actually eliminate the problem. You could change to LT tires and go up 3 ply ratings but still have a tire failure if the real cause of the previous failures was a loose, cracked or leaking valve.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #147
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
My own statistical analysis matches everyone else here and on other RV forums. In 100% of the time, replacing the crap ... don't hear from me again in a tire thread, don't worry, I'm out having a great time and not thinking about tires anymore.
Airplane travel safety improved because people investigated results of failures...fail of human, design or misuse,etc...

I have always submitted info to FEDS as I am only small guy they don't care about. However, because of two "reports", added to other reports, things were investigated and hopefully resolved.

When I had warranty replacement of tires, I reported too. Serials and all, plus pictures.

It is kinda like the kid walking the beach, throwing starfish into the sea... If you want the rest of the story, PM me to save folks trouble here.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Anyone consider a LT235/75R15D such as these Pirelli's?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=yes&tab=Specs
Old 11-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Anyone consider a LT235/75R15D such as these Pirelli's?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=yes&tab=Specs

Hi, Steve; This tire looks like a good choice with 2335 lbs at 65 lbs pressure and good for 112 MPH.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #150
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'd have to slow down with that one. Only 112 MPH.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #151
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, My latest.
Robert,

Please check the picture of the GYM on my 2010 FC 28' on the link below. The wear pattern is almost identical to your post.

I will post the DOT data in the next couple of days after finish changing out my wheels and tires with 16" Sendels and Michelins.

Thanks!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ar-105296.html
Old 11-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #152
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mountain Top , Pennsylvania
Smile Replacing Goodyear with Michelin

I have a 2013, 25 foot Flying Cloud. After three thousand miles, all four Goodyear Marathon tires developed significant ripples on the sidewalls. The tires were properly inflated, there was no abuse to the tires, the trailer was under the maximum towing weight. While on an Airstream caravan I was more than amply warned by numerous "Airstreamers" and others to get rid of the Goodyear tires before more significant problems developed.

Consequently I am upgrading to 16 inch wheels (Eddie Bauer) with mounted and balanced Michelin light truck tires --- all thru Airstream.
jgdunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgdunham View Post
I have a 2013, 25 foot Flying Cloud. After three thousand miles, all four Goodyear Marathon tires developed significant ripples on the sidewalls. The tires were properly inflated, there was no abuse to the tires, the trailer was under the maximum towing weight. While on an Airstream caravan I was more than amply warned by numerous "Airstreamers" and others to get rid of the Goodyear tires before more significant problems developed.

Consequently I am upgrading to 16 inch wheels (Eddie Bauer) with mounted and balanced Michelin light truck tires --- all thru Airstream.
Hi, just to let you know that several sidewall ripples are normal on Goodyear Marathon ST tires. This is not suggesting that you keep them if you wish to change to 16" LT's.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #154
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgdunham View Post

I would let a competent tire dealer look at the Marathons and if the determination is the tires are usable, then pull them off and sell them. There is always someone looking for a set of tires on the cheap for their trailer they haul things to the dump, or haul their lawnmower around on, etc. Get a few bucks out of them to help offset the cost of new tires.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #155
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
"It is estimated that in approximately three years, roughly one-third of a tire's strength is gone."

That's a quote from a popular ST tire manufacturer about their radial ST tires.

If a person's expectations exceed reality, disappointment is sure to follow.

BA
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #156
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
"It is estimated that in approximately three years, roughly one-third of a tire's strength is gone."

That's a quote from a popular ST tire manufacturer about their radial ST tires.

If a person's expectations exceed reality, disappointment is sure to follow.

BA
Yeah, really gives a guy a lot of confidence in the whole idea of ST tires in general, huh ?
No thanks.....I prefer other choices. For all those supporters of ST tires, I say, "go for it....."
Old 11-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #157
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Yeah, really gives a guy a lot of confidence in the whole idea of ST tires in general, huh ?
No thanks.....I prefer other choices. For all those supporters of ST tires, I say, "go for it....."
Just an FYI:

That quote about loss of strength is both misleading and applies to ALL tires - not just ST tires.

Why misleading? Because what they are trying to express is the loss of FATIGUE as a tire (or anything that undergoes a changing load - particularly a cyclic load) is used.

If you look up the Wikipedia article on material fatigue, you'll notice a graph called the SN curve. It expresses the change in cycles to failure as a function of stress. What is interesting is that you can estimate the remaining life in a tire if you know either the average life in the tire or the stress level.

But trying to express this loss of life as a loss in strength is just fundamentally wrong.

And like I expressed earlier, it applies to all tires - regardless of the type of tire. The fact that there are manufacturers who produce better performing tires is the key factor. If an LT is produced by one of those often maligned ST tire manufacturers - AND - used in the same way - that tire would not perform as well.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"The fact that there are manufacturers who produce better performing tires is the key factor. "

Exactly! That is why I am running LT tires. I can not find well manufactured ST tires.

Plus I am not smart or interested enough to try to read the standards, but I suspect that a LT tire that is rated at 2500 lbs load has to pass a more stringent test to get the rating than a ST tire does for the same load rating.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #159
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
"The fact that there are manufacturers who produce better performing tires is the key factor. "

....yes indeed. I may just use that as a sig line going forward.

...thanks Barry !