Old 10-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #57
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Holy Bovine....even our 63 Safari had shocks.

AFAIC...tire choice on a single axle can be a little problematic.

You need a tire that will carry the load, you want a tire with a stiffer sidewall to resist the inherent tendency for single axle sway.
My final solution for the 63,(22yrs ago)....bias ply D rated ST tires, with dual friction control slide bars. Worked very well for 15 Seasons.
If I had a single axle today...most likely the 15" Michelin's with a Reese Straight line.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #58
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Bob,
How about no shocks at all?
The single axel Airstreams have no shocks installed at all!
Dexter Axel says that the rubber in the axel tube is more than sufficient to dampen any motion and although I wonder about this I have never known the trailer to "bounce" the way a car will with bad shocks.

I do not discount that something external may have damaged the tire, only that there is no evidence of any impact. Too the tire is on the left side of the trailer and I would hazard a guess that this is the less likely side to be damaged (hey it is simply a guess!).

I wanted to defend the Marathons. One had very high numbers when brand new, this one waited until 12,000 miles before having any issues.
The tires have never been driven even a few pounds below the recommended 65 lbs and they were in balance until just recently. They were simply fine. I understand that a lot of people will never have any issues with this tire. I also do not want to worry about failure. I will try an LT tire and see how it goes.
I will say that "in general" Michelin tires are very fine tires and they should give me peace of mind.

The final question is whether or not to switch to the 16" rims and tires or simply go with the 15" Michelins that are at or slightly over their load rating.....I really like my "Alcoa" style rims. Oh the vanity!

Bruce
No shocks on the trailer means you are asking the tires to do the job of converting motion (bounce) to heat. This means your tires are going to run hotter. Heat is the #1 enemy of tire longevity.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
So,
Just saying I wanted to find a way to mount shocks. Do I begin by calling Dexter and seeing if they have the parts and shocks I might want?
All in the quest of a perfect Bambi......
Bruce
Old 10-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Bruce - what's the weight of your trailer fully loaded? I think those Michelins - discounted for trailer use - come in around 1945# each (2140/1.1) so 3890# would be your trailer weight max for those tires. Caveat - I'm not a tire guy....
Old 10-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Bruce - what's the weight of your trailer fully loaded? I think those Michelins - discounted for trailer use - come in around 1945# each (2140/1.1) so 3890# would be your trailer weight max for those tires. Caveat - I'm not a tire guy....
We tip the scales "loaded" at about 4200 lbs. Definitely overloaded by definition. I am now looking at wheels styled more like mine to jump to the 16's...
Bruce
Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

We tip the scales "loaded" at about 4200 lbs. Definitely overloaded by definition. I am now looking at wheels styled more like mine to jump to the 16's...
Bruce
Yup - the GYMs would certainly cover that, but like you, I succumbed to GYMfear (and I had less evidence than you do! ) and went to the Michelins you were looking at. With 2 axles and a fully loaded weight of 5880#, I felt comfortable the 4 derated 15s were plenty sufficient for me. I think going to the 16s for your trailer is a better answer. I think folks have found Sendel (??) wheels they felt looked pretty stock...plenty of threads here on that as you've no doubt seen :-)

Good luck! We got ours before doing CT to ME to CT to TN to CT this summer and together with the TPMS it was just as worry free as could be. I hate that I gave in - the GYMs seemed just fine, but I'm glad I made the change.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Both my 19 and 20 ft single axles had shocks!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
17' Casitas, which have a similar axle, and similar weight to the 16' Bambi do not have shocks standard. There have been those that have added shocks, and report a "better" ride, but I wonder how they quantify that "better" ride.

One other note, the Casitas also come standard with the GYM's, and many have had problems with them.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Maybe I don't tow enough. I had no trouble with my 19ft Bambi GYM's in 3 years and about 15k miles, Then on my 20 ft Safari , about 30 k miles in 5 years I had one tread separation that I caught before it became trouble. We now have a 25 ft and again GYM's, but I will continue to use them because I check tire pressures all the time, and I don't exceed 65 mph.
I personally believe that trailer tires with their stiffer sidewalls are the best thing for a trailer.I use LT tires on my tow vehicle and notice the rougher ride from the p tires that were on for 5 years, but I wanted the load capacity. I think they are too rough for the A/S.
That being said, everyone seems to have an opinion, but I think there is a lot of fear-mongering going on with all the tire talk.
George
Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I am sure our 2006 19' has shocks.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I was watching one of the fishing shows, and there was an ad for Carlisle Radial trail RH tires. They come in 225 75 R 15 and 3 load weights; 2150, 2540, and 2830. They are suggested for boat trailers to toy haulers.
Has anyone heard of or experienced them?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I was watching one of the fishing shows, and there was an ad for Carlisle Radial trail RH tires. They come in 225 75 R 15 and 3 load weights; 2150, 2540, and 2830. They are suggested for boat trailers to toy haulers.
A few people in our unit have been using them with even worse results than with the GYM's.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Hi, I have one Carlisle because when I needed a new tire in Alaska that was all they had. So far, so good.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #70
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Shocks and tires

Quote:
So,
Just saying I wanted to find a way to mount shocks. Do I begin by calling Dexter and seeing if they have the parts and shocks I might want?
All in the quest of a perfect Bambi......
Bruce
Hi Bruce
I have called Dexter about purchasing their shock brackets separately. Bottom line is they only make them to install on axles for Airstream inc. orders. They are not for sale individually. You can have a machine shop make some for you. If you search this site for E-1492 you will find a drawing of the shock bracket. The other option is to buy the brackets ready to install from Inland RV. You can get OE shocks from any Airstream dealer.
If you wanted to stay with a 15" tire that has the load capacity you need for your single axle trailer and is not an ST tire, I would suggest the Continental Vanco 2 or the Good Year Cargo G26 in 225/70/15.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote