Old 04-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Bruce B,
I did NOT have this problem with my Airstream tires, but four Michelin "E" loads on my 2005 Duramax, TV.

After having purchased them at a close out sale as the store was being refurbished, they vibrated badly at 48 MPH. I returned back to the dealership and they stated they needed to be tested. I brought the truck into the Michelin dealership/rep, sure enough, they were out of round. Their comment seeing the place I purchased them was see if you can get them to exchange them when they reopen. I go back with less than 8K on all four tires and of course different management.
So the bottom line is, I'll go back to Firestone Transformers that I have run for years on my TV's.
I still have the tires on the truck, I picked up the Airstream today and do not plan on doing any cross country trips in the near future, but will replace the tires.
Other than that vibration at 48MPH, they feel otherwise ok.

I guess I'll get a hold of the NHSTA and provide the report of the non-repair and let them know that the Michelin rep here, was not interested in this coming out of their pockets.

Of course they were more than willing to sell me another set of tires.

Thanks for the insight, and it appears it happens to many different manufactured tires. After reading you information, Tires may become a priority this week.

Safe travels and Happy Airstreaming!

Happy Easter to all!

SL4BLLT

Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Bruce,

Reading about GYM's, I break out in a cold sweat

Seriously, I've had 442 tread separation blow outs with these Faberge eggs. That's with TPMS, balancing, CAT scaling every time I load the rig, and never exceeding 65mph.

OK, I'm exaggerating (on the number of tire failures) only because blow-outs while underway put a major huge damper on vacations... especially when a tread separates and flails the side of the trailer like a 6' reinforced rubber whip in the hands of a master who's arm is like a 15" rim spinning around at what seems like 2111 revolutions per mile (if this slave/master metaphor were traveling).. the thrashing, and smoke and odor and... well, you get the idea.

Anyway, after four failures, and one potential failure, I've replaced with 16" rims and Michelin LTX tires.

Two questions for you:

1. Is roadforce balancing necessary on my brand new LTX's? Discount Tire wants $20/ea. Licking my wounds on springing for 5 new rims and tires as it is...

2. Would dynamic wheel balancers provide any benefit (centramatics)?

Thanks

Old 04-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Post from guy with 2012 AS with failure is good thing

Let's everyone know with ST tires to be careful. I know what your saying about pirelli scorpions had a set on a tacoma and never liked them. Michilens and BFG KOs my favorite truck tires. I just put Commadore ST tires on from Big O have not read any bad info on them so figure may as well be tester. You want to see bad tire Goodyear ST truck tires horrible many jeeps came stock with them flats and sidewall issues.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
Is this what you mean by a bad sidewall? should this be replaced immediately? We do mostly 100 mile each way trips to camp, so no blasting across the desert for 5 hours at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000682.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	183343  
Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheshire View Post
Is this what you mean by a bad sidewall? should this be replaced immediately? We do mostly 100 mile each way trips to camp, so no blasting across the desert for 5 hours at a time.
That's entirely normal, and where the belts join. A bulge, rather than an indent, is a problem.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
dcheshire
The indentation is at the location of a body ply splice. What happens is that normally you have one or two layers (depending on size) of body cord to retain the pressure. During tire assembly there is a splice (or number of splices) and if the splice overlap is a bit larger than normal the result is lower forces on the extra layer. This means it stretches less so there is less sidewall stretch relative to the rest of the sidewall.

Let me know if you need more info.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
OK, I am really late to the party - and I'm posting just for those folks who come back later to read this.

First, thanks to Bruce for the original post. The only criticism I have is that you can sometimes tell if you are having tire problem by running your hands around the circumference of the tire. USE GLOVES!!! Not the mamby, pamby kind, but heavy duty work gloves. You're looking for bulges in the tread - the kind where you don't need a delicate touch to feel.

So in Bruce's story, he should have pulled over at the first sign of trouble and gotten out the gloves. If he didn't feel anything - and it's possible if the issue is small and developing - he should still do another pass some miles down the road or at the very least once he got home. Checking the pressure is good, but not sufficient.

And to second Tireman's diagnosis, that is indeed a ply splice and absolutely nothing to worry about.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
CapriRacer makes a good point on the gloves!

If you are lucky enough to catch a damaged/defective tire before the tread separates entirely, exposed radial cords are like sharpened steel spikes sticking out parallel to the tread. Running an ungloved hand around the tread will result in a painful, bloody, stab injury (from personal experience).
Old 04-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I run Yokahama Geolander on my pickup, when 1st put on truck squirmed but stopped after couple of ths. miles others have stated this also they are a little noisy, they are great tires as I have pur several sets since but not for A.S. run carlisles watch air pressure happy with & no problems Ill. not as hot as western states
Old 04-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Firestone/ Bridgestone ????
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Firestone/ Bridgestone ????
A little more info please. What are you asking?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Does anyone have any comments about them? I hear bout GYM and Mich mostly but never Firestone or Bridgestone.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
Thanks to Overlander and Tireman for giving me some piece of mind. ST's are a funny thing. My TV tires, I just buy the best and keep them inflated. ST's seem like even if you do that, you're still just waiting for a blowout
Old 04-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheshire View Post
Thanks to Overlander and Tireman for giving me some piece of mind. ST's are a funny thing. My TV tires, I just buy the best and keep them inflated. ST's seem like even if you do that, you're still just waiting for a blowout
That's exactly why I no longer buy, or use "ST" tires. I run all "LT" tires, and have gone to 16" wheels/tires on the Airstream to do this.

This is one of the areas where I agree with Andy Thompson..... "ST" means not good enough to use on a vehicle carrying passengers, and if they are not good enough for that, they are not good enough for my Airstream. YMMV.