Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Not tire rating, but tire weight

I was pulling wheels this weekend, doing brake work, and noticed the difference in weight between my Carlisle 'E' ST, and Maxxis 'E' ST

The Carlisle being significantly heavier

Found an interesting piece here:
Trailer Tires Explained - TDR Roundtable

I've always believed 'more is better' (with the only exception being a 34'), but in this case, the heavier unsprung weight may have a detrimental effect on the trailer (e.g. vibration)

Old 09-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
I was pulling wheels this weekend, doing brake work, and noticed the difference in weight between my Carlisle 'E' ST, and Maxxis 'E' ST

I've always believed 'more is better' (with the only exception being a 34'), but in this case, the heavier unsprung weight may have a detrimental effect on the trailer (e.g. vibration)
Not if the running gear is properly balanced.

If not, then the answer is "yes", that extra weight will pay negative dividends.

Andy

Old 09-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I agree that balanced running gear will reduce wheel assembly vibration, but it can't have any affect on a heavier tire absorbing less road irregularity and transferring that vibration to the trailer.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
OK,
Here is my logic, although not always proven to be logical.

All other things being sort of equal, the heavier tire must have thicker rubber. Logically it would take more force to bend the thicker rubber the same amount. From all of this, I conclude that the heavier tire would flex less and thus would absorb less of whatever shock forces it is subject to. Therefore it would transfer more of that force to the trailer. I will let greater minds contemplate the significance of the unsprung weight.

My inner frustrated engineer (I try to keep him heavily sedated) tells me that all of this is probably of fairly small significance in the large scheme of things. He and I are both too lazy and indifferent to do the math.

I think you need to attach your accelerometer to the trailer suspension arm and decide this once and for all.

Ken
Old 10-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The heavier tire will add to your unsprung weight which will transfer more vibration to the trailer. Will it matter, probably not. The difference is probably negligible. There are probably more chords in the heavier tire. Running a tire that has way more load capacity will make the ride stiffer as well. Tires with more chords may run hotter since there is more mass there to retain heat and more stuff to rub against each other. This is probably another reason trailer tires have lower speed ratings. Heat generated inside the tire can't get out as fast as a thinner lighter tire. Running a light tire with too much load will cause it to overheat as well. It is always a compromise.

Perry
Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I was pulling wheels this weekend, doing brake work, and noticed the difference in weight between my Carlisle 'E' ST, and Maxxis 'E' ST . . .

Are you running CENTRAMATIC or BALANCEMASTER balancers? The idea being that every little bit helps. A noticeable difference on our leaf sprung [?] Silver Streak.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

Hi, at 100 + miles per hour, the heavier tire could have separation due to centrifugal force. Motorcycles and cars, in the old days, would run shaved tires at places like Bonneville Salt Flats to prevent this from happening.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Yeah, I figure it can't hurt, my next upgrade will be the centramatics.

Bob- you know I don't exceed the manufacturer recommended speed rating of 65 mph.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The heavier tire will add to your unsprung weight which will transfer more vibration to the trailer. Will it matter, probably not. The difference is probably negligible. There are probably more chords in the heavier tire. Running a tire that has way more load capacity will make the ride stiffer as well. Tires with more chords may run hotter since there is more mass there to retain heat and more stuff to rub against each other. This is probably another reason trailer tires have lower speed ratings. Heat generated inside the tire can't get out as fast as a thinner lighter tire. Running a light tire with too much load will cause it to overheat as well. It is always a compromise.

Perry
OK, so I'm probably over-thinking it. But I thought there was some reason why A/S would stick with the 15"/ST combo, when they had so much success with earlier models using larger sizes. (not too mention, having way more tire choices)
Old 10-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Cost cutting is the mantra. It made America great.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote