billings , Montana
More snake oil...

Old 05-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Yes indeed!
I do however prefer the high altitude air you get in Colorado.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile nitrogen in tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
How do you purge the air from the tire to fill with 100% nitrogen? The tire is filled with air from the atmosphere as it is mounted, then filled the test of the way with nitrogen.

I'm thinking helium just to make them run lighter. Helium fills come with a blue cap which better matches my awnings! Just saying!
Racing tires brand new with out tubes or tubes mounted w/nitrogen not air. our lives depended on stable pressure w/out build up. 160 mph or faster on 2 wheels w/out any thing but helmet and leathers... As stated nitrogen gimmick for cars and trailers......Period....
Old 05-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The stable pressure is due to the lack of water not the fact it is nitrogen.

Perry
Old 05-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
The air in our atmosphere is composed of molecules of different gases. The most common gases are nitrogen (78%), oxygen (about 21%), and argon (almost 1%). Other molecules are present in the atmosphere as well, but in very small quantities.
So, to answer your specific questions: With nitrogen, your tire pressures will remain more constant, saving you a small amount in fuel and tire-maintenance costs. There will be less moisture inside your tires, meaning less corrosion on your wheels. You will not be able to feel any difference in the ride or handling or braking, unless your tire pressures were seriously out of spec and changing to nitrogen brought them back to the proper numbers.
I've dismounted tires (not mine) that had several quarts of water inside—probably from a compressed-air hose that collected water and was never purged properly.

These quotes were taken from a search of the internet.

The debate does change when you begin to consider that airing your tires at sea level with high humidity may not be as efficient or have the same gas proportions as compressed air at 10,000 feet elevation in Colorado. At least the percentage of Oxygen at high elevation would be LESS, the water content of the air is LESS and... beer tastes better.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
In racing applications the lack of oxygen in the tires would reduce fires.

Perry
Old 05-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I filled my tires with hydrogen so that they would weigh less. :|
Old 05-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile nitrogen in tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The stable pressure is due to the lack of water not the fact it is nitrogen.

Perry
This is true as I pointed out only new tubes or tires filled with nitrogen. As air has water which contaminates nitrogen making it worthless.
Heat caused by moisture in tires at racing speeds causes pressure to build, also air in struts, shocks etc. causes corrosion. Corrosion in airplane struts also known as landing gear can cause failure that can cause accidents.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I filled my tires with hydrogen so that they would weigh less. :|
The hydrogen molecule is the smallest of them all and would find its way through the rubber to freedom in short order resulting in a flat tire. I know we have all been away from school for a while. It takes some time to reach a level of financial stability that allows even thinking of owning an Airstream, but we all learned this stuff at some time. Nitrogen is pretty much inert. It does not react with other elements except at high temperatures. It will not react with the rubber in your tires. Air contains 28% oxygen and moisture as well. Add bacteria and we have a colony going. The oil in the rubber is the food. Tires rot from the inside because of this process and it uses oxygen thus reducing tire pressure. We end up replacing tires that are not really worn out because they are no longer safe. From the outside we protect our tires with sun shades and Armorall. from the inside we can protect the rubber with nitrogen, or not. It's your call but at least make an intelligent decision.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
The Source of All Truth

"These quotes were taken from a search of the internet."

Life in the new millennia. Read something on the internet and there it is, the truth for all.

Using Nitrogen is not going to hurt your tires, it is perfectly safe. There are probably some advantages but these are negligible in the common day application to truck and trailer tires. There will always be "some" air in there unless your COSTCO has a way to install tires in a vacuum ensuring 100% nitrogen. If, as some claim, you don't need to add air now and then, this might lead to neglecting the tires when traveling. I installed a set of Maxxis a couple of years ago and have lost almost no air in them. I check each spring when I dewinterize and before every trip. Still at 61 lbs and am amazed. When I have to add air, it is easy and I don't worry about degrading my "nitrogen". Keep life simple. Notice that I didn't follow this up with a claim that my tires are the best and you should all put them on your trailer.

If I were driving a race car or flying a jet I might look at this differently. If I were making carrier landings with my Airstream that would be a different thing too, but I am not even though a couple of panic stops felt like I was. It is human nature to support the decisions you make. I did it so everyone else should. If you like Nitrogen, go get it. I think P.T. Barnum said it best.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #25
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Nitrogen is great if you can get it for free. I would not pay extra for it.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
The hydrogen molecule is the smallest of them all and would find its way through the rubber to freedom in short order resulting in a flat tire. I know we have all been away from school for a while. It takes some time to reach a level of financial stability that allows even thinking of owning an Airstream, but we all learned this stuff at some time. Nitrogen is pretty much inert. It does not react with other elements except at high temperatures. It will not react with the rubber in your tires. Air contains 28% oxygen and moisture as well. Add bacteria and we have a colony going. The oil in the rubber is the food. Tires rot from the inside because of this process and it uses oxygen thus reducing tire pressure. We end up replacing tires that are not really worn out because they are no longer safe. From the outside we protect our tires with sun shades and Armorall. from the inside we can protect the rubber with nitrogen, or not. It's your call but at least make an intelligent decision.
You can't teach satire or sarcasm.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Helium is the lightest gas. Hydrogen is next. Helium is inert. Hydrogen is flammable as the Hindenburg "air ship" encountered in 1937. The USA had the Helium stockpiles and would not sell to Germany. So the second best gas was Hydrogen, knowing it was flammable. Now we know the rest of the story.

Whenever I need to "add Nitrogen" to my Costco tires... I drive up to a Costco Auto Service and they do not hesitate to fill them to specifications. That is why I buy my tires from Costco, price and Nitrogen.

Am I full of "hot air". Yes. But my hot air is pretty stable, considering the options.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #28
Site Team

, Minnesota
Would anyone use moisture & oxygen scavenger tire balancing beads?
I'll write a patent application if you guys will crowdfund me for 250k.