Old 04-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
I asked our Ford service mgr. He just rolled his eyes!

Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, '11 Touareg TDI
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Ive been using nitrogen for yrs. I get my nitrogen tank refilled for $12. I would guess that bottle would fill more than 30 tires. I fill my friends tires for free. There is benefits using it, but its not worth more than $3. a tire.

r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Was considering the purchase of a Nissan GTR a short while ago and noted that nitrogen fill on tires was a must. I imagine that the expansion of the heated air in your tire generated by your 170+ mph turn around the track is not something you'd want to risk.

I asked the dealer what it ran for the N2 fill service, and he said it was about 6 bucks/tire. Cheapest thing you'll ever see on that car.....

For $30 a tire you could fill the tire with liquid N2 (not that you'd want to).
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I run nitrogen in all of our vehicles as well as the Airstream. I also have my own tank to fill from, so it is almost as cheap as compressed air. I find the tires hold pressure longer and don't react to thermal changes as much. The primary use of nitrogen in tires that I am aware of is in aircraft tires. The minimal pressure change with wide thermal differences being the reason. Thankfully, my Airstream does not have to spend eighteen hours at -60f then almost instantly accelerate from 0 to 160mph at +95f.
Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
The primary use of nitrogen in tires that I am aware of is in aircraft tires. The minimal pressure change with wide thermal differences being the reason.
The reason Aircraft tires have Nitrogen is it does not support combustion.
Airframe and Powerplant. Airline Transport Pilot.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #20
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Pure bunkum.
Attached Images
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Pure bunkum.
Bunkum, can only be supported by data, not opinions.

Measure the temperature and you will see a difference, as we have done.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
I understand the physics BUT when I fill my tires with "nitrogen", get a flat, and reinflate with "air" it does not throw the car off, it doesnt drop my mileage an amount I can notice and doesn't improve my driving experience. I find it impossible to justify spending money on snake oil (air) for my tires for my airstream, track car, 4x4 or TV for this reason.

If I dont notice it on the track I probably can't notice it daily driving.
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
To further confuse the issue lets make sure weíre comparing apples to apples.
I believe that Lew and Andy are referring to pure gas provided by a commercial supplier.
From what Iíve seen of the shops in this area, and in talking with people in training classes, they are using nitrogen tire filling machines. These connect to shop air and use a filter membrane to extract the nitrogen content from the incoming air. The manufacturer of the unit in our shop claims 95% nitro content after two purge and fill cycles.
Shop air is a soup of oil, water, rust and who knows what else. Obviously if the filters in the machine havenít been maintained the quality of the gas produced is suspect.
By coincidence I ran across a jobbers catalog today offering this type of equipment starting at $129 per month lease. With 2 fills youíve covered your cost and the rest is pure profit.
If you can verify the shop is using pure gas I donít see any harm. However, I still maintain if you have to pay for it youíre paying too much.

AirForums # 2806
WBCCI / VAC # 6411

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Measure the temperature and you will see a difference, as we have done.
So what were the temps Andy?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Our mechanic said he was approached about buying one of the machines, but felt he would be ripping off his customers as there is little benefit.

I attended a tire Q&A at a car event. The moderator explained that the nitrogen molecules are big and can't as easily escape from the tire. That makes some sense, but what is the harm in checking tires every month or so.

The green caps do look cool though!
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
For street use: see if you can get the cool green valve stem caps and call it even.

Some facts: N2 is used in aircraft tires and race car tires because it is more stable and does not have the smaller molecules of hydrogen (<1% of air) that could leak out more readily. More importantly, N2 also does not have water vapor, which will be found in most compressed air. Water expands in the tire at race temperatures, can freeze at aircraft flight temperatures (-40 deg. or cooler) and both of these critical uses of pneumatic tires are a little bit out of our normal driving experience. Andy's suggestion of taking real-world data on the freeway will show you that compressed iar (and dried if possible) is not noticeably different.
@Michelle: since the outside of a tire is surrounded by air, the relatively small amount of "pure" N2 in a tire would not inhibit combustion. Aviator's stability response sums up the rationale.
The Costco-purchased tires on my toad were N2 filled at no extra charge, but now have been topped off by air and the tires have not exploded, disintegrated, but had lost over 10% pressure as I tracked them over about 4 months until I topped them up.

There is some value in having a dry gas fill. If the shop has a regen or refrigerated drier on their compressed air then there would be no practical difference. Unless you decide to run the Silver State at 170 mph.
Cliff & Andrea,
2 cats, but they stay home
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
2008 28' Safari SE
Punta Gorda , Florida
After reading all of these informed opinions, I am going to follow Andy's recommendation and put it to the test. The $30 figure the Ford sales person threw at me may have been the sales person shooting from the hip. In any event, I am going find the best place to get the nitrogen, probably Costco as Andy suggested, fill one or two tires and determine the best way to measure my tire temperature after being on the road. The nitrogen tires will either run cooler or they won't. If they do, it has to be easier on the tires.
I want to thank you all for your experiences and thoughts. Lets see what happens.
John Dibble, Punta Gorda, FL
mysecondjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Don't forget that ordinary atmospheric air is already 78% nitrogen and 20% oxygen.

Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote