Old 06-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
There is no relevant specification for air pressure to be changed on a warm or hot tire.

One may observe pressure on a hot tire. Changing tire pressure on a hot tire is foolish as there is no specification for pressure on a hot tire that I a aware of.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 06-17-2016, 04:05 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
65 PSI and watch tire ware.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I think I remember reading several years ago where someone said that if higher tire pressures (65 & 80 psi) were used on the old wheels on vintage Airstreams, the rims could crack at the bead and cause the wheel to fail.

Does anyone else remember reading something to that effect?
Old 06-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Lisbon , New York
The pressure on the tire sidewall is the maximum cold inflation pressure.
Most tire manufacturers will provide, on their website, a chart with cold inflation pressures for the specific tire model by tire size and the weight that the tire is carrying. This is best determined, as someone mentioned above, by weighing your trailer as you typically load it.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #19
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Watch out for old alloy wheels, paticulary the oval shaped slotted wheels, Westerns, made by North American used in the 80s. They are excellant wheels, but they are only rated for "D" range at 65psi. I have cracked them with 80psi "Es." If it is hard to find a slow leak, look for a cracked rim usually running around the rim just under the bead lip.
guskmg
Old 06-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewfiks View Post
Hello All:
We are finally going to use our new to us 1978 AS Sovereign 31' Land Yacht. It is mostly original with the exception of the refrigerator. We are planning on gutting it and updating to our likes, but for now it is going into service. The kids want to go to Mount Rushmore at the end of the month. I began inspecting it for our journey and noticed cracks in all four tires. I replaced them with E rated trailer tires. My question is do I run them at 80 psi or at 65 psi?

Thanks for any help. I am anticipating many opportunities to learn on this trip.

When you replaced the tires with E rated tires did the installer check to see if your rims can handle the increased pressure? If not, you might want to go back and have them check.

To do this correctly you really do need to know the weight of your trailer. I use the GVW posted on and in the trailer. Once you know that, take the weight rating for your E tire and multiply it by 4 to see the load carrying capacity of the tires. You should be well over the GVW of the trailer and that is a good thing.

Inflating cold to 80 psi will provide the maximum for each tire. You can run less but that will diminish the amount each tire can carry. There is a chart out there somewhere that shows how this works. The tires should always be able to carry more than the weight of your trailer. I like to be at least 15% over.

It makes little sense to me to follow the instructions on the side of your trailer if you have changed out the tires to something quite different from the originals. And, proper inflation is important, more so than having a nice TPM system installed.

If you google Maxxi tires, you should be able to find the chart I talked about. Hopefully someone will chime in with a link. And make sure your tires are balanced. Years ago I put some new tires on my tent trailer and the guy told me that they generally don't balance tires on small trailers. He went on to say they don't do it on boat trailers either. I told him that they were going to do it on my trailer and they did grudgingly and I never went back.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:35 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Is this the one Aftermath? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71x0iLT9jAS.pdf
Old 06-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Yes, this is the one I remember reading. Thanks for posting the link.

I am not sure that these figures apply to all brands but I think you can get a ballpark figure by following them.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
The tire comp say put in what the 80 LBS. 65 will scuff to much and cause belts to co

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewfiks View Post
Hello All:
We are finally going to use our new to us 1978 AS Sovereign 31' Land Yacht. It is mostly original with the exception of the refrigerator. We are planning on gutting it and updating to our likes, but for now it is going into service. The kids want to go to Mount Rushmore at the end of the month. I began inspecting it for our journey and noticed cracks in all four tires. I replaced them with E rated trailer tires. My question is do I run them at 80 psi or at 65 psi?

Thanks for any help. I am anticipating many opportunities to learn on this trip.

Ben towing for over 40+ years and the tires should be inflated to the rec pressure otherwise they will scoff to much when turning and that will make the belts work loose in a short time. U bought 80 LB tires so that is what go's in them
Old 06-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I've learned the hard way to always run at the recommended pressure, in our case too, 80lbs. Under inflated tires can run hot which can lead to failure particularly in hot conditions which is what you will find at Mount Rushmore.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
And check the pressures early in the morning, before the sun starts beating on them.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatkovich View Post
Ben towing for over 40+ years and the tires should be inflated to the rec pressure otherwise they will scoff to much when turning and that will make the belts work loose in a short time. U bought 80 LB tires so that is what go's in them
I will second this. I lost a couple of tires on my small tent trailer many many years ago. I found out after the second one that I had been running them "under inflated". The tire guy told me that when you under inflate a tire it causes it to flex more which creates more heat. Over time, it is the heat that causes all the trouble.

I run LRD tires and inflate them to the max on the sidewall. This number is what the tire is DESIGNED to handle. Anything less will increase flexing which will increase heat. Now, if you feel that running them at max is too rough for your trailer suspension then that is another issue all together.

Andy has spoken of "over hitching" especially when using an Equalizer hitch. Doing so creates a "stiffness" between the trailer and the tv. Stress gets transferred to the trailer, to the skin and other parts. His claim, which makes sense to me, is that tightening up the link can cause many problems with popped rivets and even cracks in the skin. This is also my take on going overboard with tires. Too much tire at pressures too high for what is needed can cause trouble. If you need to carry 5K, do you really need tires designed to carry say, 9K?

Disclaimer: This is my opinion only, probably not worth even two cents to anyone buy myself.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Yes, this is the one I remember reading. Thanks for posting the link.

I am not sure that these figures apply to all brands but I think you can get a ballpark figure by following them.
To my knowledge all ST type tires carry the loads seen in the MAXXIS table.

Load/Inflation tables are almost all the same across all tire brands as the tables come from the US Tire & Rim Association.

A few Michelin tires are the only exceptions as some of their tires were designed in European standards and when you do math in Metric and round and then convert to inch & pound the load or inflation may shift about one block, so if you have Michelin tires then you should use Michelin tables.