Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Sacramento , California
New Tires?????

Hi,my 2004 Bambi is needing new tires this spring so I am asking for a little advice from you all.I am in Sacramento,Ca. and have the factory tires on her right now.
norcalcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalcindy View Post
Hi,my 2004 Bambi is needing new tires this spring so I am asking for a little advice from you all.I am in Sacramento,Ca. and have the factory tires on her right now.
Replace them with the same, but get as much balancing done as you can.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Andy, How do they balance them. I have mine spun balanced on a machine but i remember years back when we used to use a machine that sits under the tire mounted on the car with high speed rollers. We would turn this thing on and get the tire spinning and watch some contraption that tells you where to put the weights. It was actually pretty dangerous and we stopped doing it in the early 80's. Is the brake drum not balanced to itself and the addition of a tire and wheel balanced to itself not going to be good enough? Just curious..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Andy, How do they balance them. I have mine spun balanced on a machine but i remember years back when we used to use a machine that sits under the tire mounted on the car with high speed rollers. We would turn this thing on and get the tire spinning and watch some contraption that tells you where to put the weights. It was actually pretty dangerous and we stopped doing it in the early 80's. Is the brake drum not balanced to itself and the addition of a tire and wheel balanced to itself not going to be good enough? Just curious..

Vinnie
Vinnie.

This is how we do it.

Wheel Balancing Photos - Inland RV

Todays hub and drums are far better than years ago, so if you can only get the tire and wheel balanced, you shouldn't be in too bad a shape.

Andy
Old 01-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Oh.. got it. I have seen that tool before. That is much safer than the contraption we used to use.

Thanks for the link.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
You will find some other threads on the Forum discussing Goodyear Marathons versus the Maxxis tires. We bought a set of Maxxis for our 31' 05 Classic and are very pleased with them thus far. Totally agree that balancing is a must regardless of your tire selection.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Well, the drums are generally a fairly small diameter and close to the center of the rotating mass. I dont think an imballance that close would be that much of an issue but yes, they come ballanced from the manufacturer.

My question, which is a bit off topic... when do you figure weather checking is enough of an issue to warrent replacement. Certainly dont want a tire coming from together but dont want to throw money away either. We just bought our new (1974) 27 footer and brought her home. My wife calls her "the other woman". She is going to be my ham radio shack as well as function as our traveling hotel. The tread on her tires is practically new. Previous owner says less than a thousand miles on them and I dont doubt her. Thing is, the weather has put cracks and such in her sidewalls.. I guess, when in doubt, spend the bux.. See, supidity usually is answered by fear.. will haul her to the tire shop for new rubber.

thanks for listening to my ramble...

Lee
pixiehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiehat View Post
Well, the drums are generally a fairly small diameter and close to the center of the rotating mass. I dont think an imballance that close would be that much of an issue but yes, they come ballanced from the manufacturer.

Lee
Drums used in the RV industry today are unicast (one piece) and are reasonably well machined.

However, none of them are balanced by the manufacturer, for the sake of balancing.

Note in our photo that we find the heavy spot of the hub and drum, as well as the tire and wheel.

We can say, with certainty, that maybe, just maybe, we "might" find one or two drums, "per year," of the unicast variety, that is actually in balance. Mostly close, within a couple of ounces usually, but certainly "not balanced."

Andy