Old 03-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Caution with Beam Torque Wrenches

You folks using beam torque wrenches please have them checked at least once in the near future as they do go out of cal (lose accuracy) and you'll find they are 'handed'. In other words, they will be more accurate in one direction or the other! They are excellent tools, but as any tool they need attention during their useful life.

Retired Navy Aircraft maintenance officer and A-6E driver. BUFFs forever!

Take care,

Old trucks and old trailers . . . a comfortable combination!
AIR 1446
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master
South Shore , Kentucky
I have aluminum wheels as some others do on here. I also use the click type torque wrench. The thing that I notice is that whenever I set it to the proper torque is that if I didn't stop there I could easily tighten it beyond what the torque calls for. I've trained myself to stop at the proper torque even though there is an urge to give it that extra tug. I figure they have a torque setting for a reason and I try and keep it set to that. I haven't had a wheel come loose. I've gotten used to this method now and I don't worry about it while traveling down the road.

Visit our church on the web!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:35 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member
Richmond , Virginia
Not having used a torque wrench before, what is it I am looking for? Is it in the troque wrench isle at HD?

Getting the Bambi on Wednesday(!). Considering how much emphasis the owners manual places on checking those lugs, especially on the first trip (that would be coming home from the dealer), I appreciate any info. on identifing and selecting a torque wrench.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 07:39 AM   #32
Rivet Master
2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I know very little about anything but I just got one from It cost me $28.95, made by CTI (whoever they are?) and it clicks at the set torque lbs. It goes from 50 to 150, I think--it's down at my trailer or I'd go look.

It did my lug nuts at 85 lbs. ; by the way the lug nuts on my trailer wiggle. Someone told me they have non-removable caps so they look good......luckily I didn't try to remove them. the caps.
Kistler & Brenda

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 02:54 PM   #33
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
torque wrench

I do not believe these are available @ HD. Auto parts stores will have them. In with the rest of the hand tools. Sears (Craftsman) will have them for sale too.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote