Old 06-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Discount Tires is not a slam dunk for mounting the Michelins on a trailer.

One dealer in my area (Naperville IL) flat out refused and would only mount ST tires.

Another (Addison IL) required a lengthy discussion before they would consent.

Greg

Hmmmm, I had my MICHELIN LTX / MS 2 P235/ R15 108T EX tires purchased from and mounted by the Discount Tire dealership located on Boughton Road in Bolingbrook IL. They asked me to what pressure did I want the tires inflated to. Full warranty no comments or questions asked.
2013 30' International Airstream.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:02 PM   #44
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Agreed, this seems to go on a case-by-case basis, probably depending on the feelings of the local store or district manager.
Well, as it turns out my local Discount Tire shop, which was happy to agree to put those tires on our trailer and charge my credit card in advance, decided today that these tires are not of the appropriate weight capacity for our trailer. I tried explaining that the GVWR of our trailer is well under the capacity of the tires, but he insisted that he wanted a higher capacity tire. These tires have a 109 rating, but he said he'd only feel comfortable with a tire in the 112-114 rating range. So, no dice.

So for us this experience means that to get rid of our ST tires we'll just go the 16" route. We'll do that sometime in the next couple of months after I've had time to shop around for rims, tires and installation.

He did refund our money in full, with no arguments and with plenty of apologies.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
New Michelin 15" Tires

Hi GettinAway,
You have choices. Purchase new 15" wheels with the same bolt pattern and offset as the 14". Search my posts for details and find that I and others have changed to 15" wheels and Michelin LTX on our FC23FB. Purchased mine mounted and balanced from PerformancePlusTire.com delivered to my home. I've been completely satisfied.

Raceline 15x6 5-4.5 bolt pattern wheel (4)$384.00
Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15XL (4)$580.00

ps: After a road hazard blowout on a long trip, I ordered another 15" combo to replace my original 14" spare. Had it shipped to our marina in FL. Fits fine in the spare carrier.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Here was another choice. Very close to weight specs of GYMs and a 15"LT

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDeta...=375SR5SCORATR
Old 06-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #47
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
New Michelin 15" Tires

Hey, that's a very promising-looking tire. It seems to be a legitimate LT tire vs. the 15" tire offered by Michelin, so I'm hoping that also means no de-rating is necessary. The service description, 110/107S, looked odd to me at first, but when I read the details on the Tire Rack website, it became clear. The first rating (110) applies when the tire is installed on a truck with a single-wheel rear axle, while the second applies when the tire is used in a dual rear application.

So, if this is a true LT tire, the full 110 service description load rating of 2337 per tire should be available, which should provide plenty of headroom. I'll definitely follow up with Pirelli and/or my local tire dealer.

FYI, here's the tire rack page that explains service descriptions: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=35

Old 06-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #48
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Local tire dealer says the nearest Pirelli tires in that size are 3 days away and that the tread on them is very aggressive. So, we're probably not going this route for 2 reasons: (1) this particular tire is apparently not that commonly stocked and we don't want to find ourselves in the boonies with no way to get one quickly, and (2) we don't want to give our trailer the rough ride that probably comes with an aggressive tread.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Hi GettinAway,
You have choices. Purchase new 15" wheels with the same bolt pattern and offset as the 14". Search my posts for details and find that I and others have changed to 15" wheels and Michelin LTX on our FC23FB. Purchased mine mounted and balanced from PerformancePlusTire.com delivered to my home. I've been completely satisfied.

Raceline 15x6 5-4.5 bolt pattern wheel (4)$384.00
Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15XL (4)$580.00

ps: After a road hazard blowout on a long trip, I ordered another 15" combo to replace my original 14" spare. Had it shipped to our marina in FL. Fits fine in the spare carrier.
Thanks! I was getting ready to order the Sendel T02 wheels, but decided to put in a septic tank up at the farm. Ha! Needless to say, the budget is blown. We are only making one longer camping trip, this summer (Missouri to Colorado) we decided to risk making the trip on the old (original) GYMs. I'll be making this switch next year.
Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
After much research went with the Michelin's LTX's 15". Took all four wheels in to Sam's club no problem having mounted. Even with the ST"s already on the wheel's saved those for a friends small flat bed trailer that is hardly ever used.
Out the door cost with rebate only $495 which is less than putting some ST tires on. They are a little tighter in the wheel wells though. Working on what pressure to run at. I don't have to worry about over loading just under 4000 lbs ready for camping.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:17 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Good choice. I'd start at max pressure and work my way down if necessary.