Old 06-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
Glad you noticed that the different bolt pattern means that you cannot use 15" wheels off of other Airstreams. Many of us with 23' trailers have upgraded the wheels to Sendel T02 or T03's to be able to use the Michelin's.

At about $100 each they are not cheap, but you can get by with a 14" spare and four wheels don't cost that much compared to the value of the trailer and the peace of mind. Plus, to my eye they look better.
Hmmm, there are some 15" T03s on Amazon for $76, delivered. Must be a catch. They look nice though. Plus my original wheels have some corrosion anyway.
I realize there's additional benefits to going to the 15s from 14s. Like a small amount of extra ground clearance. Might come in handy on some of those roads in Alaska.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:36 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
One tire I seriously considered before I purchased the 15" Michelins were the
Nokian cLine 225/70R15 C 112/110 (115N) S CARGO
up to 112 mph, max load 2470 lb
Discount Tire manager said they were a good tire made with a synthetic compound for better UV protection plus a higher load capacity. I went with the Michelins due to availability.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Sandy , Oregon
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
While I love Michelin tires I dont understand why everyone puts them under there AS. Personally I use Carlisle tires under my trailers my st225/75R15 radial hd tires have a load rating of 2830lbs per tire and are made specifically to be used on a trailer. Please dont take this the wrong way im just trying to understand the reason for putting a non trailer tire under your trailer.
After 6 years and 22k on my GYM tires, I replaced them with Carlise's "E" rated tires. I checked the old tires and I saw zero issues or problems with the GYM's, almost bought them again...
Anyhow, to my surprise, after a 2963 mile trip to Jackson WY and back to Oregon, my MPG was 15.5. Can't say why or how, this happened, but the only change (TP was always 65) was the new tires. The GYM only gave me 12.5. I have 2014 F350 with a 6.7 diesel, FC 30 ft trailer. Very happy with the Carlisle's...
Old 06-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
"The Michelin 108 T described above are Extra Load tires. At 50 PSI they are rated as a D 8 ply and at 80 PSI as E 10 PLY."

Frankly, this is confusing to me.

The p235x15XL tires are just that, a P rated tire that can carry up to 50 psi. It is a very similar tire to the LT235x15 load range C that Michelin used to sell and was a C rated tire. (50 psi maximum) I ran the LT load range C until I could not get them any more and then switched to the P...XL tire.

You are correct that D (65 psi) and E(80 pis) rated tires can carry higher pressures and loads, but Michelin does not make them in a 15" size. I think you can get a 15" D rated Goodyear Wrangler still. I saw a set of those on the trailer of a retired Goodyear tire designer who did not like the ST tires at all.

Some of the reasons given for ST tires is that the rubber is compounded to last longer in infrequent service, they carry higher loads for a small size, they are better for overloads, and P tires will not stay on the wheels and will make the trailer sway. So far as I know, at least for my trailer, none of those things are really true.

Disclaimer, I actually have Goodyear Marathons(LR D) on one of my trailers and 15" Michelins on the other. I pull the one with the Michelins about 10,000 miles a year. I change tires every 4th year sitting in my driveway. I would rather do it there than have it done on the road.
Not so, I have those 15" E2 Michelins on my 30' Airstream. I have done extensive research on these tires and they are awesome tires well suited for the 30' Airstream. The Michelin Defender series is essentially the same tire with more aggressive thread design more suited for off-road use.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Not so, I have those 15" E2 Michelins on my 30' Airstream. I have done extensive research on these tires and they are awesome tires well suited for the 30' Airstream. The Michelin Defender series is essentially the same tire with more aggressive thread design more suited for off-road use.

RE: Michelin LTX M/S 2/ P235/ R15 108T , these extra load tires come with a circled E2 stamped on them. That means the tire is D rated 8 PLY at 50 PSI and E rated 10 PLY at 65 PSI.
The 108T and the Circled E2 stamped on the tire what you are looking for.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
E2 on a tire sidewall means France

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
RE: Michelin LTX M/S 2/ P235/ R15 108T , these extra load tires come with a circled E2 stamped on them. That means the tire is D rated 8 PLY at 50 PSI and E rated 10 PLY at 65 PSI.
The 108T and the Circled E2 stamped on the tire what you are looking for.
Franklyfrank,

Do you have a reference for "E2" meaning something about the tire rating? On the tirerack website, I found a definition that is completely different:

"The letter "e" (or "E") and number code combination (positioned in a circle or rectangle) identify the country through which an approved tire was originally registered..."

The link for this is http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=15

The tirerack website goes on to say E2 is the code for France.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #35
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
franklyfrank,

do you have a reference for "e2" meaning something about the tire rating? On the tirerack website, i found a definition that is completely different:

"the letter "e" (or "e") and number code combination (positioned in a circle or rectangle) identify the country through which an approved tire was originally registered..."

the link for this is http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=15

the tirerack website goes on to say e2 is the code for france.
x2!!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
After much research and deliberation I finally replaced the GYM tires on my '09 International. I decided not to go with the 16" replacement wheels and stayed with the original 15" wheels. I purchased the Michelin LTX M/S2 (P)235/75R15 108T tires. Based on the experience of others on the forum and the weight of my 25FB I am confident that I made a good choice, for me. I had them inflated to 44 psi as was recommended.

My GYM tires were over four years old and, while the tread looked good, I just didn't want to risk a tread separation or blowout and all the issues these may cause.

I guess time will tell if my confidence in these tires was well founded.
I made the identical switch 4 years ago on my 25 Safari. The results are zero tire trouble, a very smooth ride and the ability to go above 65 mph. I take at least one multi day freeway trip in very hot weather. When I was running St tires of various brands, I had 6 blowouts. Believe me, changing a tire beside the freeway in 100+ temps is no fun at all.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Franklyfrank,

Do you have a reference for "E2" meaning something about the tire rating? On the tirerack website, I found a definition that is completely different:

"The letter "e" (or "E") and number code combination (positioned in a circle or rectangle) identify the country through which an approved tire was originally registered..."

The link for this is http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=15

The tirerack website goes on to say E2 is the code for France.
I have decided not comment on this tread anymore however this needs to be clarified. These are great tires and straightforward replacements for Airstreams with 15" wheels.

Sorry to disagree however your post is misleading and just plain wrong.
Type in the tire Michelin LTX/ MS/2 P235 R15/ 108T EX.
A number of dealers will come up and the most informative an accurate is Discount Tire. Click on it and the tire comes up. Click on each individual tire description and the meaning of the letters and numbers will come up.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #38
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Just ordered a set the new Michelin Defender LTX M/S 235/75R15/XL 109T tires from Discount Tire in our area. It seems they are finally available, so we'll have them installed on Friday if all goes according to plan. There's even a $70 rebate in effect thru Saturday based on buying 4 tires.

They will mount, balance and sell us a road hazard warranty. The only thing he asked was the GVWR for the trailer (7600). He did the math and said he would be fine with putting them on for us.

So by this weekend we'll have our new tires and Centramatics mounted. Then I'll just reprogram the TPMS for the lower pressure (44-45 PSI is the number I've been seeing here on the forum) and we we'll be good to go.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Let us know how you like them once they are installed. I may look to replace mine with the same thing sometime next year. Unfortunately, the closest Discount Tire is about 85 miles from here.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #40
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Will do, thanks.

It's unlikely DT has any special access to Michelin product, per-se. So, I'm sure lots of tire dealers who handle the Michelin brand will sell these new Defenders now that they seem to be entering the "tire stream."

Old 06-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Discount Tires is not a slam dunk for mounting the Michelins on a trailer.

One dealer in my area (Naperville IL) flat out refused and would only mount ST tires.

Another (Addison IL) required a lengthy discussion before they would consent.

Greg
Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #42
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Agreed, this seems to go on a case-by-case basis, probably depending on the feelings of the local store or district manager.

Per my previous research, our local Costco won't even consider this - mostly because they said they do not work on travel trailers anyway. The local Costco person said that if they had no idea what vehicle it was going on, they'd be happy to put the tires on rims and balance them, but that's it. Our local DT was fine with doing the entire job, so that's where we'll go even though it's probably a bit more expensive. Still, that's less expensive than repairing our wheel well after a catastrophic tread separation.

We're also hopeful that once the local DT puts those tires on the trailer, any DT would help us out if we got a flat, etc. We'll see. Meanwhile, it gets those dadgum ST tires off our trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Discount Tires is not a slam dunk for mounting the Michelins on a trailer.

One dealer in my area (Naperville IL) flat out refused and would only mount ST tires.

Another (Addison IL) required a lengthy discussion before they would consent.

Greg