Old 06-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
After much research and deliberation I finally replaced the GYM tires on my '09 International. I decided not to go with the 16" replacement wheels and stayed with the original 15" wheels. I purchased the Michelin LTX M/S2 (P)235/75R15 108T tires. Based on the experience of others on the forum and the weight of my 25FB I am confident that I made a good choice, for me. I had them inflated to 44 psi as was recommended.

My GYM tires were over four years old and, while the tread looked good, I just didn't want to risk a tread separation or blowout and all the issues these may cause.

I guess time will tell if my confidence in these tires was well founded.
I have read many of the tire threads and I am convinced 16" LT Michelins are the way to go. I've had two tread separations in the last year with trailer tires both times causing damage to AS. If I didn't live in the heat of FL or if I never drive over 65, maybe the ST's would be OK but my 25 weighs over 7000 lbs and I'm ready for LT's and load range E. From the number of tire posts, it's clear this issue is a large concern!

Old 06-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
M...

Why 16"? It appears that the 15" Michelins have more than adequate specs.

Thanks,
John

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
New Michelin 15" Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Vicki View Post
M...

Why 16"? It appears that the 15" Michelins have more than adequate specs.

Thanks,
John

Just one guy's opinion...

A) they're officially LT (light truck) classification, not P (passenger) classification

B) they have more capacity than original GYMs and AS is using them on some trailers (feels like an endorsement)

C) some like to have an extra cushion of capacity since each wheel doesn't actually see the average of the 4. The 15" Michelins max out at 7940 for a set of 4, so if you want say 20% headroom and you're over 6350#, you'd want the 16s for margin.

Just some guesses in my part. At 6000# in the scales, I'm comfortable with the 15" version.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
Michelin tires

I'm looking for a set of Alcoa 15" 6 lug that they have replaced for 16".Anyone have a set near Atlanta?
Mike & Nancy Gore WBCCI #2914 S E Camping Unit 012 Roswell,Ga.
mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"The Michelin 108 T described above are Extra Load tires. At 50 PSI they are rated as a D 8 ply and at 80 PSI as E 10 PLY."

Frankly, this is confusing to me.

The p235x15XL tires are just that, a P rated tire that can carry up to 50 psi. It is a very similar tire to the LT235x15 load range C that Michelin used to sell and was a C rated tire. (50 psi maximum) I ran the LT load range C until I could not get them any more and then switched to the P...XL tire.

You are correct that D (65 psi) and E(80 pis) rated tires can carry higher pressures and loads, but Michelin does not make them in a 15" size. I think you can get a 15" D rated Goodyear Wrangler still. I saw a set of those on the trailer of a retired Goodyear tire designer who did not like the ST tires at all.

Some of the reasons given for ST tires is that the rubber is compounded to last longer in infrequent service, they carry higher loads for a small size, they are better for overloads, and P tires will not stay on the wheels and will make the trailer sway. So far as I know, at least for my trailer, none of those things are really true.

Disclaimer, I actually have Goodyear Marathons(LR D) on one of my trailers and 15" Michelins on the other. I pull the one with the Michelins about 10,000 miles a year. I change tires every 4th year sitting in my driveway. I would rather do it there than have it done on the road.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
At least you have a choice. I've got a 23FB that still has the original GYM tires. They are 14"! I can't find an alternative.
Maxxis makes a superior 14 inch trailer tire.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #21
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
After reading tire threads for years I have come to the conclusion that those getting good service out of ST trailer tires are those using them on lighter trailers. I have had trouble with GYM, Carlisle, and Maxis Ds & Es. On a trip to Alaska I lost 4 tires, all do to tread separation, one resulted in a blowout causing about $1,000 to the trailer. Carlisle said they would pay for the damage if I sent them the tire. That was unreasonable on a long trip to wait around for shipping instructions when their damage history is so well known. Besides, Discount Tire had taken already replaced the tire many miles back.
guskmg
Old 06-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #22
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
I went with the 15" Michelin M/S2's 2 years ago and have been very pleased. My Argosy weighs 4300# empty and 6,000# loaded so even with the 10% reduction for trailer use I have almost a ton to spare. I prefer the 15" P rated because I have 39 year old axles that still have good travel and the P's have more tire depth and run at a lower pressure than the LT's so theoretically should have a softer ride 50 psi vx LT's 80 psi.

I was able to buy a set of 2008 Alcoa take offs at the International Rally flea market for $25/ wheel. The polished surfaces had a spider web etch but that polished out with about 2 hours of polishing each.

One thing to watch with the Michelin's vs trailer tires is sidewall deflection when making very tight turns like when parking. After I am lined up I usually pull straight ahead a few feet then back up to take the side stress off the tires. Also check the inside wheel well clearance. My original steel wagon wheels had more clearance on the inside. With the allow wheels I had to add 1/4" spacers so the tires don't rub the inner wheel well when parking

The only Michelin's I have ever seen with tread separation were on a B Van my dad had. They were probably overloaded and about 10 years old. They separated but did not throw the tread.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I swapped out my original AS 15 inch rims with Michelin LT's (less than 2k miles on them) for some roofing work I had going on. The guy saw the tires and I told him I was waiting for my wife to list them somewhere. We went with the LT's after having a GYM blow out causing $7k worth of damage to the side of our trailer. I will say Goodyear paid for all of our damages. All I was out was the fuel in taking it to a shop who had a good record on skin replacement. Since then we have gone the 16 inch route with LT tires. The stress level is now much lower when we tow.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #24
KI7HVV

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
At least you have a choice. I've got a 23FB that still has the original GYM tires. They are 14"! I can't find an alternative.
I have a 2014 23FB International Serenity which I replaced my 14" GYM's for 15" wheels and Michelins mentioned by the OP. They fit great with no modification needed but if you use a 15" spare you will need to get creative with the mounting bracket.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Find someone who is upgrading to 16" and buy their 15". You can usually get them for a good price.
I imagine I could fit 15" tires/wheels on it, but I'd have to buy the wheels somewhere else. The bolt pattern is different on the 14s. I'm getting to the point where I have to do something. I've got a 2011 with the original tires.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun33 View Post
Maxxis makes a superior 14 inch trailer tire.
Excellent! I'll check them out.
Thanks
Old 06-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
I imagine I could fit 15" tires/wheels on it, but I'd have to buy the wheels somewhere else. The bolt pattern is different on the 14s. I'm getting to the point where I have to do something. I've got a 2011 with the original tires.

Glad you noticed that the different bolt pattern means that you cannot use 15" wheels off of other Airstreams. Many of us with 23' trailers have upgraded the wheels to Sendel T02 or T03's to be able to use the Michelin's.

At about $100 each they are not cheap, but you can get by with a 14" spare and four wheels don't cost that much compared to the value of the trailer and the peace of mind. Plus, to my eye they look better.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
I did not know that.