Old 05-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #29
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
While I think the Maxxis tires I'm running now are an improvement over the Marathons, I still haven't found a permanent solution to blowouts in 110+ degree weather.
Only travel when the temp is 95? Blowouts happen. Slow down and carry a spare or two.

I agree with Terry, the topic heading is misleading - there's no new info here that hasn't been covered extensively in other threads regarding Marathons vs. everything else.

Bill & Kim
34í Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #30
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Would we be offside to request that a mod change it?

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
ST Tires

The Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) only requires the ST class of tire be required to withstand 65 MPH.
The loss of integrity of the rubber that holds the tie together is what causes blowouts.
Actually the tires donít "blow out", they start losing air. This causes the side walls to flex more and create more heat.
This heat causes the rubber to melt (lose integrity) and the belts start to slip.
The air leaks out faster because the slipping belts cause a faster leak.
The rubber lets go faster and the tire eventually comes apart.
At 65 miles an hour this takes only a minute or so.
In phone conversations with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administrationís engineer responsible for the FAR, he stated that the overall rating of a tires ability to withstand heat is the SPEED RATING. The higher the speed rating the more heat the tire can withstand and survive.
The better the rubber compound (the more expensive) the more heat it can withstand.
Its not the number of extra caps or belts in the tire itís the rubber that holds it together that is causing the problem.
In todayís cost cutting world if you think that a tire company is going to put the same rubber compound in a tire that is required to withstand 65 MPH that it puts in a tire that has to withstand 99 MPH of 140 MPH you are living in a fantasy word.
The safe speed for a ST tire is 55 MPH. If you inflate a ST tire to the point that the sidewall is not flexing (Load Range E of F) all you are doing is destroying your trailer.
Go to a tire that has a Speed Rating of 99 MPH or better. The only one on the market that Iím aware of is the Cooper Custom Trailer Plus (99MPH) but their marketing structure is such that this tire is hard to get and will be on the road.
I went to the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A LT225/75R16 Load Range D and run 60 PSI. 60 PSI is recommended by Airstream. If I have to go to E rated Commercial T/A I would still run 60 PSI as that is the pressure that is required for the weight of the trailer.
Running ST tires and traveling more than 55 MPH is a crap shoot. Like to gamble
Go faster on those 100+ degree days. Why not just walk away from the table, go to LT tires with a speed rating of at least 99 MPH.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #32

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
The Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) only requires the ST class of tire be required to withstand 65 MPH.
The safe speed for a ST tire is 55 MPH.

That was an interesting read, thanks. I am, however, confused by the statement that the safe speed for an ST tire is 55 MPH when you previously stated that they are rated for 65 MPH. Is the 10 MPH difference an engineering tolerance of some kind, or is it your personal take on safety factors? Thanks again for the informative post.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #33
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've seen Dunlop Rover tires on the Base Camp - I think Airstream is putting these on - I also did a search on Base Camp - those are not ST tires on them - - -

Ken J.
1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #34
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
10 MPH difference

65 MPH represents 100% of the ST tires speed rating.
55 MPH represents 84.6% of the ST tire Speed rating.
I personally like a safety margin.
Not even fighter aircraft (NAVY, MARINE, AIRFORCE, ARMY) operate for HOURS ON END at 100% of their specificated ratings.
Personally, I could not keep air in my ST tires. I had to add air every time I moved the trailer.
Now with new 16 inch LT tires (Speed Rating 99 MPH) 65 MPH represents 65.6% of their Speed Rating, I like the safety margin. Also in two years (I think) I have only added Nitrogen twice and never had to add more than 5 lbs to the "as found" pressure to bring them back to 60 PSI.

Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote