Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
New Federal tire rules

Wonder if there are provisions in this ruling for free batteries for the TPMS!

By SEMA Washington, D.C., Staff

The highway transportation bill signed into law by the president includes several provisions covering tires. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is directed to issue a rule requiring independent tire sellers to register tires at the point of sale. The provision is intended to increase tire registration rates that should then assist tire manufacturers in notifying consumers in the event of a tire recall. Independent tire dealers will be required to maintain records, including the name, address and information identifying the tire purchased, and electronically transmit this information to the tire manufacturer.

The NHTSA will consider the feasibility of developing universal bar-code scanner technologies that capture the Tire Identification Number (TIN), which could then be placed in an electronic database that unites the tire numbers with the vehicle identification number (VIN). The NHTSA is required to create a website allowing the public to search for tire recalls based on the TIN. The NHTSA is also required to issue regulations establishing minimum tire performance standards for tire fuel efficiency and wet traction.

The NHTSA is required to update the tire-pressure monitoring system (TPMS) rule, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 138, to ensure that a system installed on a new motor vehicle cannot be overridden, reset or recalibrated in a way that would no longer detect when the inflation pressure in one or more of the vehicle’s tires has fallen below a safe pressure level. The rule cannot have the effect of prohibiting indirect TPMS or the ability to reset or recalibrate when replacing tires/wheels of a different size than the original-equipment tires/wheels.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Oh boy, more govt regs.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
When you look at those regs, you have to know that the price of tires will be going up just to cover the admin costs without adding to the performance factor.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
nip it in the bud

Call your congressman and tell them NO! We are already OVER REGULATED by the Government. We do not need this any more than half the other BS they require or mandate. I don't like my TPMS either, God, I have a gauge, own a car, maintane a car! Don't expect "mother" to remind/ do it for you. Gosh, Ive reread it, it already passed??? Who's paying for all this report/advise stuff???? More small business suffering unneeded added costs.. God I hate where this country is going!!!!!!!!!!!
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
And

I don't want a call or text- "time to rotate your tires"
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
On the positive side, if your tires are registered, you stand a chance at getting notified if there's a tire recall.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
CostCo hands me a registration paper with the proper numbers on it for me to register the new tires via mail or on-line.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
These new regulations have some benefit and likely a lot of expense. I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish the goal of manufacturers being able to reach users of their products but if this is a new regulation, it would only be prudent to take a few more off the books otherwise, business will literally be unable to be compliant since it will take longer to read/interpret the regulations than it will to manufacture products!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #9
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Good Grief, said Charlie Brown.

I wonder if I can get get my notifications in Urdu? Maybe I should write to my "congressperson" and demand my rights?? What's next? A national oil filter registry?

More bureaucrats.

Good grief.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
On the positive side, if your tires are registered, you stand a chance at getting notified if there's a tire recall.
The feds care very little if your tires are recalled for whatever reason.
But you "the buyer" could very well be notified when somewhere down the line, your then worn out or blown out tires are identified as an illegally disposed of tire by some city , county or state agency .
Even if the tires are properly disposed of by you by allowing the dealer that you bought new tires from to take care of it , you will still be held responsible if the old tires wind up dumped in a field or along some back road .
This is the fate of millions of old tires every year and the government will be all to happy to get very deep into your pocket for the deeds of others.
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Next toilet paper, they want to know how much you use
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Anything that improves the cycle time to notify customers of a flawed product is worth developing. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:25 AM   #13
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Some background info:

The current registration system is VOLUNTARY. Tire dealers are NOT required to register the tires, nor are they required to tell someone who purchased what tires. The consumer is ALSO not required to register the tires.

The only persons required to do anything is the tire manufacturer who is required to keep a database of what information they receive. That has resulted in the tire manufacturer only recording a small fraction of the owners of tires. I can't remember the value but it is on the order of 10%.

In other words, if there is a recall, only 10% of the tire owners are known. The rest have to find out about the recall some other way (the news or websites like this one).

The exception is if the tire is supplied to a vehicle manufacturer. Then more owners are known (because of the vehicle manufacturer's warranty system.)
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
You know, with all the bitchin, moanin, and complaining about Goodyear Marathon tires (along with other brands), all the discussion of going from 14, to 15, to 16 inch tires, TPMS's of all kinds, and NOT being able to get support from either the tire dealer or manufacturer when a problem arrises, in the forums, I'd have thought that everyone would be jumping for joy that the tire sellers and manufactures could be held accountable with proof of purchase, recall notifications, and length of tire tires where on the shelf before being installed. WOW, I still think that there's room to find more reasons to find fault with a law that is a great start to protecting the consumer... Oh wait, just thought of another reason to scuttle this law, they are violating my privacy. Please feel free to add to the list of why not to embrace this law.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
You know, with all the bitchin, moanin, and complaining about Goodyear Marathon tires (along with other brands), all the discussion of going from 14, to 15, to 16 inch tires, TPMS's of all kinds, and NOT being able to get support from either the tire dealer or manufacturer when a problem arrises, in the forums, I'd have thought that everyone would be jumping for joy that the tire sellers and manufactures could be held accountable with proof of purchase, recall notifications, and length of tire tires where on the shelf before being installed. WOW, I still think that there's room to find more reasons to find fault with a law that is a great start to protecting the consumer... Oh wait, just thought of another reason to scuttle this law, they are violating my privacy. Please feel free to add to the list of why not to embrace this law.
There's no need to embrace this law if one takes personal responsibility and follows through and sends in the post card with the tire numbers on it. If one ignores the opportunity to register the tires, why should the rest of us bear the extra cost that this law will create?
Old 12-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
There's no need to embrace this law if one takes personal responsibility and follows through and sends in the post card with the tire numbers on it. If one ignores the opportunity to register the tires, why should the rest of us bear the extra cost that this law will create?

Because almost no one will register their tires themselves and because that is a public road that you are driving down with defective tires. You are putting my life and my kid's life at risk.
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
All about it.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...l7-part574.xml
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
I love all the "I can take care of myself the government should stay out of our business" talk here. What about the morons who *don't* take care of things and *aren't* responsible (probably the majority of cars on the road)? These laws are to protect us from idiots, not to make your life more difficult. Please think about the real reason these laws (or, as is the case here, *requests*) are actually created.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #19
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Tire registration probably wont be too much of a hassle with how things are done electronically now a days. Maybe if tire manufacturers' would step up their game and make a trailer tire that had the same quality as most passenger and truck tires that are available out there. Back it with a mileage warranty and Stand behind the product. Then everybody could buy a designated trailer tire with confidence and not lose sleep over the whole tire quagmire. Come on American Tire Companies step it up and get it done!
Old 12-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
Tire registration probably wont be too much of a hassle with how things are done electronically now a days. Maybe if tire manufacturers' would step up their game and make a trailer tire that had the same quality as most passenger and truck tires that are available out there. Back it with a mileage warranty and Stand behind the product. Then everybody could buy a designated trailer tire with confidence and not lose sleep over the whole tire quagmire. Come on American Tire Companies step it up and get it done!
You don't need a trailer tire, only one with the carrying capacity for the load,most of the bad marathons were bruised from hitting curbs,were run low on air or run flat,or is 9 years old, or going down the highway 75 mph . How could one expect a warranty for one of these abused tires? I have 20,000 miles on my marathons and they are at 50 per cent...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote