Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
New EB wheels balanced??

For folks that get new AS's - does the factory properly balance the wheels?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't think so....mine wasn't. I'd recommend balancing and Centramatics.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I think they are delivered to the Jackson Center plant balanced from a tire and wheel shop who sells them to Airstream and just mounted at the plant on the trailer. I've never seen a balancer in the plant during any tours.
My wheels and tires were balanced OK, but the tires were defective and needed to be replaced within the first year.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Michellins were defective?

Old 08-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
How much do these centramatics cost on average including install?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
You'll know when you look at them if they have been balanced or not. Just look for some weights.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The part number "200-221 special" for 15" and larger wheel Airstream specific 6 bolt pattern Centramatic wheel balancers are $199 for the set of four plus about $15 or so in freight charges coming from Texas via UPS. Note that the word "special" denotes the units for the 6 bolt wheels used on newer Airstreams. The part number "200-221" is used on older 5 bolt Airstream wheels.

BTW. The Dodge 2500HD uses part number 300-318 Centramatics at the same price of $199 and both sets of four were shipped to me in one box for $22.45 in UPS charges.

One jacks up one side of the trailer and removes the lug nuts on one tire, removes that wheel and puts the Centramatic disk, ring side in, onto the hub lug bolts and puts the wheel back on the lug bolts along with the lug nuts and torques them to the proper value. Repeat this process for the three other tires. I use a socket ratchet to gently seat the lug nuts and then switch to my torque wrench and bring the torque up in several rounds in 10 pound increments.

Then recheck the torque on the lug nuts at 10 miles, 25 miles, 50 miles and 100 miles and you should be good to go.

I will personally install mine on the new trailer along with the new tires and new lug nuts. Too many grease monkeys use impact wrenches which can warp the brake drums as they are in a hurry and it is not their trailer...

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Michellins were defective?

No, I should have been more clear. They were 15" GYM's. That's the original brand that came on my new Classic in 2010. They were replaced under the original tire warranty by Discount tire with Carlisle's since I didn't want GYM's anymore. The Carlisle's are doing a fine job but,,
Since then, I have bought a new set of 16" wheels and new set of lifetime lug nuts, and when the Carlisle's need replacing I'll just buy 16" Michelin's.
I am doing this in baby steps to spread out the cost of the changeover.
I guess with your new unit it comes with the 16's already. You lucky dog!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
It is an additional cost option - 15 Gyms standard otherwise....but I but the bullet

Old 08-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
It sounds like the way to go. I know if it were an option on mine, I would have done it. I'm glad to see it as an option today. It will save poople money in the long run. You'll be happy you chose it.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yep, and they look purty too

Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
New 16 inch wheels and tires

I just received 4 new Michelins with the 16 inch wheels. The fifth one has not arrived yet. As I was unwrapping them, I noticed three of them had small flat weights on the inside of the wheel and one had none. None of them had weights on the outside of the wheel. I was wondering if others had noticed this on their new 16 inch wheels.
Appreciate any replys.
Thanks,
Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I bought my 16" Sendel T02 wheels and Michelins from Discount Tire. They had the flat weights on the back side of the wheel (is that what you mean?). I assumed Discount Tire put them on when balancing the wheels.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My original 15" Airstream supplied wheels and Marathons were balanced by the hammered on weights on the inside rim. When I replaced the Marathons the folks who mounted them used the stick on weights on the inside of the wheel. My current Sendel's and 16" Michelins were also balanced with the stick on weights on the inside of the wheel.

I'm not sure today if the folks balancing the wheels for Airstream are using sticky weights or the old weight hammered on to the rim method.

I know when I called Airstream for a quote on 16" EB wheels and Michelin tires to be shipped to me, they noted that they would be balanced.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
I just received 4 new Michelins with the 16 inch wheels. The fifth one has not arrived yet. As I was unwrapping them, I noticed three of them had small flat weights on the inside of the wheel and one had none. None of them had weights on the outside of the wheel. I was wondering if others had noticed this on their new 16 inch wheels.
Appreciate any replys.
Thanks,
Rick
That always spooks me to see a tire and wheel with no weights. Hard to believe that the wheel and tire are perfectly in balance without weight. If I got one like that I'd probably bring it somewhere to be checked. I hate to assume, especially when you weren't there to see them balance the wheels. If you find it's out of balance, send the balance bill back to who ever you purchased them from.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On my 2014 FC the wheels (15", GYM tires) came balanced from the factory. I changed them to the 16" with Michelin's and had them balanced where I got the tires (Costco).

I am pretty sure AS balances all wheels and tire assembly systems.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
That always spooks me to see a tire and wheel with no weights. Hard to believe that the wheel and tire are perfectly in balance without weight. If I got one like that I'd probably bring it somewhere to be checked. I hate to assume, especially when you weren't there to see them balance the wheels. If you find it's out of balance, send the balance bill back to who ever you purchased them from.

Jack
That's funny you say that, because I was watching the fella at the tire store balance my LT tires when they were installed on the Sendel wheels. One of them he was working on required no weight ( the other three did ). When he saw that one was not going to need weight, he called me over there and showed me it was perfect as it was, and he said, "I didn't want you to think I missed balancing one of the four".
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The GYMs and wheels that were on my trailer when I bought it were as supplied by the factory. The PO had never put new tires on. There was no sign of them ever being balanced. One of the first things I did was put new tires on - GYMs from Tire Rack - and I had them installed and balanced by an independent shop I've dealt with for years (they are also a recommended Tire Rack installer). They balanced with hidden stick on weights. If properly balanced by a good shop for around $15-18 each wheel, there's no need to spend $50 each wheel for Centramatics.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
The GYMs and wheels that were on my trailer when I bought it were as supplied by the factory. The PO had never put new tires on. There was no sign of them ever being balanced. One of the first things I did was put new tires on - GYMs from Tire Rack - and I had them installed and balanced by an independent shop I've dealt with for years (they are also a recommended Tire Rack installer). They balanced with hidden stick on weights. If properly balanced by a good shop for around $15-18 each wheel, there's no need to spend $50 each wheel for Centramatics.

You assume that your hub and brake assembly are balanced. And that your stick on weights, never come off. And that mud, dirt, rocks, etc don't get stuck on things, throwing them out of balance. If a $50 centramatic helps keep a tire from failing and causing hundreds of dollars of damage, it is cheap insurance.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Hi, this would be true if trailer brake drums were balanced, but they are not. Therefore I have Centramatics.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote