Old 08-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Interesting information You CAN learn everything right here on this forum...Tom R...going out to look for colored "dots" on my tires...

TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #16
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Perhaps but the 2010 I received in June has Chinese Marathons and, yes, the indentations. 2500 miles so far.

The sale date of a unit only has a loose correlation to the actual build date. The tires will have a DOT code (4 digits) that will show what week and year they were made. You could have 2008 manufactured tires on your 2010 trailer.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
Site Team
, Minnesota
Here are the results I got when mounting my chinese marathons.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
Chinese Marathons

I had about 13,000 miles on my Chinese Marathons (manufactured in 2007) and just replaced them with Maxxis M8008's. I had no problems with the Marathons, ran them at 65PSI and monitored them closely. I am getting ready for another 2500 mile trip and I did not want to worry about the whole Marathon "thing" again.

I may have over reacted by changing them out early but if $400.00 in new tires saves me a blow out/wheel well damage I figure it is well worth the money. I realize there are no guarantees, blow outs can occur with any tire for any number of reasons but it gives me a little more piece of mind to have the "dreaded" Marathons off my Airstream.
Steve and Bonnie
The "Mississippi Queen"
szimmerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When we picked up our Safari in Oct., 2008, I saw those indentations in the Marathons and asked about them. We went looking at other tires on the lot and there were some Michelins on bus style MoHo's and they had the indentations too. I figured if they are on Michelins, they must be ok. No one at the dealership knew anything about tires, a reassuring experience.

I never looked to see where the Marathons were made since some ignorance is perhaps a good idea. I did look at the date and it was mid 2008. I think we're over 15,000 miles and no problems, tread looks good, and next year if we go to Alaska, I will change to better tires.

If you don't see weights on your wheels, look at the back—that's where they may be.

Interesting about dots and wheel notches—I never had to think about all this stuff before I got a trailer. I can't wait to be at a campground and impress someone with all this information.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
Re Indentations on Tires -- The indentations that go "in" are where the belts in the tires join together -- OK, think of that as "In" is Good" == However if you have a bulg outward that is not good --Get rid of the tire immediately-- Thus "In" is Good and "Out' is Bad....Incidently I now have 3 new Goodyear "Made in the USA" tires after a blowout and finding two more with broken belts (less than 10,000 miles I would guess on my 08....I'll have a 4th one as soon as I can get one and use the remaining chinese marathon as a 2nd spare...Yep - we'll look like the Beverly Hillbillies with the spare on top of the suburban, but I won't be hunting for tires on Friday afternoon at 4:45 PM in a town I've never seen before..Hope this is of some assistance. - Countrysong.

COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote