Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Dearborn heights , Michigan
Need tires for a 1987 barn find 31 foot

I have found a 1987 Airstream 31 foot travel trailer with the rear bath configuration in a barn. It has been sitting there for so long the tires have dry rotted right off of it. The tire size is 235/75/R15 ! I can not find a load range on the tires.

First off: What is this the correct size tires to use for this trailer?

Second: what is the maximum ply, and minimum ply to use?

Third: Are there any other rubber items within the axle suspension I need to inspect/change before I tow this 94 miles home?
professorbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
You might want to flush the bearings in solvent and repack them. The local RV dealership should know what kind of tires you need. I definitely wouldn't take it anyplace without inspecting the bearings first. By the way welcome to the Airstream community. You could always put the frame up on blocks and take the rims into the nearest RV dealer.
JFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I love the whole barn find concept.. must post pictures!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorbol View Post
I have found a 1987 Airstream 31 foot travel trailer with the rear bath configuration in a barn. It has been sitting there for so long the tires have dry rotted right off of it. The tire size is 235/75/R15 ! I can not find a load range on the tires.

Third: Are there any other rubber items within the axle suspension I need to inspect/change before I tow this 94 miles home?
The original tire size was ST 225 75 R 15 and was probably a load range "D".

It would be wise to repack the bearings and change grease seals.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Vinnie, I once found a 1956 chevey wagon in a barn. It had chickens living in it. I hosed out the bird dookey, replaced the plugs, changed the oil, hooked up a new battery and she started right up! I paid the man and drove that car for two years.
JFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorbol View Post
Most people use 225/75R15 tires with an ST rating. Not everyone likes Marathons but that's what new Airstreams are shipping with:

Goodyear Marathon Radial

There are other good brands.

Quote:
You probably want Load Range D, but you can figure it out yourself by calculating the weight on each wheel and looking at the capacity charts. They vary by size and sometimes a little by brand, but if you figure an 8000 pound loaded trailer, less 10% tongue weight = 7200 pounds on the axles, divided by four is 1800 pounds. For 225-75R15 tires, load range C is usually good up to 2100 pounds or so. Load range D is good up to 2500 pounds or so and will have stiffer sidewalls which will help slightly with sway.

Because the torsion axles don't do as good of a job as leaf springs in distributing the load evenly between the tandem axles when going over uneven ground it doesn't hurt to have some extra capacity in the tires.

Quote:
I answered on your other thread.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote