Old 07-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #1

1973 31' Sovereign
Del Rio , Texas
Smile need new tires

any suggestions on brand type of new tire to put on our 1973 31ft sovereign thanks b2b

Old 07-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
You can read a lot of bad stories about ST225/75R15 D tires. I think my next set will be load range E ones inflated to 60psi.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
You can read a lot of bad stories about ST225/75R15 D tires. I think my next set will be load range E ones inflated to 60psi.
Four 225/75R15 D rated tires are rated for over 10,000 pounds weight when inflated to their rated 65 psi. E rated tires at 60 psi will most likely ride much harsher.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
We just put a set of USA Goodyear tires on our Bambi last April. doing well so far. longest trip was to Mammoth and June Lake loop, otherwies weekend beach runs and 3 trips to Desert Hot Springs.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Two Tire Blowouts in less than a Month

We have had two major tire blowouts in less than a month. The blowout this past Thursday did some body damage behind the wheel well. We do not know if all four tires are defective or if the 99 degree temperature was a factor.We are replacing all of the tires, even though they are basically new. AAA RV Emergency Roadside Assistance came to our aid, in both instances, because we were on major high speed four laneClick image for larger version

Name:	tire blow out on 6-27-2010.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	107505 interstates.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Four 225/75R15 D rated tires are rated for over 10,000 pounds weight when inflated to their rated 65 psi. E rated tires at 60 psi will most likely ride much harsher.
How else is a person going to get a stronger tire?
From what i experienced, in a bias ply yes, in a radial no because of their weenie sidewalls. I had 6PR Michelins on my tahoe and tried 10PR Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade tires, (because they had a 30day trial) and was shocked that the 10PR tires didnt make my tahoe ride like a lumber wagon. The improved cornering made up for the slight difference the ride. I run with 50psi in them now and may try 45psi when not towing and see what happends. I also run nitrogen.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Just lost the cap off a Marathon,tore up the fender well molding,and a 3" rip in skin.Tire was a D rated,65# pressure w/nitrogen,and 2.6 years old.I`m going to change them out to Maxis E rated.
Damn shame they can`t make a decent tire. Dave
Old 07-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
From what i experienced, in a bias ply yes, in a radial no because of their weenie sidewalls.
I can see the 10 plys on your TV, but putting them on the TT will make for a harder ride, so if you do it, watch for popped rivets after your trip. Can't be doing the body much good.

Airstream to this day still recommend ST225/75R15 load range D for all the trailers they make...
Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
GYM - forget them!

I had a near distaster with GYM's and will not buy any more. I switched to load range E at 65 lbs. No problems. I should add that I also replaced the 45 year old axle and the ride is like a could (much credit to the new axle). Airstream Life is doing research as we speak on using load range E tires instead of D. They said to look for the article in the Oct. or Nov. issue....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I can see the 10 plys on your TV, but putting them on the TT will make for a harder ride, so if you do it, watch for popped rivets after your trip. Can't be doing the body much good.

Airstream to this day still recommend ST225/75R15 load range D for all the trailers they make...
Radials have a stiff tread and thin sidewalls about like an innertube. Thats why when people put on radials after having bias ply tires they say their trailer rides so nice. It may be a C bias ply tire rides like a E radial tire, wouldnt surprise me. I would bet that a D bias ply that came on on my 30ft rides harder than a new E radial.
Aage, if i put in 80psi in E tires of course it will ride harder, but if i put in 60psi as i do now with D tires it should ride about the same im sure.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
From what i experienced, in a bias ply yes, in a radial no because of their weenie sidewalls. I had 6PR Michelins on my tahoe and tried 10PR Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade tires, (because they had a 30day trial) and was shocked that the 10PR tires didnt make my tahoe ride like a lumber wagon. The improved cornering made up for the slight difference the ride. I run with 50psi in them now and may try 45psi when not towing and see what happends. I also run nitrogen.
Personally, I don't believe the bulk of the tire failures we are seeing with the ST tires is because of carcass failure, or another way to put it would be the lack of strength in the "D" rated tires. I believe most of the failures, especially the Marathon filures, originate from tread seperation, and then without the tread and tread belt, the body fails.

The Maxxis, Towmaster, and other tires that seem to be staying together have an additional fiberglass belt which helps prevent tread seperation, and therefore tire failure. The Marathon lacks this additional fiberglass belt.

Just got back from a 14.75K mile trip on Maxxis "D" rated tires with no failures. They did, however, wear out, but that is another problem and no fault, I believe, of the tires.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Carlisle Radial ST Utility Tire Reviews. Buying Guides & Consumer Product Reviews - Epinions.com
Looks like Carlisle tires blow like marathons.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Interesting, and it may also interest you that the Carlisle's do not have the extra fiberglass belt under the tread that helps reduce tread seperation.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
_

. , .
sorry steve but this is nonsense.

tread separation is not the same thing as BELT separation.

one may lead to the other but either can happen independently.

and the notion of fiberglass REALLY dates this tire discussion...

like it's the 60s all over again dude...

http://www.basiccarrepair.com/tire_cord_materials.html

polyester, nylon, steel, kevlar/aramid (other POLY fibers) are hip now.

the maxxis does have a NYLON cap.

the use of a NYLON cap is common on ultra high speed/low profile passenger car tires...

with speed ratings above r (106) a few tires have this cap and above H (~130mph) almost all do...

the theory being at ULTRA high rotational speeds belts may shift/squirm or separate from the centrifugal forces...

and the cap reduces that belt shifting in WIDE/low profile tires traveling at 100-150 mph or faster...

IF this helps on high profile balloon shaped tires used at NORMAL driving speeds is NOT clear.

trailer tires are rotating at MUCH slower speeds

and are NOT cornering or providing traction in the manner a car/truck tire does...
_________

the GYM doesn't have a FULL NYLON CAP (meaning bead2bead) but it DOES have a NYLON BELT...

the belt is REINFORCED at the perimeter

and IS intended to provide the same function as a full NYLON cap,

without losing the 'supple' side wall feature.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote