Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Interesting, and it may also interest you that the Carlisle's do not have the extra fiberglass belt under the tread that helps reduce tread seperation.
I have 1yr old HI RUN 225 75 15 LRD tires on my 30ft and wondering if i should keep or get rid of them. Im worried about tearing up my wheel wells if one blows.

r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Not going to argue, but it does seem the tires that have the extra belt do not have the seperation problems that the Marathons have.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
. , .
unless you have access to a % of problematic tires from ANY vendor...

((and none of us have that info))

the NUMBER of reported problems with any of these tires can be simply a result of TOTAL PRODUCTION...

gyms=10-100s of millions made.

maxxis=a few 100 thousand

greenball/carlisle and other common brands LUMPED2gether, are somewhere in between...

but still just a fraction compared to gyms.

it's baffling that this issue gets REPEATED every few month here with the same old nonsense echoed...

lets blame it on the internet...

the chinese imported walmart sold internet invented by a guy name al...

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
I have been running Carlisle "E"s on my 31 for 4 seasons (4K-5K miles/season). I have had zero issues with them! I inflate them (or deflate them) to exactly 80 psi cold every time I leave home.

2 other AS buddies have the same tire, one is a wide body 30 limited and the other is a 70's 31 like mine, both travel about the same as I do with zero problems.

The majority (not all) of the tire problems that I have heard about and witnessed have been due to either old (cracked) or UNDER INFLATED tires.

I have never owned GYM's so I can't speak about them.

A quick note: when truckers have tires heating up, they always add more psi to them which will cause them to run cooler.

I am totally baffled as to why anybody would under inflate thier tires!

To 2air's point this issue keeps coming up and people keep spreading the myth about a harsher ride. I have even heard from some here that AS utilized the softer tire rating in thier suspension engineering. That is BUNK! I have never seen any data from AS about this and I doubt that it exists. For many many years AS installed bias ply tires without a word of a harsh ride from owners. If your trailer is properly set up and the axles and shocks are in full working order, there is no harsh ride, and moving up one letter in side wall rating will have no ill effects IF everything else is right.

Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (charter member)

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote