Old 07-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Need new TIRES

I need to replace the tires on our 66 Safari, I am not sure what TIRE I should by, Brand , weight rating, etc..?

Also should I get new rims while I am at it? I am not sure if these are the OEM rims........ THANKS

Old 07-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
What size tires do you have on the trailer now? There have been hundreds of posts on the subject of tire types and brands. Everyone has some they love and some they hate. I have stayed with bias tires on my trailer and currently have Towmasters 7x15 D rated tires. I only have few hundred miles on them at this time.

Wheels can last a very long time. If they are badly rusted, bent or "split rims" I would definitely get new ones. Your tire shop should be able to evaluate the condition of your wheels.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown AirStreamers View Post
I need to replace the tires on our 66 Safari, I am not sure what TIRE I should by, Brand , weight rating, etc..?

Also should I get new rims while I am at it? I am not sure if these are the OEM rims........ THANKS
Airstream has used Goodyear Marathon tires for many years. Yes, the Marathons had problems, but that was years ago.

Goodyear Marathon ST 225/75 R 15 is the correct size.

You also want load range "D" tires.

Make sure the wheel are OK, and that they have a rating of at least 2600 pounds.

And finally, have the tires, wheels, hub and drums, balanced as an assembly.

While your at it, should should also check your axle out, because if it's bad, you will punish the trailer when you tow.

The following article will help you check out the axle in less than a minute.

Dura Torque Axle

Andy
Old 07-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Cool

I dont know about thoses Marathons!!- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...res-28293.html
Old 07-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I dont know about thoses Marathons!!- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...res-28293.html
This thread could go on, forever.

I wonder why so many people buy Airstreams? They are assembled with rivets. Rivets fail, we all know that. Must be Airstreams fault that rivets sometimes fail. So why in the world, do so many people buy Airstreams. There are many reasons, but they also know that when rivets fail, ONLY about 99 percent of the time, it's the owners fault, not Airstream.

I wonder how long a thread we would have if we posted about "ALL' the failures that Ford, Chrysler, and GM have had, and the hundreds of thousands of recalls they still have.

I am not defending Goodyear, but I, based on first hand experience, in my service department for many years, see improper inflation of tires, gosh, only about 98 percent of the time.

How do I know??

We do tons of running gear balancing. But before we start, we remove any rocks, sometimes nails that have not punctured the tire yet, and correct the tire pressure.We find them any where from grossly under inflated to grossly over inflated. We correct the pressure to match the trailers loading, within reason, and within guide lines.

The average incorrect tire pressure, only runs about 98 percent. Wow, and yet we sit back and blame the tire manufacturers.

Human nature, always has and always will, never place the blame for tire failures on themselves. Nah, that would be way to easy. Blame someone else, that's much easier, and makes for good conversation.

When we install new axles, we always take the owners running gear, and balance that for them at no charge. AMAZING, the huge percentage, that are absolutely wrong.

Most owners, make sure the tires are inflated correctly, at least to their thinking, when new tires are installed. They will do that every time, they install new tires, and totally assume that's OK, until the next time they install another set of new tires.

PM, to all to many owners, means post-mortem, and rarely ever consider PM as meaning preventive maintenance.

We see every day, what seems to be, almost a total disregard for those two words.

The 1962 24 foot Airstream that we received yesterday, that was brought in on a flat bed, was one of the best examples of almost total disregard for PM, that I have seen in quite a while, as well as other examples of ignoring important issues.

So the lug nuts came loose, so what. That caused one wheel to fall off. So??????

A quick examination showed that the axle, which was not the original, was grossly under rated, had no resiliency left in the rubber rods, had 10 inch brakes, with only the tires balanced. In addition, it had a huge cargo container added to the bumper, that took it's toll on the shell as well.

The drivers that loaded the trailer on to the flat bed, carefully chained the trailer to the bed of the truck, so that it could not move.

Unfortunately, the chains that were attached to the rear frame as it enters the rear of the shell, pulled the frame away from the shell, only about 4 (four) inches.

That clearly showed considerable rotten wood, as well as the frame still being about 2 inches below where it should have been, after the chains were remove.

PM, once again, what does it mean?

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.

Lest we forget, ignore proper PM, and it will bite you where it will cause pain, when you sit down.

Unfortunately, when a low mileage new tire blows, the tread will not show that the tire pressure perhaps was incorrect.

So folks, lets back up a little, and examine "ALL" the possible causes of the tire failure and quit automatically blaming tire manufacturers.

I am not angry, but lets put the blame on ourselves, at least some of the time, where it really belongs.

We see, almost everyday in our shop, all to many examples of lack of even reasonable tire PM.

Andy
Old 07-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Got any reccomendations for this type of service here in the Chicago Land area?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I agree that preventative maintenance is our responsibility.

Check your batteries. How often is the battery water checked?

How often is tire pressure checked?

How often is the sealant checked to prevent rain leaks.

Buy a rivet gun and replace missing rivits.

And on and on.

It is easy to blame the manufacturers but we have to be responsible owners.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
having spent too much time with tires and tire machines in a prior life, i can't help but see a trend in tire destruction. i've seem many tires get abused and destroyed without disassembling the tire components. (other than firestone 500's and 721's)

i just don't feel that the marathons offer a needed margin of safety. i'd like a tire to be able die without becoming a weapon.

as for me, when the time comes, i'll replace the radials with non-radial tires.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Got any reccomendations for this type of service here in the Chicago Land area?
Sorry, I don't.

Andy
Old 07-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Should those tires be load range E or D ?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Should those tires be load range E or D ?

Never more than a "D".

Don't kill the soft ride, that Airstreams must have, or else.

Andy
Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
For what it's worth I've got the Goodyear Marathon ST 225/75 R 15, load range D tires on the GT.
They've been on for 4 years and haven't had any trouble at all. Mounted on the factory alloy wheels they hold air all winter long, grip well and run cool. No sidewall bubbles, checking, tread seperation or unusual wear. I match-mounted the tires to the rims and the "worst" one uses 2.75 ounces of weights for balance.
Overall I've been very pleased with these radials on a single axle trailer and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Just my 2 cents,
Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Any opinions on Carlisle Radial Trail tires....
Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Believe it or not - I still have not gotten my new tires & must order them today. I am not sure the weight of my Safari, loaded (water, goods, etc..) but would'nt it be better to have a e rated tire - because of the weight of the trailer? I also have E rated tires on my tow vehicle....