Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2002, 12:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

need advice re. 1969 tires, brakes, etc.

Just brought home my first airstream (yesterday).
her serial number is o25t9j166, so from what information i have been able to dig up, I think this means that she is a '25 1969 made in ohio. not used much, but allowed to sit and decay for a long long time.

Figure the best place for me to start is with the running gear. I am in for four new tires and would love some advice on which are my best bet. also, any hints on what i might find when i pull the wheels off, and suggestions on how to make the best of what i find there. i am sort of planning on replacing the shocks and doing some work to the brakes, but have no idea what to expect.

I would appreciate any and all responces--I am a Newbie eager to learn as much as i can about my trailer

I have been reading the many threads about tires and running gear--most are directed to folks with older rigs than mine. does anyone know how much of it applies to my '69? (specifically tire size, shock specs, brake system) I am under the impression that the body style changed for the 69 model year, and i am wondering if the running gear changed as well.
Dave Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 10:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Dave. Before you go too far with your wheels, you should check out the axles.
You can find out how to check them out by going to our web site, inlandrv.com
Click on articles and then click on the "Dura-torque axle."

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 11:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
This is what I did:

I see you reposted here so I copied reply here too.

Dave,
After jacking the trailer up behind the rear wheel on the frame and removing the wheels, I would start with the drum and bearings. Remove the hubcap to expose the nut and cotter pin. Pull the pin and unscrew the nut. Pull the drum off and take it into the garage for cleanup, new seals and grease, maybe even bearings. With the backing plate now exposed, inspect the brakes, and magnet. I doubt your shoes will need replaced but it is possible. Buy a few cans of break cleaner and clean the backing plate, spindle, brakes, etc.
Remove the shocks. Long 3/4-inch wrench for leverage. You will have to bend the upper mounting bracket to get them off but it will bend back without damage. New shocks are about 20-30 each. Gabriel 610816. Not fun. Take break and watch ball game.
With the drum now on your workbench and plenty of rags on hand, remove the bearings and grease seal. Order a new seals from Inland or local parts store. I used National #442109 but other brands make them too. Take one with you!
Clean all of the old grease out of the cavity. Inspect the bearings and repack the grease. Parts stores have cheap bearing packers ($10) that work pretty good but you can do it by hand. Messy. I don't pack the cavity full of grease as this might hold in heat but make sure the bearings and race are coated with lots of grease. Install inner bearing. Put a light coat of grease around the new seal and then install it. I used a block of hard wood to help it seat evenly. Tap LIGHTLY with a hammer until it is flush. If it goes in crooked or bends, buy a new one and start over, as you don't want grease passing the seal and getting on your brake shoes. Reinstall drum, outer bearing, nut and new cotter pin. Don't over tighten the nut. It should have a tiny bit of axial play. Fill the hubcap with grease and tap it back on.
Then I scrapped off the crud and rust under the wheel well and used rubberized undercoating from parts store. A coat of paint on the drums won't hurt.
New radials and a spin balance is all that is left. Others please fill in the gaps I left.
Randy

Click on "New Shocks" from this link to see the picture.

http://community.webshots.com/scrip...lbumID=50104927
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 06:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Unhappy in for new axles too

talked to andy on the phone today for the first time. andy rules.

looks like (at least according to the Andy article of axle evaluation) that my '69 tradewind tandem axles are shot. the rubber must have lost her spring cause she's sitting way too low.

damn.

that adds axles and brakes to my tires/shocks job

at least Ill end up with new brakes.

she should ride nice when done though....
Dave Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:51 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Gettysburg , Pennsylvania
There always a sliver lining. Just think what you repair now you don't have to re dig out and re do for when your done. I found a Airstream site that might help you, it did me.
There you'll be able to look a manual for the year or length of your trailer. Airstream :: Search If you can find it there I can send you the copy I found. By the way you were right
o25t9j166, if that is right
o is the model ( Overlander Model)
25' is the length
t is twin beds and rear bath
9 is the year
j is Jackson Center OH assembly plant
Sequential serial number
three digits places the year in the 60's
four places it in the 70's
Hope that helps you out some.
Faerymother
Faerymother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cole
talked to andy on the phone today for the first time. andy rules.

looks like (at least according to the Andy article of axle evaluation) that my '69 tradewind tandem axles are shot. the rubber must have lost her spring cause she's sitting way too low.

damn.

that adds axles and brakes to my tires/shocks job

at least Ill end up with new brakes.

she should ride nice when done though....
You may want to also get a price for those axels from Dexter Axel, I think they will be half the price of Henchions.

These are the folks that are building them now for AS.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Wow, this is an old thread. The guy that posted the question hasn't logged on for almost four years.

Better send him a PM.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote