Old 07-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
My wheels want tubes, but my tires don't

The original 1973 alloy “MAG” wheels are designed to be used with tubes. A removable valve stem will not seat in the hole designed for the stem of the tube. There may be other reasons why the tube is required too.

The guys in the tire store raise a fuss at the thought of using tubes with tubeless tires. Their concern is that the tube will increase the tire temp.

I currently use 225/15 ST tubeless and intend to switch to 235/15 LT next time I buy tires.

I want to keep the original wheels. Does anyone have advice? That’s a silly question. Does anyone have information leading to a solution?

Old 07-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , By Grace of God, Texas!
Contact your tire manufacturer. Ask them if it is safe. If not, I wouldn't.

cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The original wheels were designed for tubeless tires. Is there a label of some kind on the wheels that specify using tubes?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You need a special metal stem.

Perry
Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Check with Coker Tire and get their thoughts. I've been using high speed tubeless tires with tubes on hot rods for years without any problems...never had a blowout either.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
I'm not aware of a label on the wheels regarding tubes. The wheels will not accept valve stems, atleast not the vavle stems that les schwab has access to. So thats what forces the use of tubes. They did mention there is a tube made for radials which they still didn't recommend. I asked them if they ever heard of a tubeless radial, implying that it should be suitable for tubeless tires.

I've searched classic car forums and such but have not seen mention of special stems or how they have addressed this issue.

I've been using tubes (installed by Les Schwab) for five years just as the PO had done. I assume tubes have been used with tubeless tires on it for the past few decades. I'll continue to use tubes untill I find what the other 100,000 people do that have old wheels on their classic cars and AS.

I am somewhat concerened about the heat so I would like to address that or be assured that its not an issue.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
For years I ran 'tube' tires .. then tubeless on my Motorcycles. I sealed spoked rims and used screw on valves. You can get the valves at any O'Reilly's auto parts.

But, using the tubes gave me the most reliable for air retention... of course that was Harley's so they lose stuff all the time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15-4559-2_002.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	190233  
Old 07-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
I spoke with the helpfull folfs at Coker Tire. They knew exactly what I was dealing with. They suggested that tubes in tubeless tires are common and not an issue citing two conditions. #1 Use tubes designed for radials if you have radials. #2 Remove the tire inspection sticker(s) from the inside of the tire prior to installing the tube. The stickers have been known to cause tube failure.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
I spoke with the helpfull folfs at Coker Tire. They knew exactly what I was dealing with. They suggested that tubes in tubeless tires are common and not an issue citing two conditions. #1 Use tubes designed for radials if you have radials. #2 Remove the tire inspection sticker(s) from the inside of the tire prior to installing the tube. The stickers have been known to cause tube failure.
Sweet! Mount-n-Stream!