Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2015, 07:50 AM   #41
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jump89 View Post
I also have a 20' Flying Cloud. I've had one blowout with the GYM's. I don't wish to repeat it. Les Schwab saved the day however. Almost like a commercial. It's definitely a heavy 5,000 gvw single axle trailer.

So I'm looking to either go the 16" wheel and michelin route or try some Power King STR II replacements.

They're rated to 2830 lbs and Tire Rack says they're good to 75 mph.

Anyone have experience with them?

I've always had great experience with Michelins so I hesitate to consider anything else.

Thoughts?
You say you had a "Blowout" Was it a sidewall failure or did the belts separate from the body. Pictures of the failed tire would help arrive at an idea of the probable cause.
If however you do not run a TPMS and had no warning of pending failure the evidence needed to learn the cause was probably destroyed.

The reason I ask is that without knowing the real reason for the failure it may mean that the corrective action you are planning may not be addressing the real cause.

This would be like asking a Doctor to do By-Pass surgery because you thought you had clogged arteries when in fact the defect was with the "electrical system" of the heart.

Saying you had a "blowout" is much like saying you had "heart failure" when the reason for the heart failure could be anything from clogged arteries to a ruptured valve.

Side issue what is the actual measured load on your current tires?
What size do you currently run? Load Range?
What is your cold inflation pressure setting?
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #42

2012 20' Flying Cloud
BEND , Oregon
Thanks for your good words Tireman9. Cause of the tire failure is unknown. The incident occurred with my 20' 2012 Flying Cloud while bringing it home from the AS dealer on the day of purchase. It was a 1 year old unit. Tires were in new condition. I can't attest or confirm the tire pressure at failure. Spec'd Unit Base Weight is 4211 lbs, single axle. 640 lbs on the tongue measured. Tires are the stock Goodyear Marathons Load Range D 15" 225 75 15 running @65 psi cold.

While I don't know the specific cause of the failure, the litany of reports related to Goodyear Marathons are difficult to ignore. TPMS may be in the future as well.

Trying to get some peace of mind while on our more remote trips.
jump89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
To the Original Poster,

I had exactly the same concerns when we purchased our first Airstream, a new 19' model year leftover. I asked the dealer how many single axle trailer flip overs as a result of a blow out they had seen. The answer was zero in 40 years of business. Was also told that if "I didn't want to worry about it, to have new tires installed every 4 years. Had no problems.

Now, with a larger trailer, am considering the 16" route. And, like the peace of mind of the TPMS that has served me well.
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #44
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jump89 View Post
Thanks for your good words Tireman9. Cause of the tire failure is unknown. The incident occurred with my 20' 2012 Flying Cloud while bringing it home from the AS dealer on the day of purchase. It was a 1 year old unit. Tires were in new condition. I can't attest or confirm the tire pressure at failure. Spec'd Unit Base Weight is 4211 lbs, single axle. 640 lbs on the tongue measured. Tires are the stock Goodyear Marathons Load Range D 15" 225 75 15 running @65 psi cold.

While I don't know the specific cause of the failure, the litany of reports related to Goodyear Marathons are difficult to ignore. TPMS may be in the future as well.

Trying to get some peace of mind while on our more remote trips.
Have to wonder about tire inflation or puncture with "new" tires. People need to realize that there appears to be dealers out there who have no idea that tire inflation is important. My new Coachmen MH was delivered with every tire low and some significantly low. One was -13psi and this after I was charged a "prep" fee by the dealer.

In my experience, tires simply do not fail for no reason as if by magic. Under-inflation is most likely the cause and can result in a tire failing in 10 miles or less. Overload and low inflation will overheat the rubber which can result in belt separation after hundreds and or thousands of miles of exposure to the excess heat generated which weakens the rubber.
Manufacturing defects will usually show up very quickly as the most likely error is a mix up of materials such that components do not cure properly. This can result is components coming apart but this would usually occur very early in life. Sometimes there are external indications such as very localized wear with the tread being 1/2 worn in a smapp area or a large sidewall bubble.

TPMS can't address all the possible causes for failure but they can warn of air loss due to cut or puncture or even leaking valve.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote