Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 06:49 AM   #21
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsr4us View Post
This tire is rated to 80 psi. E ratind

The marathons are 65 psi are D rated

I have alloy wheels. - can they take the higher inflation pressure of the endurance and is that wise given the sticker on the trailer stating 65 psi - I presume because the marathons came as standard and they max out at 65
First, don't mix inflation pressures. When mixing the Marathon with the Endurance, use the same pressure.

Second, the wheel MIGHT have some stamping on it that indicates the max pressure. Usually it is on the back side (You have to take the wheel off the vehicle), but sometimes it is in the well (covered by the mounted tire.)

HOWEVER, this stamping is NOT required by the regulations, so it may not be there at all - AND - according to every wheel engineer I have talked to, it's the load that is important, not the pressure. So if you want to use the higher pressure (once you have all 4 tires changed over), then you can probably get away with it.

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #22
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Mixing endurance and marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Yup. Lost a one-year-old Goodyear marathon today to a road hazard. Stuff happens…

Sorry should have read lost a one-year-old Goodyear Endurance… this is on my 2017 30 foot international
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Port Saint Lucie , Florida
Airstream got back today and confirmed the wheel will take 80psi so no problem there and I am also receiving advice from all the airstream people where we are camped and from you guys that provided the load is not at max, inflating to 80 is not recommend due to vibration issues so yes I will be weighing and using the appropriate psi for the loaded weight.

2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT Crew Cab Duramax 2WD
ttsr4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Airstream got back today and confirmed the wheel will take 80psi so no problem there and I am also receiving advice from all the airstream people where we are camped and from you guys that provided the load is not at max, inflating to 80 is not recommend due to vibration issues so yes I will be weighing and using the appropriate psi for the loaded weight.
FYI- I just replaced my 1 year GYM's with 15K miles with the new Endurance 15" also. For my 28' weight, I need to run 45-50PSI according to the table mentioned earlier. The dealer put 1000 miles so far, and no issues...I had several issues including cracking, on GYM's several years ago on 1st AS, and always have replaced the GYM's since with Michelins...but now, Michelin does not make an LT in 15" anymore, and I have been reading only good things on the Endurance model...GYM's were made in China I believe; Endurance are made in USA...not sure it matters, but I feel better....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:33 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Port Saint Lucie , Florida
Placebo-maybe

The new Endurance tires certainly run well.

Maybe because they are low mileage or maybe they are a new design or maybe it’s just my imagination.

Anyway, follow the advice in the manual about checking the torque. My wheels did need tightening. It’s something to really pay attention to.

2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT Crew Cab Duramax 2WD
ttsr4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Good move to replace all GYM tires. Hopefully the Endurance will have a better track record.
Metal valve stems are a cheap upgrade, and worth the few extra dollars.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #27
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Tires

The new Goodyear Endurance is a 10 ply tire whereas the Marathon was only an 8 ply. Endurance is rated at 80mph whereas Marathons are rated at max of 65mph. Enough said!!!
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
I find it interesting that the OP states he hit some debris and many folks are ignoring that information in their recommendations.

People, tires are not immune to road hazards. You can argue that a Marathon has some issues, but this wasn't the result of that.
BINGO.....

And I suggest getting a TPMS for your tires.

Tires just don't BLOW...there is a reason.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Had a blowout today using 2016 marathon 225 75 15

Hit some debris on i81 just north of Roanoke. Virginia road ranger via Virginia HP WAS MAGIC. THANK YOU GUYS.

Anyways am homeward bound to Florida. So my plan is to replace the blown tire with endurance and use it as a spare for the remainder of the trip running with four marathon and then replace the other marathons when back home.

Is there any major down side to this plan?

My first question is "Why did the tire fail?" Have you read THIS post?
If you need help in the analysis I may be able to offer assistance if you can send good pictures. PM me if you have questions.

If the tire failed because of a sidewall Run Low Flex failure then you suffered an air loss due to puncture, cut or valve leak. These causes have no relation tot he name on the tire sidewall or the country of origin.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I'm still wondering why ST tires pick up nails and hit potholes that cause it to fail far far more often than LT tires.

Good question. Could you point to the source of your data? I have never seen a summary that identifies the number of trailers that run LT vs the number that run ST but would suspect that in trailer application ST type far outnumbers LT type. To do a valid comparison and make any claim you need DATA.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Grateful

Quote:

Hit some debris on i81 just north of Roanoke. Virginia road ranger via Virginia HP WAS MAGIC. THANK YOU GUYS.

Anyways am homeward bound to Florida. So my plan is to replace the blown tire with endurance and use it as a spare for the remainder of the trip running with four marathon and then replace the other marathons when back home.

Glad you're safe and glad VA could assist you. But I noticed you forgot to thank Goodyear. Go to 16" Syndels and Michelin LTX, you'll be confident and happy.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
Quote:

I have been doing the replacement thing since I purchased my 2012 Classic. I have installed Carlisle 10 ply tires and still am blowing them. What we need is what I did for my former 5th wheel. Replace the wheels to 16" and then install Michelin all steel XPS RIB truck tires. (Not made in 15") NO MORE BLOWOUTS. What a good feeling!
Uncle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Milton , Ontario
Did you have a blowout or a tread or sidewall puncture. I changed from GYMs to Endurance about 18 months back. The tires must have been just off the production line according to the date stamp. One thing to watch is the different tire pressures these tires run at. I am running the Endurance at 75 to 80 PSI where the GYMs are around 65Max for full load. Goodyear have a chart, which you can get online for both tires , that shows the load capacity at different pressures. Not sure if you could run the Endurance as low as 65 but you can check.
Just for info I ran on GYMs for 4 years without any major problems. When I changed to the Endurance I had two tires, original and spare, in the same position, punctured through the sidewall within 200 miles on a trip from Alabama into Florida. That was from road debris. Also thanks to the Fla road ranger who covered me when I was changing the tire.
When I left Florida to return to Canada I hit a pothole in a gas station in NY state on our last leg to Toronto and again pinched the sidewall and flattened the tire. This has nothing to do with the tire quality or reliability but just terrible luck. Just one last piece of advice. Get a tire monitoring system and tire replacement insurance. It saved me a lot of grief.
happy travels
Norrie
Norrie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
After two belt separations on two separate, barely used, almost-new GYM's in consecutive years, despite watching my trailer weight, using tire monitors, a high quality tire gauge, and checking temps at rest stops with an IR thermometer, I changed all four at a nearby tire dealer where the second one occurred. I made it at low speed to the dealer near a popular ski lake and asked the owner what he recommended. He said, "Not those", referring to the GYM's. I bought a set of boat trailer tires that he said he'd never had a problem with in several years of installing them on ski boat trailers, pulled by half-drunk skiers at 80- 90 MPH. They're Towstar ST225/75R15 E10, 2490# at 80 psi. I run them at 72 psi and have had no problems in the three years since I switched.
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
I checked with the website recommend for tire dating - TireTech. They show new DOT dating for 2000 on. I checked my six trailers - all with tires bought after 2004, and only two used the 'new' system of dating (which is much simpler than the old system). The rest used the old system using a Alpha system. So it looks like it's not mandatory. Does anyone know where to look online for the 'old' DOT system codes?
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
Try this page:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
First, don't mix inflation pressures. When mixing the Marathon with the Endurance, use the same pressure.

Second, the wheel MIGHT have some stamping on it that indicates the max pressure. Usually it is on the back side (You have to take the wheel off the vehicle), but sometimes it is in the well (covered by the mounted tire.)

HOWEVER, this stamping is NOT required by the regulations, so it may not be there at all - AND - according to every wheel engineer I have talked to, it's the load that is important, not the pressure. So if you want to use the higher pressure (once you have all 4 tires changed over), then you can probably get away with it.
Our Alcoa wheels...👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14kb5g4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	321369  
Old 09-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Use tire pressure on trailer placard. More air makes harsher ride in the GYE tires vs GYM. Tires. If all tires are GYE, then the GYM 65mph speed restriction is raised to a higher number. Check new tire sidewall for that higher speed number.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1996 30' Land Yacht
Riverview , Florida
I've had awful experiences with the GYMs. Two blowouts on one trip in 2010 alone and they were new tires. Made a claim with GY and they reimbursed the cost of the set with no haggling. I've changed to Maxxis and have had one flat from a nail. Also highly recommend using tire monitors. When I picked up the nail the system indicated a slow leak and I avoided a blowout.
pryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Issaquah , Washington
LT Michelin tires

In the August Blue Beret the Airstream Tech Help Group made this recommendation: (I'll add that at the International rally he also said replace all valve stems to stainless steel )

Install new LT tires if they will fit your trailer. I
prefer the Michelin LTX 215/85R 16E MS tires
(the Defender, a 50K mile tire). Airstream put
these tires on the Eddie Bauer trailer. You will also
have to go to 6” x 16” wheels (I recommend steel
wheels finished to match the aluminum Airstream
look) for these tires. The inflated outside diameter
of these tires is 30.4”. You will have to match the
bolt pattern of your trailer. Get zero offset wheels
for your trailer. A quick measurement on your trailer
will tell you if this is possible. If the 16’s won’t
fit, Goodyear has a 15” LT tire that might work.
Everything is riding on your tires! ASTHG 0316;
0416; 0517. Airstream Tech Help Group month
and year in the PDF files.
mademoiselle is offline   Reply With Quote