Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2016, 08:21 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Unless your trailer is self propelled this is not a issue.A trailer just follows your tow vehicle and traction is not a issue.
It is a issue for your tow vehicle as it needs traction for pulling and turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
You are probably absolutely correct.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #82
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Unless your trailer is self propelled this is not a issue.A trailer just follows your tow vehicle and traction is not a issue.
It is a issue for your tow vehicle as it needs traction for pulling and turning.
Ahh....unless you're towing at around 9,000' and the rain turns to sleet and then snow in less than a mile and your trailer decides it wants to go faster than the tow vehicle...and all of a sudden it doesn't want to just follow.

That was the tightest U-turn I've ever made with a 28' trailer on a two lane highway!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:54 PM   #83
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
When we purchased the XL P tires and Sendel wheels for the 23, America's tire rep called me back to make sure that I understood the tire was rated for about 1800 lbs. For a 6000 lb gross weight, that is a lot of headroom. They had no problem mounting the tires to be used on an Airstream. As it turned out, I installed them at home, because I needed to wait for the Centramatics to arrive.

Do not plan on traveling on snow covered roads, but conceptually I really like the better traction of an all weather tire. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:22 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto to mojo and PKI. When the conditions call for it, a more aggressive tread is needed -- snow, turning, downhill braking, etc.. Pinching pennies can get expensive, looking in the mirror with hindsight.

Better safe than sorry . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires have a larger foot print on the pavement than the original 14" GYM ST215/75R14C tires installed on our 2015 23D or the original 15" GYM ST225/75R15D tires installed on our 2013 25FB. That larger foot print is better for braking and handling side loads created by cross winds and or passing trucks. We use(d) 44 psi in both applications so the trailer had a softer ride with no 65 mph speed restriction like on the sidewalls of the GYM tires which are placarded to have 50 psi in the 14" tire and 65 psi in the 15" tire.

Note that the sidewall rating for the Michelin tire captioned above is 2,183 pounds. That load capacity is reached at 41 psi with this tire and it can be inflated to 50 psi to stiffen the sidewalls. However, in the trailer environment, this "P" series tire must be derated 10% to 1,985 pounds. Thus even with the derated load capacity, this tire has the reserve load capacity that could work even for the 27' and 28' models with a GVW of 7,600 pounds. Note that this most likely does exclude the Land Yacht with a 8,200 pound GVW which may be now coming on the 16" Michelins.

Note that Airstream uses the same axle on these models per the 2015 Interntional Parts Book:

410980-02 Axle, 3800 Lbs., 28’, 27’, 25’, 25 & 27FB Eddie Bauer

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
Also, has anyone had any issues with a tire dealer putting the Michelin LT tires on a trailer? I have heard of tire places saying they wont put anything but a trailer tire on a trailer....
I had one Discount Tire (Naperville IL) refuse right out of the box when I called them. Another Discount Tire (Addison IL) was hesitant but finally agreed after some discussion.

I was fully upfront when I called, as I didn't want any surprises when I showed up a the shop.

I did bring just the wheels, not the whole trailer, as I prefer to torque my own wheels.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have been advised by Airstream repair shop owners on this forum, our Airstream Owners Manual, and our own experience that Airstreams can suffer from an excessively stiff ride.

So we use the Michelin LTX M/S 16" tires at 65 psi for a softer sidewall, good braking traction, and reliability. And that Airstream also uses this tire as an upgrade.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I see that, but is that the only difference?
I believe summer tires take the heat best.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have been advised by Airstream repair shop owners on this forum, our Airstream Owners Manual, and our own experience that Airstreams can suffer from an excessively stiff ride.

So we use the Michelin LTX M/S 16" tires at 65 psi for a softer sidewall, good braking traction, and reliability. And that Airstream also uses this tire as an upgrade.
Thanks doug. I looked for the complete specs. of your tires in previous posts and threads but have not found them. Could you please post them?

For the Defender series of tires, the TireRack site shows a variety of sizes, but only certain ones permit 65 psi. Perhaps you have a higher duty load range etc. tire? Not sure if you have the Defender series also. Thanks

Thanks,

Peter

See under "Specs" here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...nder+LTX+M%2FS

And here are the non-Defender LTX M/S tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=LTX+M%2FS
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
American Tire (local name for Discount Tire chain) sold me the Sendels and XPS Ribs and mounted and balanced them for me with steel valves, but wouldn't mount them on the Airstream only because they had no experience with the Centramatics. I believe they would have mounted them on the Airstream without Cetnramatics. So I purchased them at an American Tire store close to C&G Airstream in Bellflower, CA, and Rod mounted them with the new Centramatics for me while he was doing some other work for me. He had a slight challenge getting the larger wheel/tire to fit into the standard Airstream spare tire holder, but got it done.

I was very impressed with both shop. The American Tire guys were right on top of their game as far as pricing-they seemed to be aware of everyone else's prices on the Michelin's and were very competitive--no haggling necessary. We also chose them because there seem to be a lot of Discount Tire shops along our route from Southern California to Texas. although not quite as many from Southern California up to Washington State--Les Schwab seems to rule in the upper left hand corner of the country.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

HI Doug-

Thanks for the input. After much back and forth on the forum about the right tire pressure for the 16" Michelins, we contacted Airstream directly about recommended tire pressures for the 16's that they offer. We spoke to two different techs over time. Their official advice is to set the tires to manufacturer's specs. By that they mean 80 psi. In reality, this is a MAX of 80 psi, but gets closer to the high 60's or low 70's (depending on how much safety percentage) according to Michelin's charts for load bearing capacity. And we all know to do this on our trucks--many of us have 80 psi tires that the truck manufacturer recommends setting lower, especially for the front end, and only higher when the load is high (such as the rear when towing.)

When I asked the Airstream guys specifically whether we should set at 65-73 or so to give the coach the ride for which it was designed or at 80 to get the best tire wear, they repeated that they advised 80 psi but agreed that the lower pressures ARE better for the coach. I was able to engage one gentleman, and he agreed that it's a compromise. At 80 psi, the sidewalls are better supported for the shear that can happen especially when backing up at extreme angles, and most of our Airstream tire failures seems to be from tread separation, which is likely related to this pushing the tires (especially the front tires on a double axle) almost completely sideways. But on the other hand, it definitely gives the coach a harsher ride. Our first trip on the new XPS's at 78 psi definitely resulted in stuff moving around inside that never had before--we had a kitchen cabinet burst open for the first time and dishes all over the coach--and more of the tiny inside rivets popping earlier than usual--no question at all. We we've decided to re-set at 73psi, as others have suggested, still leaving a healthy load bearing safety margin. BUT, if we know that we're doing a trip where there's going to be a lot of backing into tight spaces on pavement (instead of softer gravel or loose dirt or sand) where the front trailer tires are going to be scrubbed sideways hard, we may run them higher on those days. In fact, in a perfect world, we'd actually pump them up before maneuvering into a tight space, and then bleed them once out of the space and aligned straight for the day's drive. But I doubt that I'll do that in the real world, and hence the 73 psi compromise.

--Cliff
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Cliff, I agree there are compromises on tire choice and pressures used, not everyone agrees. As you say we each have to research and experiment to find what works for our own use. By nature I am sensitive to safety while finding the best way to care for our Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
American Tire (local name for Discount Tire chain) sold me the Sendels and XPS Ribs and mounted and balanced them for me with steel valves, but wouldn't mount them on the Airstream only because they had no experience with the Centramatics. I believe they would have mounted them on the Airstream without Cetnramatics.
Discount Tire in Casa Grande AZ happily sold me and mounted tires onto my TV (Dodge 2500HD) with my Centramatics.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Ahh....unless you're towing at around 9,000' and the rain turns to sleet and then snow in less than a mile and your trailer decides it wants to go faster than the tow vehicle...and all of a sudden it doesn't want to just follow.

That was the tightest U-turn I've ever made with a 28' trailer on a two lane highway!

Been there done that but there is not a tire made that will help a trailer in that situation.Towing in ice and snow is an art with a lot of luck involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #95
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Please stay on topic or the thread will be closed.

The topic is Michelin XPS RIB vs. LTX M/S2.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Please stay on topic or the thread will be closed.

The topic is Michelin XPS RIB vs. LTX M/S2.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Please take the time to read the tread.We are on topic.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #97
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Yeah! There's no argument or name calling going on here. Simply discussion about summer tires in winter conditions. Which is the topic.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
So here's a question, what do UPS trucks use in the winter if the Rib is a summer tire?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:17 AM   #99
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
So here's a question, what do UPS trucks use in the winter if the Rib is a summer tire?
Chains!

Old 02-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I always understood the summer/winter tire ratings as having to do with traction and rubber compounds in the tire. Summer tires had less aggressive treads and lugs and harder compounds because traction wasn't an issue, and the harder compound wore better and was more impervious to heat. Conversely, the winter treads were more aggressive for traction and steering, and softer rubber blend gave a better purchase on the pavement. Heat/wear not a primary concern. When I lived in the snowbound north, I always drove studded snows on all 4 wheels (even on the two-wheel/front wheel drive cars) and summer touring tires with a unidirectional tread (i.e. Michelin Pilot Exalto), which gave excellent traction and hydroplaning resistance.

But, on a trailer, where you do not have to worry about traction or steering, I don't see the issue - and the advantage seems to go to the Rib, as it is the stronger tire. Am I missing some vital tire specification here?