Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2016, 08:26 AM   #61
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Its got a rib tread not an all season tread.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Its got a rib tread not an all season tread.
I see that, but is that the only difference?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Michelin XPS RIB vs. LTX M/S2

The tire is completely different with a thicker sidewall and a higher quality build.Fedex and UPS use the Ribs on delivery trucks due to durability and long wear.I have been using Ribs in a 16 inch for over 30,000 miles on our 28ft International.They show no wear and have even wear.I run 65-70 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I'm going to be a total geek and run out and examine the tires on the next FedEx or UPS truck that comes to my house. Meanwhile, the Michelin web site states the following:

Summer tires are primarily designed for high-performance vehicles and provide optimal dry and wet performance levels in a temperate environment. Summer tires are not designed to be used during the winter season where temperatures are colder and approach freezing consistently as their performance would be less than optimal.

Is it really just tread design that makes it summer only.....
Old 02-14-2016, 04:57 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
[snip]
Is it really just tread design that makes it summer only.....
I will venture a guess that the rubber compound is different to maximize the tires' grip on the pavement in warm weather, similar to Nokian snow tires which offer a softer compound for cold weather use. I have never used these, but folks from the northern climes swear by the traction afforded when the Nokian tire rubber meets cold road pavement.

Perhaps the tire experts here could comment?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:57 AM   #66
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
The Michelin XPS Rib is not only a commercial summer rib tire, it is also a steel ply tire - compared to the Michelin LTX M/S2 which is an all season as well as a polyester/steel construction.

This means that the XPS Rib is designed for retreading and heavy service, like on UPS and FedEx trucks, where the emphasis is on longevity, as opposed to LTX M/S2 would be more designed for consumer usage on a pickup or van, where the emphasis would be on fuel economy, traction, and soft ride.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #67
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
As mentioned earlier, Michelin states the XPS Rib tire is a "Summer" tire. What was not mentioned is that there appears to be a comparable tire which is "All Season". It's called the XPS Traction and is slightly more expensive.

I'm curious what makes the tire suitable for its environment. If it is just the tread, the the Rib would be my choice for a trailer because I don't need as much traction. But if it is tire composition, then I'd go with the Traction.

What is interesting is that they state 'not intended for cold temperatures first' then talk about snow and ice. It's as if they are saying stay out of the cold...period.

Crack. Pop. Bang.
I may be wrong, but I think Ted is asking about the difference between the XPS Rib and the XPS Traction.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
So anyway, I found some interesting info. on the Michelin website from a link someone on Airforms posted on another Thread. Bottom line, it appears the summer tire has a different composition, which hardens and looses traction in colder temperatures regardless of snow and ice:

Do I need winter tires?

Yes, if you live in an area where the ambient temperature regularly approaches freezing point below 44°F or gets heavy snow or ice then you will likely need winter tires. At that temperature, the rubber on standard tires starts to harden and can lose its grip.

More here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=273
Old 02-15-2016, 08:58 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
However the FedEx and UPS trucks use rib tires on a 19.5 tire - a true "truck tire". Do not confuse the construction and load rating of a LT tire (16", 17", 18", 20") with a true commercial truck tire (16.5", 19.5" etc.). Different beasts altogether. A few years back, when I had a 11.5' slide in camper in my pickup with SRWs, I looked into upgrading from the LT wheels/tires to commercial grade 19.5" rims/tires and came across these guys who made the rims for GM, Ford and Ram trucks:
http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/

I may still get a set for my current TV, even though I don't have all the weight of a slide-in. Nothing to slow me down but money...

Tim
Old 02-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
After tons of research, my Michelin XPS RIB vs. LTX M/S2 debate is over.

I'm going with the LTX M/S2.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #71
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Possibly the rubber compound gets harder as it gets colder?

I know for a fact that most high performance "summer" passenger tires will have tread compounds that do get harder in the cold. I have even seed tread rubber on ultra-high performance tires crack and shatter due to extreme cold.

Now the XPS rib is not in the same category as these HP tires but if Michelin says they are "summer" tires then I would not consider them suitable for operation in snow conditions.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I know for a fact that most high performance "summer" passenger tires will have tread compounds that do get harder in the cold. I have even seed tread rubber on ultra-high performance tires crack and shatter due to extreme cold.

Now the XPS rib is not in the same category as these HP tires but if Michelin says they are "summer" tires then I would not consider them suitable for operation in snow conditions.
At the risk of being a bit OT, are you familiar with Nokian snow tires, and the compounds they use for good adhesion to the pavement in cold weather? I have read on other forums that they really work, but must be taken off as soon as winter is over, as they wear down quickly on pavement.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
After tons of research, my Michelin XPS RIB vs. LTX M/S2 debate is over.

I'm going with the LTX M/S2.
What led you to this decision?

Also, has anyone had any issues with a tire dealer putting the Michelin LT tires on a trailer? I have heard of tire places saying they wont put anything but a trailer tire on a trailer....
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I ended up choosing the LTX M/S2 over the RIB. As much as I wanted the RIB, I just decided it was probably not worth the extra money (which was significant). I based this on the success everyone is having with the LTX M/S2. I also decided the LTX may have slightly better grip which could help with braking and hydroplaning resistance. I still would love to try the RIBs though. Maybe someday when I have more money laying around or they offer a great deal on them.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Who's mounting & balancing these for everyone?? Everywhere I read that tire shops will only mount tires spec'd for the vehicle. I dont see where the LTX M/S2 is spec'd for Trailers.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Discount Tire in Mesa, AZ installed the 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires onto the SenDel T03-56545T 15" wheels along with the senders for the Dill 1506-453 TPMS system. I purchased all three items from them for our 23D. They were aware of the intended use ands still gave me a warranty. I installed them when I got to the dealership on the East coast.

CostCo in Mesa, AZ mounted the 16" LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires onto my SenDel T03-66655T wheels along with the senders for the Dill 1506-453 TPMS system for our 2014 31' Classic. In 2015 this tire and wheel combination became standard on the 31' Classics. They were available on all the Eddie Bauer models and for sale at the Airstream Service Center in Ohio as you entered by the Customer entrance.

I personally installed the 16" tires and wheels in the storage area as soon as I got the Classic off of the dealer's lot.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #77
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Most tire shops do not have data for trailers. And I am sure if you brought down a set of rims to have tires mounted and told them it was for a trailer you would leave with tires mounted on rims. There isn't much liability on the part of a tire shop to mount anything on a vehicle not designed to carry humans.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
What led you to this decision?

Also, has anyone had any issues with a tire dealer putting the Michelin LT tires on a trailer? I have heard of tire places saying they wont put anything but a trailer tire on a trailer....
The biggest factor was that the Rib is a summer tire and I tow in the winter.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:05 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
Who's mounting & balancing these for everyone?? Everywhere I read that tire shops will only mount tires spec'd for the vehicle. I dont see where the LTX M/S2 is spec'd for Trailers.

I called a local (New England) Town Fair Tire and explained what I wanted (15" P rated Michelins on my 27FB). Brought the trailer to their shop and had them installed directly on the trailer with internal TST TPMS sending units.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
The biggest factor was that the Rib is a summer tire and I tow in the winter.

Unless your trailer is self propelled this is not a issue.A trailer just follows your tow vehicle and traction is not a issue.
It is a issue for your tow vehicle as it needs traction for pulling and turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote