Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Michelin tires on tow vehicle

I have a 2000 diesel Excrsion purchased new.
Since my o.e.m. Firestones blew out (later recalled) at 12,000 miles I have been running Goodrich All Terrain Radial T.A., first in load range D and then E's when they stopped making D's. I thought I needed these because I drive a lot in hot weather and on crummy Mexican roads. I used to drive off road but have not done that in several years. The Goodrich's have an agressive tread and a triple sidewall layer and beat me black and blue but never did let me down.
In 210,000 miles I went through five sets of them.
The ride on my Ex was like an oxcart, but I thought that was the nature of the beast. I spent lots of $$ on my front end with two sets of ball joints, tie rods, sway bars, hubs, ect.
When my last set of Goodrich's started throwing hunks of tread, I thought would switch to Michelins in hopes of improving the ride as they made a huge difference in the ride of my Airstream when I switched to them.
I got a set of LTX 265 R 75 16 LRE and it is like I have a new tow vehicle. The ride is much improved, the tires track very well, and they are less noisy. The Goodrich's made a hum and the Excursion protested the stiff tires with a crash every time we hit a big pothole.
I used to end a day's drive with a knot betwen my shoulders, but after this drive I felt less fatigued.
I wish I had started with these tires in the first place.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
A lot of folks don't realize that all vehicles have 2 sets of ( at least eight total) shock absorbers. From my very first automotive technology program course in 1982...."tires are primary shock absorbers".

The construction of the sidewalls and tread carcass is every bit as important as the rubber compound and tread pattern. IMPO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote