Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I decided to acquire a SenDel S62-66655G galvanized steel wheel for the spare and put the fifth aluminum wheel I acquired with the other four in it's box storage in case I even need a spare wheel...

I ordered the five LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires yesterday while there is still stock in the area.

The folks at Discount Ire and CostCo think the initial replacements will come from the tire captioned above as the recalled tires are an older design.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Very coincidental that as these Michelins became more popular for ST use, we're seeing a recall for same problem that plagued GYM's
Old 12-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
Very coincidental that as these Michelins became more popular for ST use, we're seeing a recall for same problem that plagued GYM's
I certainly hope it's a coincidence and not an anti-travel trailer plot.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I certainly hope it's a coincidence and not an anti-travel trailer plot.

Ken
that appears to only effects the big ones...
Old 12-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Well, in my case, if my tires are included, it will be a good thing. I was going to take the trailer to discount tire to get the tires rotated this spring. It would be even nicer to exchange them for 5 new ones.

Ken
Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
I read this tire recall tidbit last weekend and on Monday ordered five of the Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires while they still had some in stock at the distributor in California. I was planning on ordering in January anyway.

Both the local CostCo Tire and Discount Tire folks think there is a strong probability that the M/S2 tire will be used as replacements for the prior generation M/S tires. Needing 1.3 million replacements in an expedited fashion could put a crimp in the supply chain.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 12-18-2013, 04:35 AM   #47
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Thanks, Typical Govt redundancy.....I guess the fact that "Michelin LTX M/S" molded in right above the DOT code means nothing.
Not exactly.

That code is also used to distinguish between versions of the tire as it changes over time. It's also used to distinguish between families of constructions - like the difference between an LT and a P type. Or other types of things like that. The code can also be used to embed other odd bits of info than might be of interest - and using a different code would make it easy to sort out using a computer.

It's an optional code that the tire manufacturer can do with as he sees fit.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #48
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
Hi Boondockdad,
Is there any way to find out the who, where, what of the 20 claims that Michelin received? I looked on the safecar.gov site, but didn't find any solid, clear information. It would be great to know the details of the 20 cases.

"Michelin said it had detected a “tread/belt endurance” problem through warranty claims and 20 claims from consumers seeking reimbursement for damage to their vehicles but there had been no reports of injuries."

Maybe they were used on a heavy van or Class B or C MoHo. I know we are all interested to know if any of the claims were on a travel trailer. We may never know.

I do have to give a lot of credit to Michelin for handling the problem. It does take that kind of effort (and money) to keep your good name. They are definitely putting safety and quality ahead of profit.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Hi Boondockdad,
Is there any way to find out the who, where, what of the 20 claims that Michelin received? I looked on the safecar.gov site, but didn't find any solid, clear information. It would be great to know the details of the 20 cases.

"Michelin said it had detected a “tread/belt endurance” problem through warranty claims and 20 claims from consumers seeking reimbursement for damage to their vehicles but there had been no reports of injuries."

Maybe they were used on a heavy van or Class B or C MoHo. I know we are all interested to know if any of the claims were on a travel trailer. We may never know.

I do have to give a lot of credit to Michelin for handling the problem. It does take that kind of effort (and money) to keep your good name. They are definitely putting safety and quality ahead of profit.
Whether Michelin LT's are in fact being used more for ST service is my opinion, only. My data is strictly anecdotal, gleaned from various RV sites.

AFA data on nature of recalls; I would guess manufacturers would keep that pretty close to the vest. I'm pretty sure there are other members here who could better answer that.

Always been very happy with Michelin, on truck and trailer. I remember talking to a special vehicle operations engineer at Ford years ago, and he told me Michelin was lightyears ahead of the other tire manufacturers in design and construction.

With respect to 'doing the right thing'-- Goodyear paid tire replacement and insurance deductibles, on both my GYM failure incidents (but I never saw any recalls)
Old 12-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Michelin recall

Folks: Thought I would post results of our experience with the Michelin recall, which was outstanding.

I learned of the recall on Sunday and wondered if my Michelin tires might be affected. I purchased the 16" wheels and tires at Jackson Center two years ago to replace our GYM 15's. Since that time we have put just under 20K miles on the trailer with nothing but outstanding tire performance.

I noted on the recall announcement that the Michelin 800 number was manned on Sunday, and dog gone if I did not get to speak to a real person in Canada after maybe three rings of the phone. Try that with AT&T!

The Michelin fellow was most helpful, confirmed my tires were subject to the recall and gave me three potential local dealers to go to for replacement at no charge.

On Monday, I called my dealer. They were not aware of the recall and contacted Michelin for details. By Monday afternoon they had five brand new tires waiting for me.

Today I had the new tires installed. The dealer noted what a great company Michelin is to handle this recall in this manner....no adjustments or hassles, just replace the tire at no charge to the customer.

I could not agree more. We feel like we just got two years use of the original tires for free with excellent service.

We have used Michelin exclusively on our passenger vehicles for years and still think they are the best tire value on the market. This experience verifies that perception.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #51
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Could not have happened to a nicer fellow Tater! Glad it worked out for you.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Fairhope , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
Could not have happened to a nicer fellow Tater! Glad it worked out for you.
Thanks, Joe! Looking forward to seeing your new rig at Canopener.
Merry Christmas, all!
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:17 AM   #53
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Upgraded all five at Alumapalooza 2011 and all five are part of the recall. Looks like that's about $1,175 worth of new tires coming my way.

Interestingly enough, and I am not suggesting a dangerous condition or connection with the recall, but after two years of flawless service, my tires are showing some sidewall cracking.

2023 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3/4.30 FX4 CCLB
2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I was relieved when I checked mine yesterday and found out that they were MS2's. Got them from Airstream in October.
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
I was relieved when I checked mine yesterday and found out that they were MS2's. Got them from Airstream in October.
Assuming you mean October 2013: If they were from the recalled period, I doubt you would have accepted them, because the would have been well over a year old. The recalled tires were last manufactured in the week ending on June 23, 2012.

My tires were manufactured two weeks prior to that.

Another thing the DTC guy asked me to check was the DOT code and make sure it starts with B3. I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Ken
Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Yes, I should have clarified I meant 2013. I bought the trailer in September, and changed out the GYM tires then. My 25 Eddie Bauer that I traded in had the MS tires.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #57
Rivet Master

I got around to checking my tires today. Out of 5 tires only 2 are subject to the recall. The other 3 have a DOT code beginning with B7 rather than B3. All 5 have a date code within range however. I called Michelin to be sure the B7 ones were not recalled, and they confirmed that was the case.

Ken
Old 01-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Before tire replacement, check the tread depth in multiple locations on each of the four trailer tires that are on the ground. If a couple have worn down more than the the other two, place the new tires in those "more wear" locations and then the set might wear out together.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Before tire replacement, check the tread depth in multiple locations on each of the four trailer tires that are on the ground. If a couple have worn down more than the the other two, place the new tires in those "more wear" locations and then the set might wear out together.

There's not much wear on any of them. They only have 4711 miles on them. The funny part is, the spare is one of two to be replaced. It has zero miles.

I am planning on putting the two new ones on the rear wheels and if I can find a more worn one of the other three, I'll make that the spare.

What I though would be a good deal is turning out to be a PITA. However, not doing it is not an option. If I kept the recalled ones and one of them came apart and damaged the trailer, I'd have no recourse. (I would say it is possible even my insurance would not pay, if they knew the details).

Ken
Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
You got that right! Any excuse to NOT pay a claim is more profit and the "adjuster" gets a bonus award. The client gets the shaft.