Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #81

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Went down today to my inside storage to check the tires for the recall. Date wise we fell right into the timeframe of the manufacturing of the recalled tires. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the DOT sequence on my tires differed. So I'm off the hook and have a good set of tires. The first two characters of the DOT sequence identify the plant that manufactured the tires, so apparently not all of these tires in our style and size, manufactured within the timeframe of concern are bad. What's interesting is the dates of manufacture of the bad tires. From the recall letter, the production period was from the 2nd week of 2010 through the 25th week of 2012. I'm assuming that such a long period of time probably means something wrong with some equipment mold for this sized tire that produced randomly bad tires.

After more research of the coding on the tires, based on the Plant Code "B3", the bad tires were produced at the Nova Scotia, Canada plant. My tires have the code "B7" which means they were produced in Dothan Alabama.

Here's a link to the Michelin plant codes. MANUFACTURERS' INFORMATION DATABASE (MID) | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Just enter in the name of the tire brand and search. On the page which comes up, scroll down and you will get a listing of the code and plant associated.

While brand new tires would have been nice, but I'm not disappointed since mine were manufactured 2412 and I put them on about 6 weeks later so they are relatively new.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
All 5 of our EB tires are under recall. As noted, there are no Michelin replacements available to put on yet (back ordered). The tires "look" good, and have not been loosing air. I am holding off until Michelin has replacements, despite leaving on a cross country RV trip in 2 weeks.
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Michelin LTX M/S LT 225/75R16 tires are available. I bought a set along with Sendel wheels from Discount Tire, Melbourne, FL about two weeks ago. It took them one day to get them from their distribution center. The manufacture date was 0114 (1st week of January, 2014). Must be they aren't available where you live or recall replacements are being handled separately.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
As soon as I read about this recall on this forum in December, I pulled the trigger on my order at CostCo for the five new 16" Michelins as I knew there would be a "shortage" generated by this huge demand.

They are now installed on the new trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #85

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
It really looks like the shortages of the tires are either regional or local. I went by a NTB tire store in St. Louis and tires are in stock. I asked and they have not yet had anyone in for the recall. So for you in other locales you might want to try some other retail outlets and see if their stock shows the tires in supply.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Visited my local Discount Tire (San Marcos, TX). Of my 3 Michelin's (2 on the pavement + a spare), only one qualified for the recall. The other 2 had been made at a different plant. Here in Texas, we're on the recall list :-(
Old 03-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #87
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Visited my local Discount Tire (San Marcos, TX). Of my 3 Michelin's (2 on the pavement + a spare), only one qualified for the recall. The other 2 had been made at a different plant. Here in Texas, we're on the recall list :-(
Finally, they're going to recall Texas.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Ken - The recall (you refer to) is really a plot we in Texas have been formulating for years.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Ken - The recall (you refer to) is really a plot we in Texas have been formulating for years.
Oh.....

I figured they were going to replace Texas, with another New York, only bigger. we could call it New South York.

Ken
Old 03-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #90
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We're going to give Russia Texas if they'll give Crimea back to Ukraine. If they balk, we'll throw in Florida.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #91
4 Rivet Member

4 new xps ribs installed today. When I called the tire dealer they said the replacement tires are on national back order. Was offered a different brand as a replacement and declined. Asked dealer if I paid the difference could I upgrade to the xps. Dealer called Michelin and was authorized to swap 4 xps ribs no charge.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #92
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdair View Post
4 new xps ribs installed today. When I called the tire dealer they said the replacement tires are on national back order. Was offered a different brand as a replacement and declined. Asked dealer if I paid the difference could I upgrade to the xps. Dealer called Michelin and was authorized to swap 4 xps ribs no charge.
That sounds like a good deal.

Ken