Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Anyone hear of any Michelins disintegrating? This will be interesting....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There's only been like 20 reports....Michelin is being very proactive here.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
There's only been like 20 reports....Michelin is being very proactive here.
Yes, that is impressive compared to some of the train wrecks other tire companies are putting out and doing nothing about it.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Apparently their good name and reputation is worth more than 1.2 million tires X $125 (????) = $150,000,000-ish. What a novel concept.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
There's another thread on this same topic. Is there any way to merge these two threads?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1391930
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
read separation..LTX M/S 225/75/16
Glad I have the MS/2 225/75/16. I noted the other recall listed on the M/S 2 but they are 18 and 20 inch tires.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Glad I went with 15" Michelins.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post

Glad I have the MS/2 225/75/16. I noted the other recall listed on the M/S 2 but they are 18 and 20 inch tires.
Why? I might get brand new, zero mile, two year newer tires at no charge. That delays my next tire expenditure for two years. Have to go to the lot and check "born on" date.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
When you do get them replaced, be prepared to give them step by step instructions and watch them like a hawk.

I replaced the OEM 15" with the new balanced 16" myself, after last incident with my local tire house.

Pulled in to get a tread separation replaced (yeah, GYM).
Give the guy very specific instructions on how to jack trailer.
Get down on my hands and knees, and show him diamond point.
Confirm with him. He says "OK"

Go in to pay. Come back out. He's got a 4x4 block balanced on the top of his floor jack, under the C-channel between the tires, jacking away.
Just as I'm blowing a gasket, the 4x4 tilts right into the tank cover, putting a nice big dent in it.

Nothing their insurance didn't cover, but it's a hassle that could have been easily avoided by not taking my eyes off them for a second.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Questions....

Is the date code only stamped on the white letter side? I have my tires blackwall out and the snow was too deep to crawl under the AS. I couldn't find it on the blackwall side.

Does the DOT TIN lettering contain the plant code?

I don't think mine are involved. I Had "DOT B3JH DBVX" on mine and the bulletin says only "DOT B3JH AKEX are involved. I suspect the last four are the plant code???

Old 12-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
EDIT: I guess I should do my due diligence before posting...

First two letters are plant code - B3 = Bridgewater, Nova Scotia (the affected plant)

next 2 letters are Size code - JH = LT225/75R16 (the affected size)

Next 4 letters are optional (DOT) manufacturer codes. I couldn't find any chart specific to Michelin, but I SUSPECT they would identify, perhaps, a line and shift maybe...or a specific mold, or "plant traceability" identifier.

DOT only requires the date code on one side, so I guess it is on the whitewall side.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Good catch Boondockdad! These are indeed the model of tire that Airstream provided on our new Eddie Bauer model. The unit is still at the dealer until spring so I have asked them to follow up.
Thanks. I get the auto-email from US DOT NHTSA whenever there are recalls. Here's the link to sign up: Recall Notification by Email | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Quote:
US DOT NHTSA <donotreplyodi@dot.gov>
Dec 14 (2 days ago)

to me
You are receiving this message because you have requested to be notified if there is a safety recall regarding Tires from NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation.

Please click on the following NHTSA Campaign ID links to view the recall information.
NHTSA Campaign ID Number : 13T012
Synopsis : Michelin North America, Inc., (Michelin) is recalling certain Michelin LTX M/S tires, size LT225/75R16 115/112R LRE, manufactured from January 10, 2010, through June 23, 2012, and supplied for use as original equipment on certain Ford vehicles, and as replacement equipment on various brand commercial light trucks, full-sized heavy duty vans, small RVs and some large pickup trucks. These tires could experience tread separation. Tread separation can lead to rapid air loss, which may result in a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash. Michelin will notify owners and Michelin dealers will replace the tires free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on January 6, 2014. Owners may call Michelin Consumer Care Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST, or Saturday and Sunday from 8:30am to 4:30pm EST at the following numbers: USA: 1-800-231-5893 (language options: English and Spanish)
Thank you,

Recalls Subscription Team
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)

Please follow one of these links to update your profile or unsubscribe.
To file a vehicle safety-related complaint, please go online to our File a Complaint web page, or call us toll-free at 1-888-327-4236.

To find out more about NHTSA, please go to the Safercar.gov website or call our Vehicle Safety Hotline toll-free at 1-888-327-4236.

Our Privacy Policy can be found at this web page.

If you have questions regarding these e-mails, please go to the NHTSA Contact web page.

This is a system-generated e-mail. Do NOT respond to the sender of this e-mail.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
When you do get them replaced, be prepared to give them step by step instructions and watch them like a hawk.

I replaced the OEM 15" with the new balanced 16" myself, after last incident with my local tire house.

Pulled in to get a tread separation replaced (yeah, GYM).
Give the guy very specific instructions on how to jack trailer.
Get down on my hands and knees, and show him diamond point.
Confirm with him. He says "OK"

Go in to pay. Come back out. He's got a 4x4 block balanced on the top of his floor jack, under the C-channel between the tires, jacking away.
Just as I'm blowing a gasket, the 4x4 tilts right into the tank cover, putting a nice big dent in it.

Nothing their insurance didn't cover, but it's a hassle that could have been easily avoided by not taking my eyes off them for a second.
DDD,

Leave the block out, go to the front of the plate....it's the safest place to jack.

Bob
Old 12-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #34
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
EDIT: I guess I should do my due diligence before posting...

First two letters are plant code - B3 = Bridgewater, Nova Scotia (the affected plant)

next 2 letters are Size code - JH = LT225/75R16 (the affected size)

Next 4 letters are optional (DOT) manufacturer codes. I couldn't find any chart specific to Michelin, but I SUSPECT they would identify, perhaps, a line and shift maybe...or a specific mold, or "plant traceability" identifier.

DOT only requires the date code on one side, so I guess it is on the whitewall side.
Good job on the DOT coding, except:

The 4 digit optional manufacturer code would identify the tire as a Michelin LTX M/S and the particular version of that. It would NOT identify a production line or a shift or a mold. If the tire has a bar code, THAT would tell you those 3 bits of info - although the mold is usually stamped somewhere else on the sidewall in a code that you would need a decoder for.

Here, maybe this will help:

Barry's Tire Tech
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Good job on the DOT coding, except:

The 4 digit optional manufacturer code would identify the tire as a Michelin LTX M/S and the particular version of that. It would NOT identify a production line or a shift or a mold. If the tire has a bar code, THAT would tell you those 3 bits of info - although the mold is usually stamped somewhere else on the sidewall in a code that you would need a decoder for.

Here, maybe this will help:

Barry's Tire Tech

Thanks, Typical Govt redundancy.....I guess the fact that "Michelin LTX M/S" molded in right above the DOT code means nothing.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The date code is normally stamped on only one side of the tire, and the people mounting them usually don't (in my experience) make sure that side is facing out. So, you might have to remove the wheel or crawl underneath and be prepared to rotate it. Fun times.

The good news is that if it's completely random, the odds are pretty good that at least one of your tires will have the date code facing out, and it only goes up as you have more axles. I was bored so I worked out the probabilities: 0.75 for a single axle, 0.94 for a double axle, and 0.98 for a triple axle. Of course that relies on all of your tires having the same date code, too.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #37
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
. Of course that relies on all of your tires having the same date code, too.
There is no guarantee that the date codes are the same. They are a couple months apart on my tow vehicle, even though I bought the tires at the same time.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I guess my new Michelin tires are not involved in the latest recall as they are MS 2 - maybe my turn is still to come!

But in any case, I just checked my spare which happens to be still in the back of our truck. (seemed a shame to stick that nice shiny new alum. wheel under the trailer, and in any case, I think I would need to modify the rack under the trailer for it to fit.)

But what I did find is that my tires are blackwall both sides, and the DOT info is included on both sides of the tire, not just one.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Three of my four "shoes" qualify for replacement. When I purchased the tires ….shipped from JC with the new trailer in 2/11…they shipped a tire that was more than a year older than the other three???!!!
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
I have on the ground 1 1311 and 3 1411. Haven't checked the spare yet. Guess that puts me right in the middle of the recall. Date is on the outside on my tires.
Bought these from Airstream in May 2011.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote