2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
2 Air what do you run on your AS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
2001'...

i
ratings matter.

design, construction, sizing and so on matter.

intended purpose matters.

the real question 4 each of us is WHICH set of metrics matter most?

ST tires seem to be constructed more like the early radial tires

used by the big 3 (and benz) on their sloppy rolling cars from the 70s.

they are 'roundish' in profile, perhaps made with larger cords and with a few modern improvements.

the tread pattern and compounds are multipurpose and with HIGHER uv resistance.

tire technology has mushroomed in ALL tire types EXCEPT st tires...

it would be nice to see some meaningful innovation in the ST class,

but lacking that, folks try cross purpose uses from P or LT or bicycle tires for their streams...

some of these experiments work out, others don't.

IF one really wants to use and understand the ratings it can get complicated.

load range does NOT equal load index.

E X T E N D E D (prolonged) carrying of a given load is different than briefly carry the same load.

it great to experiment with tire options

but one really needs to understand what/why/how and WHEN it's appropriate.

or take the advice and guidance of experts...

the OTHER thread on this tire has user reports and expert reports...

that info CONFLICTs with the M' expert, probably for liablity reasons.

and it doesn't jive with the OEM stuff a/s dishes out.

cheers
2air'
Would you kindly tell us what you run?
Lin

WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #30
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
Would you kindly tell us what you run?
Lin
hi lin

plain vanilla ST tires...

at half a million miles.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ons-27999.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I can't disagree, but the major problem that I see with the "E" rated tire theory is, many of these folks get the "E" rated tires, and then run them at 65 lbs pressure because they don't want a harsher ride. My feeling is, and I think it is supported by the tire manufacturers is if you run a "E" tire at "D" max pressure, it will only carry what the "D" tire will carry, so you have gained nothing in "reserve". Simply stated, the "E" tire is only stronger than a "D" tire when run at the higher pressures it is rated for.
So all of us with double axle trailers running 225/75/15 wheels should not be running LRE tires???
8500lbs trailers shouldnt run LRE tires?
LRE tires are stronger than LRD from the day they are made at any pressure.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
So all of us with double axle trailers running 225/75/15 wheels should not be running LRE tires???
8500lbs trailers shouldnt run LRE tires?
LRE tires are stronger than LRD from the day they are made at any pressure.
RCarl,

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but you are wrong. An "E" rated tire at 65 lbs of air pressure will carry no more weight than a "D" rated tire at 65 pounds of air pressure. Check the tire manufacturers charts if you don't believe me.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
RCarl,

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but you are wrong. An "E" rated tire at 65 lbs of air pressure will carry no more weight than a "D" rated tire at 65 pounds of air pressure. Check the tire manufacturers charts if you don't believe me.
Of course not, there is 65 psi in both tires.
LRE is a slightly stronger tire and most here want more saftey factor, no matter how slight.
It would be harder for a gorrila to tear the tread off a LDE tire than a LRD one.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have a 25' 1988 Excella that has a gross weight of 6300 and actually weights 5800 or so on the axels. I put on the Michlen 235-15 load range C since I have steel wheels. The load rating of the tire is 1980 lbs at 50 psi. I have driven the trailer about 35000 or so miles in the 3 years the tires have been on it, including a trip across the Yukon and around the big loop in Alaska. Chicken, Eagle, Top of the World, Destruction bay. No flats, no blowouts, and they do not loose air. Far as I am concerned as long as you have enough weight carrying capacity it is the way to go.
Personally, I think in a severe overload situation like one blown tire on a side or something I would rather have the Michlen rated at 2000 than the GYM rated at 2500, because they probably lie about the testing and the ratings on them anyway.
The problem with going to a load range D in the Michlen is that they may not make them. I could not find any when I needed tires for my larger trailer, so I put on the GYM. One of them looses air.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Of course not, there is 65 psi in both tires.
LRE is a slightly stronger tire and most here want more saftey factor, no matter how slight.
It would be harder for a gorrila to tear the tread off a LDE tire than a LRD one.
Well, now I'll be sure and remember that the next time I need gorilla resistant tires...........
Old 12-06-2010, 06:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I have a 25' 1988 Excella that has a gross weight of 6300 and actually weights 5800 or so on the axels. I put on the Michlen 235-15 load range C since I have steel wheels. The load rating of the tire is 1980 lbs at 50 psi. I have driven the trailer about 35000 or so miles in the 3 years the tires have been on it, including a trip across the Yukon and around the big loop in Alaska. Chicken, Eagle, Top of the World, Destruction bay. No flats, no blowouts, and they do not loose air. Far as I am concerned as long as you have enough weight carrying capacity it is the way to go.
Personally, I think in a severe overload situation like one blown tire on a side or something I would rather have the Michlen rated at 2000 than the GYM rated at 2500, because they probably lie about the testing and the ratings on them anyway.
The problem with going to a load range D in the Michlen is that they may not make them. I could not find any when I needed tires for my larger trailer, so I put on the GYM. One of them looses air.
If Michelin started making ST tires there sure would be a demand for them as im sure they would be built to be reliable. I wonder why they dont build them. They would sell alot of them im sure. There will always be a market for cheap throw away stuff, from cheap tools from HF to junk generators built by children in china.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Replacement tires

Sagacious advice, 2air. Thank you. Helps explain why manufacturers only install tires that appear "marginal" in total weight/load carrying capacity. Subtracting the tongue weight certainly helps with reassurance on the GYM in addition to your personal positive experience. ( and others as well)

To obtain a larger degree of safety, "buffering", seemingly would require that one change to a LRE tire such as the Maxis 8008 and carry them at least 70 psi.

Questions: 1) How available are the Maxis tires while traveling? ( I know you carry two spares) 2) At what ranges of psi do the AS's begin to experience unnecessary "trauma", all other conditions being equal, ie roads etc; --e.g. over 70 psi? 3) The Maxis tires are not that much more expensive that the GYM's, so I wonder why AS doesn't just bite the bullet and install them in lieu of the GYM's to position themselves further "above the crowd"?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I felt pretty confident that I would not need new tires on my trailer for at least a couple of years. But,,,,,,,,,,Went with Carlisle LRE's today after I spotted what I think are broken cords in the sidewalls of my original set of LRD GYM's. The bubble of air had just started to form under the sidewall rubber. Since the Marathons were just manufactured in Feb. of this year I received free replacements. There were similar problems with all 4 tires.
I'm really happy and lucky, I removed the tires to rotate and spotted the protrusions in the sidewalls. I could not see the problem while the tires were on the trailer. I noticed it while in the middle of doing a tire rotation. Hopefully, the LRE's will hold up longer.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #39
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post

Questions: 1) How available...

2) At what ranges of psi...

3) ...I wonder why AS doesn't just bite the bullet and install them...
here are some simpleminded answers...

1) not very available and especially compared to gyms or many of the other generic branded ST tires.

IF replacement/warranty service is the issue, one can use a large national vendor who will ship 'em quickly.

2. there are several members here using the 8008 inflated to 80 psi without issues.

according to the prez of a/s, axles determine ride quality, not minor variations in tires/pressures...

if the axles are old/hard or in need of replacement, tires may be contributing a lot to suspension/ride...

in that regard higher tire pressures may be an issue.

folks use the inflation/load tables, or measure tread/contact patch, the inflation info in the a/s manual, or simply experiment.

while others use the cold inflation max printed on the sidewall and skip the fiddl'n.

search here using the M word (spelled with XX) and read the user reports/threads JUST on the 8008s ...

3. we can speculate about why a/s uses gyms (gy is an ohio company)

for most vehicle manufacturers a ready SUPPLY of any given part is critical.

imagine building units but not having tires available or having back order problems.

there are many highly regarded tires for cars n trucks that aren't oem.

while cost is part of that equation often its volume/availability or brand name recognition ...

toyo, yoko', dunlop, vredestein, nokian are all examples of companies that make outstanding p metric tires,

but don't have usa distribution/volume/production capacity to meet oem volume.

i don't accept the notion that the M brand st tires are better or have fewer issues on a % basis.

and they are a relatively recent player in the n/a trailer-rv tire game.

folks have reported failures/issue with them here, just not as frequently as gyms...

but there are millions of gyms in use (some 15+ years old) and just a tiny fraction of the M brand in use.

gym do come in E rated versions but only in 16s.

many of the other st tire makers offer Es in 15.

again i'm not advocating Es in place of Ds, just for the "extra capacity"...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The real problem is the 15" wheels. Move to 16" and there is a good selection of tires avaliable.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
We use the 235/75R x 15 LT Michelins on Airstreams all the time and we have for several years. They work extremely well with far better reliability, smoother ride, and more traction for stopping espessially in the wet. They fit fine in the wheel well.

As near as I can tell Travel Trailer Tire just means not good enough to use on a car.

Andrew T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
i don't accept the notion that the M brand st tires are better or have fewer issues on a % basis.

and they are a relatively recent player in the n/a trailer-rv tire game
R-ent thAy "£Ite trUk" tirez? (LT?) Thet game thyez played a LONG time.

I telyuh eye C lotz more M tires round here then gy, er anY uther brand.

dunno Y cuz they sher ain't cheep...

Sorry munday iz my ESL nite
Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #42
_

. , .
now yer spelling like the long mia canny banjo man

Airstream Forums - View Profile: canny_banjo_man

M=maXXis

zigi' was inQuire'n bout the m8ohoh8 specifically.

cheers
2air'