Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Michelin - no warranty on LT tire used on trailer

(this is Michelin's response to my RFI)

October 18, 2012

Hello,

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your prompt response.
I would appreciate further clarification to one of my original questions. Does Michelin warranty LT tires used for RV trailers?
The reason I am asking this question, I noticed Airstream uses Michelin light truck tires on at least one 2012 model of their trailers. I also looked on Airstream's website and saw that some of their models offered Michelin tires as an option as far back as the 1970's. I find that Airstream offers Michelin tires, as replacements for the original ST tires, at their factory service center.
I assume these tires are adequate to support the loads of these trailers or Airstream would not offer them. What is Michelin's official stance on warranty of a LT (light truck) tire when mounted on a RV trailer? I am considering doing this on my Airstream though I would be purchasing from a local dealer, not the Airstream service center.
Thank you in advance for your response!

If the RV came original equipment with a ST tire, we do not recommend replacing with a light truck tire as this would be considered a misapplication. There is no warranty for misapplication.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you for contacting Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
Old 10-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I guess I need to ask this - are you concerned about not having a warranty? They're going to take this approach as CYA.

Given that the overwhelming experience with using the tires on the trailers has been positive (including 10,000 miles on my Argosy), I'm not sure it would be a big factor in a decision.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I guess I would take them at their word.
"If the RV came original equipment with a ST tire, we do not recommend replacing with a light truck tire as this would be considered a misapplication."
Thanks for the info and follow up, Alan.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I assumed this from the "git go", and accepted it as a much lesser evil than seeing my wheel well and half the skin gone on the AS.

I can't say that I have ever needed to use a tire warranty in my life anyway....jinx.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not blame them. And I think my chances are a lot better with something other than ST tires no matter what the warranty.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Edit: erased what I said. "Kind of inflammatory", I thought as my finger hit the save key. Sorry.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I do not blame them. And I think my chances are a lot better with something other than ST tires no matter what the warranty.
I agree 100%. The only time I have ever collected on a tire manufacturers warranty was bogus anyway. The damage was my fault and they knew it. It was pittance, because it was a pro rated amount on a fairly old tire.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
(this is Michelin's response to my RFI)

October 18, 2012

Hello,

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
Thank you for your prompt response.
I would appreciate further clarification to one of my original questions. Does Michelin warranty LT tires used for RV trailers?
The reason I am asking this question, I noticed Airstream uses Michelin light truck tires on at least one 2012 model of their trailers. I also looked on Airstream's website and saw that some of their models offered Michelin tires as an option as far back as the 1970's. I find that Airstream offers Michelin tires, as replacements for the original ST tires, at their factory service center.
I assume these tires are adequate to support the loads of these trailers or Airstream would not offer them. What is Michelin's official stance on warranty of a LT (light truck) tire when mounted on a RV trailer? I am considering doing this on my Airstream though I would be purchasing from a local dealer, not the Airstream service center.
Thank you in advance for your response!

If the RV came original equipment with a ST tire, we do not recommend replacing with a light truck tire as this would be considered a misapplication. There is no warranty for misapplication.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you for contacting Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
Does this mean if it came original equipment with a Michelin LT (e.g. the Eddie Bauer) that Michelin gives a warranty?

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
That's interesting that Michelin takes that particular stance on it. Kumho has a tire ( the radial 857 ) that they specifically market ( on their worldwide site ) as both being applicable to trailer as well as light truck use. One would assume they would apply their warranty equally to trailer use or truck use. I suppose to be sure, a consumer would need to ask them what their official word is on the subject.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The only time I used a tire warranty was with a GYM and the coverage was very good. I worry less with my Michelins- that's worth a lot.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Don't worry about your Michelins....they will serve you well likely well beyond any warranty period! The worst thing I can say about 40 years of using Michelin tires is that they tend to get noisy when it's time for some new ones.

btw...we have been running the Michelin LT's on our 2004 30' Classic since 2007, when we had several dangerous failures on the low-mileage, OEM Goodyear Marathons, despite religiously checking them and caring for them during the off-season. If you are still running Marathons and they look fine, the clue is slight loss of air pressure.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Re: all of the above questions and comments (and any after this), I have no answers, nor strong opinion either way. I was just sharing the information.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Alan, I don't know if you noticed (you probably did) the answer you got from Michelin was a non answer. You specifically asked about warranty on an OEM application, and they blew a smoke screen about ST tires. That was not your question.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Michelin

My trailer came originally with Michelin XCA 700-15 truck tires on it. I have to wonder if this applies to me. Also that is what we carry insurance for. Also, since switching away from the ST tires my problems have gone away and so have many others who have followed suit.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote