Old 02-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #57
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
I just wanted to give an update on these Michelin tires. So far I've had them on for two and a half years and around 18,000 miles. I'm very happy to have these tires on my trailer. I'm sure they will need replacement by date before the tread wears to the TWI.
I run them at 43 PSI. Very happy with these tires so far.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
me too!

Me too Lance. I run them on my Airstreams. Even at 235 x 75 they fit my trailers....However, they would not fit my 66 Caravel. Word to the wise.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #59
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I just wanted to give an update on these Michelin tires. So far I've had them on for two and a half years and around 18,000 miles. I'm very happy to have these tires on my trailer. I'm sure they will need replacement by date before the tread wears to the TWI.
I run them at 43 PSI. Very happy with these tires so far.
In a PM, Top asked me to comment here on the fact that Extra Load tires are rated for maximum load carrying capacity at 41 psi – in spite of what may be written on the sidewall of the tire. In particular he wanted to know if it was true that using a higher pressure serves no useful purpose – and if there were any advantage to using a higher inflation pressure.

First, I am going to generalize the question this way: Every tire has a “Rating Point” – the point where the maximum load carrying capacity is obtained. For Standard Load (SL) Passenger Car tires, it is 35 psi (36 psi if the tire is a metric system based standard – notably European and Japanese standards).

This also applies to LT tires, which use 50 psi (Load Range C), 65 psi (Load Range D), and 80 psi (Load Range E).

Please note that for Passenger Car tires, it is common for the sidewall to state a maximum inflation pressure – and that is NOT (usually) the rating pressure. LT tires do not state a maximum inflation pressure on the sidewall.

OK, now that the stage is set, onto the question.

When tires are tested for durability, they would be tested based on the rated load - the maximum load carrying capacity as written on the sidewall of the tire (or something derived from that load) – AND – the rated inflation pressure (or something derived from that). By “durability” I am talking about the integrity of the tire itself, not the treadwear. This could be a load test or a speed test or a combination.

There are many different durability tests. Each test is designed to look at a particular aspect of durability. These tests are usually company specific and trade secrets.

As a general rule, increasing the inflation pressure helps the tire achieve better results. This is partially due to the reduced operating temperature and partially due to the reduced stress cycling. But there is a law of diminishing returns. Increasing the pressure 10 psi doesn’t give twice as much improvement as 5 psi.

But there is one aspect that is important here. Because increased inflation pressure reduces the operating temperature, it reduces the aging affects. This is particularly important for trailer tires which operate fairly close to their rating points for their entire life (unlike Passenger Car tires and Light Truck tires).

Other advantages? Fuel economy, hydroplaning resistance, snow traction (it helps you get down to the road surface.

But there is a downside to using a higher inflation: Reduced dry traction, reduced wet traction (as opposed to hydroplaning resistance), reduced snow traction if you are riding on top of the snow, poorer ride quality.

For trailers, I hope no one is towing when it snows. I also think that ride quality for a trailer is almost a moot point. So in the real world, there are advantages to using a higher inflation pressure, but there are disadvantages as well.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #60
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Thanks very much CapriRacer. Your expertise here is a great asset to this forum.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Okc , Oklahoma
Top:
In your view/experience the Michelin tires should be a satisfactory substitute for the 7:00x15@50psi?

For my SN for 85 Sovereign
**GVWR. 6,800 lbs.
DRY WEIGHT4900 lbs.
NCC900 (net carrying capacity)
HITCH WT.755lbs.
Length 25 '.
Axles: 3200 lbs.

Appreciate your experience and wisdom more than you know.
Lee
LeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #62
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Better than satisfactory

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeJ View Post
Top:
In your view/experience the Michelin tires should be a satisfactory substitute for the 7:00x15@50psi?

For my SN for 85 Sovereign
**GVWR. 6,800 lbs.
DRY WEIGHT4900 lbs.
NCC900 (net carrying capacity)
HITCH WT.755lbs.
Length 25 '.
Axles: 3200 lbs.

Appreciate your experience and wisdom more than you know.
Lee
Lee,
Thanks! I would say they are more than satisfactory.
There are many, many Airstreams with these tires on them.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #63
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Have a look at tires when having used some sharper angles to place it at campground or other parking. Tread has squirmed to one side or another. Impossible to avoid with a vehicle that cannot steer itself but has a long lever to move it around. That tire is being torn from the wheel. Highest allowable pressure keeps this to a minimum (as does a "highway rib, closed shoulder" read pattern). This is not so for the TV (where too high pressures aren't needed, and are counter-productive).

Yes, rattling trailer contents may take place. Yes, some reduction of braking traction may occur, mostly on wet surfaces (so get WD to transfer as much weight to TT axles as is reasonable AND test brake controller for best settng; most of all, discs with antl-lock "cure" this problem).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #64
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
5 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
This afternoon I went to Discount Tire and had four Michelin P235/75/15 Extra Load mounted on my old steel rims. I bolted them on this evening. They were not too bad to install at all. There are no problems with clearance. There is lots of room all around. Now we're ready to get out on the road in the Texas heat!
So, 5 years later I have about 25 thousand miles on these Michelin tires. No blowouts, bulges, slipped belts, tread separations, chunking, grinding, punctures, wallering, or any other tire failure.

Working well for me and my Ambassador.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #65
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
A new set of Michelins

I decided to replace the P235/75R15 XL Michelins with another set of Michelins. The updated Michelin Defender LTX M/S 235/75R15 XL. I'm not one to push tires until they "run out of luck"

I have the old Michelins for sale if any of you would like to upgrade from your ST tires

Tags
lt tires, michelin, tires