Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2014, 04:26 AM   #221
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I don't know that there's such a thing as "over examination" when considering how to travel safely. I'm very grateful for the thoughtful insights provided on this topic (and others) in this forum. It can feel tedious at times, but as a sophomore at trailering, I need all the insights I can get.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #222
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
thing do get blown out of proportion here a LOT.. like this tire thread.

talk about panorama.

oh well , have at it i am sure there more word to type about "tars"
I disagree with your perception of issues being blown out of proportion on the Air Forums. I think the discussions on the Air Forums are thoughtful, thought provoking, and balanced.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #223

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think the fact that Airstream has put the LT tires on the Eddie Bauer and now the '15 Classics says a lot about their perception of the market and the realities of the ST tire issues. My local dealer owner noted to me that there are concerns, I've talked to some of the Airstream reps who come down to the annual RV show and they recognize there are issues, and all you have to do is look at many large 5th wheel trailers and you are seeing LT tires on the axles. If you also look at some of the big RV forums and you will find threads that are discussing issues with ST tires.

This obviously isn't just an Airstream issue but is an issue for anyone who drives hot roads, higher speeds, and higher weight trailers.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #224
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
For the price increases this year, they jolly well could put the 16" LT Michelins on all their trailer models with 15" wheels.

This is supposed to be a standout from the crowd trailer, but they put cheap tires and ancient technology brakes on their trailers just like the cheap trailers.

Go figure!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #225
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
For the price increases this year, they jolly well could put the 16" LT Michelins on all their trailer models with 15" wheels.

This is supposed to be a standout from the crowd trailer, but they put cheap tires and ancient technology brakes on their trailers just like the cheap trailers.

Go figure!
They're not alone. (Digression notice).

I bought my Chevy 2500 HD truck and it was "loaded". And at the price I paid, it absolutely should have been. Except - no running boards/steps ($700) and no tow mirrors ($1500). This thing is advertised as a TOW vehicle - but no TOW mirrors. And - the original mirrors could be electronically folded in against the side of the truck (which comes in handy for tight spots) but the "upgraded" tow mirrors are not only an afterthought, they lose that electric folding functionality.

Yes, this is a first world problem, yes, it's a great towing vehicle, yes, I shouldn't whine. But how does the "top of the line" model pitched as a tow vehicle - costing an arm and a leg up front - have the gall to charge a 4% premium to include these items which should have been included from the beginning and have full functionality?

The more important question is - how did I let that slip without demanding they were included up front?

Oh well. :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #226
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
It has always been a mystery to me why GM does not include towing mirror on HD trucks with the towing package optiona. I have had three GM HD trucks with the towing package option and had to add towing mirrors to all three.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #227
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
The word greed comes to mind.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #228
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
It has always been a mystery to me why GM does not include towing mirror on HD trucks with the towing package optiona. I have had three GM HD trucks with the towing package option and had to add towing mirrors to all three.
(As long as we are digressing)I opted out of the GM towing mirrors because in a daily driver the tow mirrors make for a huge blind spot that I didn't need and instead use the Milenco add on mirror which gives perfect rear vision, no vibration, and still allows the folding function.
George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #229

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

Go figure!

Airstream's venture into disk brakes didn't seem to be too sucessful. Not quite sure what happened there.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #230
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
I have read they picked a poor design and had some recall issues that financially ruined the pump manufacturer. There are many new players in the trailer disc brake field now with many options.

Tuson makes the DirecLink NE brake controller (gets braking information from the OBDII port of my Dodge) that could be connected to their brake pump. If that is done, there is data transferred back to the cab display on the brake fluid level in the pump among other bits of displayable information. They also make a small add-on box that fastens to their pump that will, with the proper brake assemblies, enable ABS on the trailer.

When the BrakeRite II SD brake pump system I installed dies, I will replace it with the Tuson pump and probably their ABS system as well.

Technology is moving forward in the safety area.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #231
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I think the fact that Airstream has put the LT tires on the Eddie Bauer and now the '15 Classics says a lot about their perception of the market and the realities of the ST tire issues. My local dealer owner noted to me that there are concerns, I've talked to some of the Airstream reps who come down to the annual RV show and they recognize there are issues, and all you have to do is look at many large 5th wheel trailers and you are seeing LT tires on the axles. If you also look at some of the big RV forums and you will find threads that are discussing issues with ST tires.

This obviously isn't just an Airstream issue but is an issue for anyone who drives hot roads, higher speeds, and higher weight trailers.

Jack
this should be welcome news for all those that think the ST tires are the only way to go on a trailer.. guess the problems are great enough that some manf. are starting to see the light a lot of owners have seen a couple years ago. As andy t was saying they have been using LT tires for year with little to no problems vs the ST tires.. especially the GYM..

but lets keep picking this issue apart.. it make for good reading.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #232
1 Rivet Member

Query re 16" Wheels: I've read all the posts. Gonna make the jump. However, my on-line search shows no one is home at Sen Del. No mail or street address. Ask a question on the "Contact Us" page, and you get a return message from someone at a web site called TireCo in CA. Has anyone ever dealt with them. They are 2,000 mi. away so it's a little hard to check them out and say I want to do business with them. (Although the price is right). Are Sen Del T03's made in USA or is this just another name for an off-shore vendor manufacturer or its subsidiary?
oakwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #233
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakwood View Post
Query re 16" Wheels: I've read all the posts. Gonna make the jump. However, my on-line search shows no one is home at Sen Del. No mail or street address. Ask a question on the "Contact Us" page, and you get a return message from someone at a web site called TireCo in CA. Has anyone ever dealt with them. They are 2,000 mi. away so it's a little hard to check them out and say I want to do business with them. (Although the price is right). Are Sen Del T03's made in USA or is this just another name for an off-shore vendor manufacturer or its subsidiary?
I buy them for clients at Trailer Wheel & Tire Superstore. We offer trailer rims, trailer tires with Free Shipping over $50. & haven't had any problems at all. Their website works well, have free shipping, they send shipping updates & they arrive on time & packaged well. I'm not sure where they are made, but my guess is China, however their load rating is 3580, which is significantly higher than steel trailer wheels have.
Good luck,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #234
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Hi Spec Wheels

HiSpec Wheel & Tire, Inc. - The Safety Wheel

Folks for your consideration as another wheel supplier, Hi Spec Wheels.

From another forum member Bruce B and his post about them, I bought these for my 30' S/O this year. So far zero issues.

One thing that worked really well was being able to bundle the job, wheels, tires and TPMS all from one supplier, Discount Tire. I did the install on the AS. The nice thing is the single source for the package, no finger pointing or shoulder shrugging.

My adventure http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ms-116734.html

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #235
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Ordered five T03-66655T SenDel wheels from a local Discount Tire dealer for $610.48 which included sales tax and $10 freight charge per wheel. Kept one wheel in storage, just in case.

Also ordered the SenDel galvanized steel wheel S62-66655TG for the spare for $64.83 delivered.