Old 06-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #211

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Michelin LTX 235/75R15 XL Upgrade?

Changing a tire on the Interstate is scarey. I saw a guy get hit when changing his on the shoulder of the road. The guy who hit him wandered over the road edge side stripe. The pop up camper exploded from the force of the impact and of course killed the guy changing the tire. Luckily the guy had his wife and kids stand away from the camper in a safe area. I know on resurfaced highways, Missouri is putting rumble depressions right on the stripe now.

I had a blow out driving to work with my wife's car during rush hour. I was in the right hand lane and got to the shoulder. I could have changed the tire but called AAA. The guy came with flashers and cones and parked his truck with the front end sticking out into the lane, like most police do today. Blow out was drivers side so it isn't a real safe change even though he had lights, cones, and lane blockage techniques. All my failures on the Airstream have been in my drive so I have experience there. But on the road I have towing,tire change service through my trailer insurance carrier (Progressive). I'll call them if I'm on any road shoulder.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:15 AM   #212
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Even on the passenger side - no way I'm risking my life to change a tire on a highway. Too many idiots texting while driving. Only takes a second while typing "lol" to get off track and hit you. Just not worth the risk on my opinion.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #213
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Land Yacht
Oakton , Virginia
Jumping in late with a recommendation to carry at least one neon green/yellow safety vest and one flashlight with a long red extension for directing traffic. They are on ebay and Amazon.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 06-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #214
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
Have returned from a three week trip to the Northern California gold coast and have just purchased a set for our Excella this past Friday the 14th, Had Marathons that reached their end of life period of five years with no problems. Discount tire had a total of eight in stock here locally, In discussions with the store manager via telephone with the Las Vegas Michelin distributor it was passed along that they are currently in back order status due to high sales volumes. Excellent tires so far and very pleased on how they ride. We are off again to Colorado, Wyoming and Montana and looking forward to how they will ride during the trip.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #215
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The Marathons and maybe other ST tires suffer from tread separation and I would assume that the tread ruptures at some point and then the pressure is lost. I do agree that most car tires fail from poor maintenance or a nail that goes un noticed and leads to pressure loss. I think that many of the ST failures that happen here are a result of the tire actually failing. I see people driving around with 10 psi or less in their tires and I know that they are in for a flat. If you try to get their attention you usually get dirty looks. I have personally never had a tire blow out. I have had flats and found potential flats before they blew out from low pressure. If you come out of a store and you see your trailer or car leaning to one side, don't get in and drive it.

Perry
Perry, You are correct a Run Low Flex and a Tread or Belt Separation are two different types of failure. Each leaves different evidence and has different causes but to the average driver, any failure seems to be almost "magic" as few can envision that damage done more than a couple of miles earlier could translate into a catastrophic failure now.

It is easier to simply claim the tire was "defective" and blame the tire company but I have never seen a lawyer correctly identify the actual "defect" on any tire failure of their web pages when they talk about tire failures.
Owners seem to believe that if they have previously checked their air, that morning or last week, it is somehow impossible for thee to be a failure due to air loss. I am even aware of the possibility of a damaged valve core or even a bit of dirt to prevent the valve from completely closing (did a post on that showing evidence) so even the act of checking your air could be the reason for a slow leak

Please don't use this extreme example as an excuse to not check your air

When I was presented with a failed tire it sometime took less than a minute to find the "proof" of run low while other times it took hours of examination plus laboratory chemical analysis and even the use of Electron Microscope to find the evidence yet even given almost unlimited time and resources there were still a small % of cases when I could not find the evidence. Yes I did occasionally did find a defect and that was reported as such. Sometimes the defect was a one off human error and other times a batch of tires (149 in one case) that resulted in a small recall based on the evidence I presented.

I carry a small sign in my car "LOW AIR IN TIRE" and when commuting I would display it a few times a week. Sometimes there was a wave from the driver but out of hundreds such cases only once did I observe a driver pull over to inspect their tires. One case appeared dangerous i.e. probably less than 5 psi in the tire and I waved the driver over. What I got for my efforts was cussed out so I stopped making that level of effort.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #216
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Changing a tire on the Interstate is scarey. I saw a guy get hit when changing his on the shoulder of the road. The guy who hit him wandered over the road edge side stripe. The pop up camper exploded from the force of the impact and of course killed the guy changing the tire. Luckily the guy had his wife and kids stand away from the camper in a safe area. I know on resurfaced highways, Missouri is putting rumble depressions right on the stripe now.

I had a blow out driving to work with my wife's car during rush hour. I was in the right hand lane and got to the shoulder. I could have changed the tire but called AAA. The guy came with flashers and cones and parked his truck with the front end sticking out into the lane, like most police do today. Blow out was drivers side so it isn't a real safe change even though he had lights, cones, and lane blockage techniques. All my failures on the Airstream have been in my drive so I have experience there. But on the road I have towing,tire change service through my trailer insurance carrier (Progressive). I'll call them if I'm on any road shoulder.

Jack
One thing I mentioned when I taught driving and vehicle control to either aspiring race car drivers or police, was to look where you intend to drive. Too often when people see a car parked on the side of the road they look at it and unconsciously drive toward it.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #217
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Good idea to look where you intend to drive.

Consider a Tire Pressure Monitoring System - we have one for our TT and another for the TV came built-in. If we get a report of low pressure while driving, we'll pull off ASAP and look things over very carefully. We're hopeful that stopping before a low-pressure tire can tear itself apart will reduce the chances of damage to our TT. If the tire fails catastrophically, we will also know that very quickly as the TPMS will report a sudden drop from 65 PSI to zero.

Meanwhile, when it's time to replace our stock GYMs we'll certainly consider this tire for our 2014 27FB.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #218
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
My TST TPMS says it sends numbers (temp, pressure) every 5 minutes but with fast leaks it will immediately alarm. It sure did when the tire shop dismounted them this weekend! Made me feel good the system works as advertised.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #219
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Remember to put the valve cap back on. It it there to prevent air leaks if the core fails. The plastic ones are pretty useless though. At least they keep the dirt out.

Perry
Old 06-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #220
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

I did ask the guy (Mike) if he was familiar with this forum. He is. He did say that sometimes, some things get blown a bit out of proportion here :-) but we talked about the tires and my clearance light issue and while the Classic castings are on bak order, he started the process to get everything to my dealer to replace all the castings and however many lights are leaking.

Good day all the way around!!
this guy Mike is quite receptive.. thing do get blown out of proportion here a LOT.. like this tire thread. glad Andy Thompson can to the rescue about the over examination of the tire ratings and derating of tires, etc..

talk about panorama.

oh well , have at it i am sure there more word to type about "tars"
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:26 AM   #221
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I don't know that there's such a thing as "over examination" when considering how to travel safely. I'm very grateful for the thoughtful insights provided on this topic (and others) in this forum. It can feel tedious at times, but as a sophomore at trailering, I need all the insights I can get.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #222
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
thing do get blown out of proportion here a LOT.. like this tire thread.

talk about panorama.

oh well , have at it i am sure there more word to type about "tars"
I disagree with your perception of issues being blown out of proportion on the Air Forums. I think the discussions on the Air Forums are thoughtful, thought provoking, and balanced.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #223

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think the fact that Airstream has put the LT tires on the Eddie Bauer and now the '15 Classics says a lot about their perception of the market and the realities of the ST tire issues. My local dealer owner noted to me that there are concerns, I've talked to some of the Airstream reps who come down to the annual RV show and they recognize there are issues, and all you have to do is look at many large 5th wheel trailers and you are seeing LT tires on the axles. If you also look at some of the big RV forums and you will find threads that are discussing issues with ST tires.

This obviously isn't just an Airstream issue but is an issue for anyone who drives hot roads, higher speeds, and higher weight trailers.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #224
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
For the price increases this year, they jolly well could put the 16" LT Michelins on all their trailer models with 15" wheels.

This is supposed to be a standout from the crowd trailer, but they put cheap tires and ancient technology brakes on their trailers just like the cheap trailers.

Go figure!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote