Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I had my Michelins installed at Town Fair Tire. I called in advance, explained what I was doing in switching out the GYMs for the Michelins (15", not the 16" wheel upgrade) and had them install the TST internal TPMS units in each tire. I purchased them there, they removed the GYMs, fit the TPMS units (including an upsized O-ring to work with the wheels on the trailer), installed the tires, submitted the paperwork for my rebate and I was on my way. I was not able to get the warranty due to the trailer application but no problem having everything done there. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #156
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Mine were made in Thailand. The person that mentioned China was incorrect.

A handy List

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 01-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #157
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Scratching my head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Based on my conversations with 2 local costcos, I don't think they want to bother with trailers.

Bring in a trailer, no good.

Bring in 4 rims and have tires put on, all good except they will not rotate based on miles (likely no big deal) and will not warranty.
I've never been to a Costco so I have no experience with them. There are tire dealers that have no issue with trailers. Discount Tire is one of them. When a retailer tells me they can't, don't or won't, I move on down the road. I prefer to use the local tire shop in town because Mike is a good, honest man. I prefer to buy local from the Mom and Pop kind of places.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #158
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I've never been to a Costco so I have no experience with them. There are tire dealers that have no issue with trailers. Discount Tire is one of them. When a retailer tells me they can't, don't or won't, I move on down the road. I prefer to use the local tire shop in town because Mike is a good, honest man. I prefer to buy local from the Mom and Pop kind of places.
I like local too. Except in this case it could be good to have a "costco every 100 miles" in the event you needed something related to the installation while travelling.

For example, im pretty sure they will prorate the cost of a new tire based on tread depth if you pick up a nail.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #159
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
If you take your rims in without tires and tell the store they are off a 1999 Suburban with 2wd then they will be happy as the rim and P235/75R x 15XL was the spec tire.

99 Suburban's had a 4000 pound rear axle capacity but were regularly loaded heavier than that.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Old 01-24-2016, 02:34 PM   #160
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
I've been following this & other threads on the 15" Defender debate. Personal conclusions: the new 109T remains untested as of yet, until it hits the market in March & we have this conversation a year from now I'm going to remain skeptical mainly because if it's continuing C rating.
I'm for now returning to my original choice, the Maxxis 225/75R 15 ST tire for further consideration, it E rated & gets very good reviews with a very few exceptions.

If you are talking about the 235/75R15 109T XL it is an Extra Load passenger tire not an LT or commercial tire.
Passenger tires are rated "Standard Load" no marking or XL for extra load. sometimes the words "extra load are on the sidewall"

LT type tires would be marked Load Range C or D or E etc. Is's important not to confuse the different type tires

You may want to review THIS post.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #161
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Nice list but not always 100 accurate as it is possible for a tire company to have a brand move from manufacturing plant to another. A little more difficult to follow but if you look at the first two characters of the DOT serial you can learn HERE the actual plant that made the specific tire.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #162
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
I've been following this & other threads on the 15" Defender debate. Personal conclusions: the new 109T remains untested as of yet, until it hits the market in March & we have this conversation a year from now I'm going to remain skeptical mainly because if it's continuing C rating.
I'm for now returning to my original choice, the Maxxis 225/75R 15 ST tire for further consideration, it E rated & gets very good reviews with a very few exceptions.
Hey Joe. This Maxxis tire is the one I have on my rig. Made in Thailand, for those reading along. They are about 7 years old and it's time to replace them. I actually went out and looked at the manufacture date on the tires and was surprised I had aged that many years recently. Time gets away from you, doesn't it? Just for the record, have had zero problems with these tires, but according to common wisdom here on the forums, it's time to replace them (not arguing that point, just making the observation). And just for the record, we tow probably less that 2000 miles per year, as I'm not retired (yet) and ready for the "great out west tour". So being overly generous, we have maybe 15k miles on these. Maybe?

So to get to the point, I'm going to try a set of the Mich's on my trailer this spring. My personal feeling is that the Mich's are the best tires I've ever put on any vehicle. I'm an old guy and have used them before on cars/trucks/minivans we've owned. Great service with this company's tires. This is not based on science, just my personal experience (opinion, in other words).

Many thanks to Tireman and Capri for their input in this thread. It's truly nice to have professionals contribute to the conversation.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 01-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #163
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Woodland , California
15" Michelin cold inflation pressure?

I was due for GYM replacement and decided to go with the current Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75R15XL 108T tires. Pulled the 5 tires/wheels off the AS and brought them down to my local Costco for mounting and balancing and the current (January 2016) $70 rebate. The tire tech thought this was a great move, but his manager not so much. Told me that since I was replacing GYM ST tires which had a higher load rating (D) than the Michelin, he wouldn't extend Michelin's warranty or free rotation. Based on the history of so many forum users of this tire, my AS CAT Scale weights, and my own personal Michelin experience, I wasn't worried about warranty claims. I did make sure the tire serial numbers were registered with Michelin.

I had to modify my spare tire carrier to fit the 15" Michelins. I took a large combination wrench and used the box end to bend out the side support rods about a 1/4" but I still couldn't raise the carrier into position due to the Michelins wider diameter. I unbolted the carrier from the AS crossmember and re- drilled the 1/2" mounting holes about 3/8" higher on the carrier brackets and remounted the carrier. That did the trick and it was easy to raise the spare tire carrier into position and secure it.

Now to my question. Michelin states on the sidewall that these tires are rated at 50PSI Maximum Inflation Pressure. Andrew at CanAm and others say to run at 44PSI. Tireman9 (The Man) has convinced me to run the maximum sidewall pressure on my ST tires to minimize internal stress on the tires on the tires during tight turns with a double axle trailer like my 25FB AS. Tireman9 mentioned earlier in this thread that he was going to check with his Michelin contact to see why Michelin load charts state that the maximum load (derated to 1,985 pounds) is achieved at 41PSI but the tire is rated at 50PSI max. I'm starting my new Michelins off at 50PSI. Any thoughts?
Old 01-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #164
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
I will be buying tires in the spring.
Is it my understanding that trailer tires are not used but instead I should get a light truck tire? Seems a few years ago on this forum it was the trailer tires that were used and not automobile tires.
Some one please enlighten me.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
After a couple migraines from this thread, like I stated earlier I'm going with Maxxis 225/75 15R E rated ST tires. Michelin are without a doubt excellent tires & the 15" application will probably do well but yet to be proven unlike the 16" application which are available in LT E rated tires. Maybe Michelins next time when they have a real track record.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Old 01-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #166

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Happy with my Maxxis after 20k miles!

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
Old 01-25-2016, 03:06 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Andy at CanAm suggested I run 44 psi in the 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires on the 2013 25FB. I use 44 psi now on our 2015 23D (which has a 1,300 pound lower GVW than the 25FB) with the same sized 15" Michelin tires .

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 01-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #168
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Just an FYI:

I was dealing with a local Discount Tire store when I needed to replace tires on my trailer. They insisted that trailers needed ST tires and refused to sell me P type tires for my trailer. This in spite of the fact that they knew my background and I pointed out that I could show them notes in the Tire and Rim Yearbook where TRA says it is permissible.

HOWEVER, when I brought them new tires I bought from Tire Rack and mounted tires on wheels, they did the exchange without asking questions.