Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1999 19' Bambi
Cape Canaveral , Florida
Thanks! I'll just have to watch it and drive under 118mph ! Reading These threads, it seems that Airstreamers have had good luck with Michelin. I will probably go with that.

Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Trailer tire manufactures play games with ratings. They take a cheaply made tire and lower the speed ratings so they can jack up the load ratings and the pressures. Now you have a crappy tire that is overloaded. Maybe this is why when they explode they do a lot of damage. The 235 tire is wider so it handles more load with less pressure. It is also passenger rated with a much larger safety factor and speed rating than trailer tires. Compare the weights of similar tires. The heavier tire is the one that is made better with stronger plies.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Sarasota , Florida
I did make the switch to 16" wheels and tires. Michelin LTX M/S 225/7516E (05 Classic, 31 D) When I got home last fall from a 22,000 mile trip, I parked the trailer in the storage yard, and did nothing to the tires until I brought it home for cleaning and outfitting for this seasons trip. Unlike the previous Marathon Radials which always needed air, the Michelins did not loose any air pressure over the last 5 months.
artwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Take the wheel position axle average and add 15%.

2,150-lbs per tire GVWR, would be about 2400-2500 lbs.

The only accurate way is to weigh the TT, wheel-by-wheel, loaded for travel, full up. As any one of four on a tandem axle trailer is likely to carry more than the others the heaviest wheel position is the one to work from.

But you won't know what it is, or how far off it is from the others without 10 minutes of work.

Stick with commercial LT tires, etc, etc

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Tom..I installed the Michelin LTX M/S2 235/75R/15 tires on my 31ft. Classic following a blowout on the original GM tire which did $7k worth of damage last November. I have been very happy with the tires. We probably have about 2,000 miles on them so far. I considered going to the 16 inch but just didn't have the time to determine exactly what I wanted in rims. I have never had a Michelin tire fail on me and I put them on all of my vehicles. The load range of the tires do cover my trailer but not with a lot of cushion. We pretty much only load clothing when we leave and pick up rest of the heavy items once we get to where we are going. You should have no problem at all with your weight. Hope this helps...Steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Bought the 15" Michelin's a few days ago. A few days before that I installed new axles as well. I should be good to go for a long time. I appreciate everybody's opinions. It certainly helps when making a decision such as this.
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." -- Frank Zappa
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
When it comes to figuring out the size tire you need; how much weight it carries remember that there are occasions when one of the tires on one side carries all the load. So you should have a margin figured in.
I have run Marathons for seven seasons now and had no issues. Properly inflated they do not run hot.
Al and Jean

BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Al...consider yourself very lucky. Our Marathons were always checked prior to travelling and inflated to the proper pressure. My left tire came apart on a nice Nov. day with a very light trailer load and the cruise set on 60 while running on some smooth road. We were less than 50 miles into our trip. It peeled off like a retread. But before it turned loose it did a lot of damage to our trailer. I turned the tire in to the local GY dealer and filed a claim. Appears GY found a fault in the tire because they paid for all of my trailer repairs. My dad has a 90 Excella which did the same thing with a GY tire. He was lucky in that he was just starting to enter a roadway and was only moving about 40 mph. His tire failed the same as mine but only minor damage to his trailer. Goodyear provided him with five new tires at their expense. I may go back to GY someday but it will not happen anytime soon after what we have just been through....steve

Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote