Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Michelin 235-75-15 LT Tire Availability???

I've recently been researching tires for my 1992 25' Excella (6800 lbs GVW). I've read tons of posts and it seems like many are recommending a Michelin light truck tire in a 235-75-15. My problem is this. According to our local Michelin dealers, Michelin doesn't make a light truck tire in that size. I've been told they make an XL tire called an LTX M/S2 XL 108T in this size, but that this tire is a P-rated passenger car tire, not an LT tire, even though the name of the tire model coincidentally contains the letters LT. According to my local dealers, this tire has a carrying capacity of 1985 pounds. If anyone knows of a Michelin LT tire in this size with more carrying capacity than 1985 pounds, please let me know. Hopefully, some of you can help me become less confused.

Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.

Doug C.
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Doug,
Here are the specs for the Michelin LTX M/S2. They are rated at 2,183 pounds at 50 psi. The old Michelin LTX M/S LT235/75/15 load range C are no longer in production. They may still be in some tire warehouses. How old they are is anyone's guess. My local tire guy told me last week that he could get four for me.
The LTX M/S2 P235/75/15 XL is the new version of the older LTX M/S LT235/75/15. You would have to call Michelin and ask them the differences.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Anyone know the performance difference between a 235 75 15 and a 235 70 16.
There are many posts about people going with the 16" Why spend the extra cash for new wheels. The 15's are the same diameter 235 mm the 16's are a little wider with a slightly shorter sidewall
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is a rating game. What you want is the XL tire with the 108T load rating not the 105T rating. P or LT let the numbers speak for themselves. I am running BF Goodrich TA long Trail 235/75-15XL. I have had no problems.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
I've recently been researching tires for my 1992 25' Excella (6800 lbs GVW). I've read tons of posts and it seems like many are recommending a Michelin light truck tire in a 235-75-15. My problem is this. According to our local Michelin dealers, Michelin doesn't make a light truck tire in that size. I've been told they make an XL tire called an LTX M/S2 XL 108T in this size, but that this tire is a P-rated passenger car tire, not an LT tire, even though the name of the tire model coincidentally contains the letters LT. According to my local dealers, this tire has a carrying capacity of 1985 pounds. If anyone knows of a Michelin LT tire in this size with more carrying capacity than 1985 pounds, please let me know. Hopefully, some of you can help me become less confused.

Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.

Doug C.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When many of us went to 16" Michelins there were no properly sized Michelins in 15" in Load Range D or E.

This new tire system of Passenger tires with 3 subclasses, the XL being one of them, has everyone confused. They started putting P tires on light trucks and SUV's several years ago and that caused confusion too.

Are the XL P tires the same as the LT tires? I haven't figured this out yet.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think most are running the 235/75-16 in an E rating. This is going to give you a max of 2680lb per tire. I think this is overkill unless you have one of the newer trailers that tops out at over 8000lbs. If you are less than 8000lbs you should be good with the 15's.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
There are many posts about people going with the 16" Why spend the extra cash for new wheels. The 15's are the same diameter 235 mm the 16's are a little wider with a slightly shorter sidewall
Old 08-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114
I think most are running the 235/75-16 in an E rating. This is going to give you a max of 2680lb per tire. I think this is overkill unless you have one of the newer trailers that tops out at over 8000lbs. If you are less than 8000lbs you should be good with the 15's.

Perry
Well that's me over 8000 lbs. and confused. The dealer tells me to go with the LTX 15" passenger car type they say the 16" true light truck tire will be too harsh.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Well that's me over 8000 lbs. and confused. The dealer tells me to go with the LTX 15" passenger car type they say the 16" true light truck tire will be too harsh.
I went from a C rated tire on my SUV to an E rated tire. I run them at 45 psi and can't tell the ride difference. I plan on running my E rated Michelins on the AS at 65-70 psi. I will note tire temp with my tire monitoring system to make sure they run same as my old Carlisle D rated tires did at 60 psi..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Ocala , Florida
I looked at going from Marathon's to Michelin's. I could not go 16" tires due to opening allowances in the wheel wells. The 15" LT version is the one I went to after gathering info with Michelin's site and techs. Do make sure that you spec the LT version as a non LT version also exits will lighter load capacity. I also was dealing with a GVWR of just under 8000lbs. With the LT the four capacity gives 7960lbs. Besides Michelin tires have treated me well for decades on my cars and SUV's.
hope-dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Actually 235 is the width in mm, the 15 and 16 you describe are the same width. The 16 does have a shorter sidewall, as you say, described by the lower section ratio (70 vs 75 for the 15).

Top is running the 15s on his Ambassador and has thousands of trouble-free miles on them so far. Based on that and the experience of others with them, I just replaced the old load-range C Carlisles on my Argosy with a set of the Michelins. Any 3 of them will carry about 120% of my max gross rating for the Argosy, so that aspect isn't a concern.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The E tires will be stiffer but you don't have to run them at 80psi. You might also find some in a D rating. You need to figure your tongue weight also. The tires only carry the total minus the tongue weight so you still maybe under 8000lbs. Get actual weights not the max GVW.

Perry

Quote:
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Rivet trailer tires versus truck tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
I've recently been researching tires for my 1992 25' Excella (6800 lbs GVW). I've read tons of posts and it seems like many are recommending a Michelin light truck tire in a 235-75-15.
Doug C.
Trailer tires are designed to be dragged sideways (tight turns) and sit for long periods of time, where as truck tires are not, (except for tractor trailer tires, hmmm an Airstream with 22's, nah would look funny ). Of course some folks substitute a small car battery as their house battery, same idea no workey. I know I'll get all kinds of I did it and they work fine but when you spend $800 a year to insure your truck why not drop $800 for the right tires installed that will go 5 years and keep you from careening off a mountain?
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Take a look at the link to determine % difference
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Trailer tires are designed to be dragged sideways (tight turns) and sit for long periods of time
Thats why they blow out all the time. Trailer tires and substandard tires. Thats why the say "trailer use only" on them. They are not built well enough to go on a truck or car..

Why would I won't something that isn't going to stand up to being driven on my SUV to go on my trailer...??

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114
It is a rating game. What you want is the XL tire with the 108T load rating not the 105T rating. P or LT let the numbers speak for themselves. I am running BF Goodrich TA long Trail 235/75-15XL. I have had no problems.

Perry
I'm running the same as Perry. No Problems. 27FB 7500 lbs (actually about 6K according to the scales.)

Brad

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Can all AS wheels handle 80 psi or even close to that? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
tire tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Thats why they blow out all the time. Trailer tires and substandard tires. Thats why the say "trailer use only" on them. They are not built well enough to go on a truck or car..

Why would I won't something that isn't going to stand up to being driven on my SUV to go on my trailer...??
So you want 22" tires on your SUV and Aisrtream ???
Would give more ground clearance and you can recut them for extended use. Tires normally blow because of being run on low pressure, not because they are substandard. Cars trucks vans have blowouts all the time. The only reason for using LT tires is they are cheaper to get, but scary on a trailer .
Old 08-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
air pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Can all AS wheels handle 80 psi or even close to that? Jim

Some flex is necessary on tires, or we'd be running solid wheels like on a shopping cart.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
ST versus LT tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post

From a popular tire company

"Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.

Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway."

I believe if they make both they usually know what they are doing barring human error.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
From a popular tire company

"Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.

Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway."

I believe if they make both they usually know what they are doing barring human error.
And they want to sell tires don't they. and we are talking AS not box TT. Look if you want to use ST tires thats ok by me. I use them on my flat bed trailers,

BUT Read all the many many threads here about ST tire blow outs. And I'm sure they all had proper PSI at the time, most are not due to low psi as you surgest, and I'm sure those that had the blow outs will tell you that.

Then Search for LT tire blow outs. , I don't see any!! Wonder why???

Until ST tires are made to the same standard as passenger tires I will never buy one again for my AS, even though I had no problems with my ST tires for 7 years. I just don't want to take the risk. I have 4 kids with me, and I love them to much. Just me...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT