Old 08-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114
It is a rating game. What you want is the XL tire with the 108T load rating not the 105T rating. P or LT let the numbers speak for themselves. I am running BF Goodrich TA long Trail 235/75-15XL. I have had no problems.

Perry
I'm running the same as Perry. No Problems. 27FB 7500 lbs (actually about 6K according to the scales.)

Brad

Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Can all AS wheels handle 80 psi or even close to that? Jim

Old 08-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
tire tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Thats why they blow out all the time. Trailer tires and substandard tires. Thats why the say "trailer use only" on them. They are not built well enough to go on a truck or car..

Why would I won't something that isn't going to stand up to being driven on my SUV to go on my trailer...??
So you want 22" tires on your SUV and Aisrtream ???
Would give more ground clearance and you can recut them for extended use. Tires normally blow because of being run on low pressure, not because they are substandard. Cars trucks vans have blowouts all the time. The only reason for using LT tires is they are cheaper to get, but scary on a trailer .
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
air pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Can all AS wheels handle 80 psi or even close to that? Jim

Some flex is necessary on tires, or we'd be running solid wheels like on a shopping cart.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
ST versus LT tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Thats why they blow out all the time. Trailer tires and substandard tires. Thats why the say "trailer use only" on them. They are not built well enough to go on a truck or car..

Why would I won't something that isn't going to stand up to being driven on my SUV to go on my trailer...??
From a popular tire company

"Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.

Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway."

I believe if they make both they usually know what they are doing barring human error.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
From a popular tire company

"Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.

Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway."

I believe if they make both they usually know what they are doing barring human error.
And they want to sell tires don't they. and we are talking AS not box TT. Look if you want to use ST tires thats ok by me. I use them on my flat bed trailers,

BUT Read all the many many threads here about ST tire blow outs. And I'm sure they all had proper PSI at the time, most are not due to low psi as you surgest, and I'm sure those that had the blow outs will tell you that.

Then Search for LT tire blow outs. , I don't see any!! Wonder why???

Until ST tires are made to the same standard as passenger tires I will never buy one again for my AS, even though I had no problems with my ST tires for 7 years. I just don't want to take the risk. I have 4 kids with me, and I love them to much. Just me...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well the things that make ST tires good for most trailers make them bad for Airstreams. Airstreams have a low center of gravity and also have a structural need for a softer ride. Car radials are going to to provide good traction and a smooth ride. 80psi in any tire, especially a bias ply tire is going to shake an Airstream to pieces. Axels will only absorb low frequency stuff like bumps and cracks in the road dips etc. Tires are going to absorb the high frequency stuff like when you go over wash board speed bumps. A stiff tire = bad ride and no traction because of less contact patch.

Perry
Old 08-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
The only reason for using LT tires is they are cheaper to get, but scary on a trailer .
Guess you haven't priced them have you

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Tires are going through the roof. I just spent $1000 on tires for my Excursion.

Perry
Old 08-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
"Are the XL P tires the same as the LT tires?" NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
When many of us went to 16" Michelins there were no properly sized Michelins in 15" in Load Range D or E.

This new tire system of Passenger tires with 3 subclasses, the XL being one of them, has everyone confused. They started putting P tires on light trucks and SUV's several years ago and that caused confusion too.

Are the XL P tires the same as the LT tires? I haven't figured this out yet.

Gene
Hi Gene,

I just completed this research and in answer to your question, NO, the XL P tires are NOT the same as the LT tires. The XL P tires are Passenger tires (that is what the "P" stands for) and NOT appropriate for trailer use.

After doing some research and driving to a dealer lot, I was able to determine the exact tires that Airstream is using on the Eddie Bauer models (both 25FB and 27FB). And I can assure you they are NOT XL P model tires!

Hope this helps you!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Tires are going through the roof. I just spent $1000 on tires for my Excursion.

Perry
YEP, just spent over a $1000 on our Sequoia a month ago, (Stupid 17" wheels.) and then last week another $1000 for the trailer tires. IT's crazy..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Load is load is load, I am not worried about ST, LT, P–etc. The rated load is all I am concerned about for an Airstream. The Airstream has a low center of gravity and does not need stiff sidewalls. If I were towing a 25 ft tall 5th wheel with a very high center of gravity and high wind cross section, I might be concerned. My engineering spidy sense tells me most of the tire rating game is BS. I want to see data showing increased sway and decreased stability with P tires versus ST tires. I don’t think the data exists. The movie of a Porshe pulling an Airstream through a slalom course is good enough for me. I think that a lot of these tire ratings are very subjective like the truck towing capacities.
Perry
Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #27
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
At the beginning of the season I installed 4 Michelin P235/ 75/ R15 (LTX M/S) (108T Extra Load) tires. I run them at 50 psi and have had no problems at all with them (knock on wood) They have a max load of 2183 lb. I realize they are truck tires so I do watch my turns to make sure I don't go too tight...
Old 09-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Grants Pass , Oregon
Michelin LTX M/S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Doug,
Here are the specs for the Michelin LTX M/S2. They are rated at 2,183 pounds at 50 psi. The old Michelin LTX M/S LT235/75/15 load range C are no longer in production. They may still be in some tire warehouses. How old they are is anyone's guess. My local tire guy told me last week that he could get four for me.
The LTX M/S2 P235/75/15 XL is the new version of the older LTX M/S LT235/75/15. You would have to call Michelin and ask them the differences.
The local dealer and some internet sites list the capacity of the LTX M/S2 P235-75-15 108T at 1985 pounds. Does it say 2183 pounds right on the tires? If they actually can carry 2183, I'd have a lot more reserve carrying capacity. I've got to have tires on within a week so I'll have to make a decision pretty soon. I'm leaning toward these Michelins.