Old 01-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Woodland , California
Michelin 15" LTX M/S2 cold inflation pressure

I recently put a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75R15 108T 's on my FC25FB. I'd like to hear what the forum members who run this tire are using for their cold inflation pressure. In the recent Defender thread, it was reported that the Michelin load and inflation chart says that the maximum tire load, 1,985 pounds (derated load capacity) is achieved at 41 PSI. Senior forum member Switz who provides a lot of great information and insight, said that Andrew at CanAm in Ontario, who was an early proponent of this tire, recommended 44 PSI. Switz says he uses this tire and inflation pressure on his 23' and 25' Airstreams. I think this makes sense.

Now my here's my dilemma. Tireman9, one of our two tire engineers on this forum, has long advocated using the maximum inflation pressure noted on the tire sidewall as the cold inflation pressure for those of us with double axle travel trailers. Using the maximum rated inflation pressure helps to reduce the side loading stress imposed on the tires in tight turns which could eventually result in belt separation and tire failure.

Lots of ST tires fail from belt separation. I haven't read of any reports on this forum of similar belt failures on the Michelin tires. So, does running the tire sidewall maximum pressure of 50 PSI make the most sense or just bump up the Michelin recommendation of 41 PSI as many forum members probably do?

Jmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Always learning
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Hi Jim,
After five years and over 20,000 miles I have run my Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75R15 108T XL tires at 44 for a while, then 41 and a hot summer at 50 based on the recommendation of Tireman9. After all that, I can't discern any difference in the ride, handling or treadwear between those pressures.

Don't get into analysis paralysis. Make sure all four of your tires have at least 41 PSI cold and go camping! If you want to run 50PSI that is fine too. 44PSI? No problem.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I have these tires on my 2008 Classic 25fb. I've always have them set at 50psi. I have my TPMS set for this pressure and monitor the pressure during the season as the ambient temperatures change. Sometimes I look at the tires and feel they look squished from the weight of the trailer but when I test the tire it still comes up close to 50psi. I've had them on since 4/13. If its safe to have them inflated to 44psi I may switch to that pressure.

What is needed is a tire pressure/load chart from Michelin for this tire.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote