Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #29
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Maxxis failure

I had a 6-year-old Maxxis E-rated fail on my last trip. The trad looked almost like a new tire. The tire was initially at 70# and my Pressure-Pro alarm went off well before the tire was even visually down. The tire looked fine, but I could hear the hissing.

The belts had slipped about one tread line in from the shoulder of the tire. There were small cracks in the rubber in line in that groove all around the tire with a single thread from a belt sticking out of one of the cracks. I had to look closely to see the crack after I removed the wheel.

I intended to replace the 2 6-year old Maxxis this fall. There is still one tire of that age on the trailer which will be replaced very soon.

This is the third time that the Pressure-Pro has saved me possible damage.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We started with the OEM GY Marathons. In the first year at about 11,000 miles, we had three separate catastrophic tires failures. We replaced these with a set of Maxxis E's. They did pretty well lasting 27,000 miles when there suffered from tread separation. We replaced them with another set of Maxxis E's. These only last 14,000 miles before suffering tread separation. This was the point at which we decided to cut our losses, and switched to 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires.

Moosetags' experience matches ours.
We are now running on P235 R 75 XL Michelins. Even though they are P (passenger tires), they are extra load and have over a 2000 lb capacity which gives us a safe load margin with our 6300 gvw Safari. They fit on the stock rims with plenty of clearance in the wheel wells so we did not upgrade to 16 inch rims.
Like Moosetags we left parts of ST tires by the side of the road all over the South and South West. As for ST tires, we had the best luck with Maxxis E's. GYM's, Tow Toughs and all the other goofy third world ST tires
were lucky to last two days towing at 65 mph all day in 100 degree plus temperatures.
My reply is yes to the poster who asked if E rated ST tires ride rough. There is a huge difference in ride with my P 235 tires inflated to 50 lbs. I no longer hobby horse and feel safe going all day at 70 mph.
There are lots of fans of ST tires on these forums. To them I say, ST tires will probably work fine if you tow back and forth to the lake on weekends in cool temps but if you are going to tow a lot of miles some of them in hotter than hell conditions, upgrade to P or LT tires. All the hot weather posters say the same thing.

handn is offline   Reply With Quote