Old 02-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Thanks for the info Gary. I will give them a call. Looking at the site, if I need them installed and want any road hazard type warranty, it's $30/tire, so my total cost, unless I can find a place to install them for less than $20/tire is going to be about $120.00 more than the current delivererd cost.

I may call the local shop to see if it's any better on the mounting, going through the retail store and having them do the ordering and such.
Just need to clarify. I bought the tires and warranty only from Discount Tire. I had them mounted on new wheels that were an additional 120.00 from Hubcap Annies. The mounting was another 100.00 because I had them "lug centric" balanced.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Silvertwinkie

Tires usually don't just fail, with the exception of the 19.5, which had a bad habit of blowing out loudly.
First the air starts to leak out.
This is caused by a number of reasons. On the ST tires usually due to shifting of the steel belts tearing a hold in the air bladder of the tire itself.
As the air leaks out the tire becomes overloaded (see the tire manufacturers are right, the tire was underinflated and overloaded).
The increasing rate and severity of the sidewalls flexing causes heat to be generated (bend a coat hanger back and forth rapidly and it will het hot at the point of the bend).
This extra heat cannot be dissipated rapidly enough to prevent further damage to the rubber compounds of the tire.
As the heat builds the rubber melts, the belts shift severely, the tire starts to disinegrate flailing the trailer causing damage.
With a Tire Pressure Monitering System (TPMS) you will be alerted to the initial loss of pressure (mine alarmed at 57-58 PSI, the tire had 65 PSI in it 3-5 miles previous to failure) in the tire and will have enough time to pull over and watch the tire continue to go flat.
In past years when we were not faced with less than adequate tires for the way we drive, we had far fewer failures and less damage than now.
With a single axle you might be able to feel a flat tire, with a double axle trailer probally not.
At any rate even with a single axle trailer you wont feel the flat tire until its flat, then how much time do you have before the tire starts coming apart?
Your guess is as good as mine.
My TPMS is installed on my trailer even though I have gone to better tires. Why? Because I bought the thing (TPMS) and I'm gonna use it.
You never know when you might pick up something on the road.
Beginner

Old 03-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #31
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well Discount Tire couldn't get them. Online or the local store. I broke down and picked them up off the Maxxis site. Got them in 2 days.

Local place removed my Marathons, installed the Maxxis D rated tires, gave me non-marking wheel weights (when they balanced them) and, threw in 4 metal type valve stems.

It's now done. The Safari officially has the nylon capped Maxxis tires on it.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Hey ST, I intend to do the same with my trailer. With ours being a single axle and my wife doing the driving I just don't want to take the chance. Sadly I have two sets of wheels and tires for it now, one has Carlyle's and the other Marathons. It's just not worth the risk.

Did you get any kind of trade in value out of your old tires? Just wondering as I know there are lots of folks who don't know or don't care about the concerns we have.

Barry
Old 03-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Cazenovia , New York
After reading all of the different problems with the Marathons I went outside and looked closely at mine. Brand new maybe 2,000 miles on them. Each tire had strange bulges on the sides. I have never seen this "defect" on any tire I have ever owned. Why does AS keep putting these on their trailers? I am planning on doing some of the Oregon Trail this summer and maybe I should just look for some old wagon wheels on ebay. Least they won't have blow outs...Randy
Old 03-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #34

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by arm4
After reading all of the different problems with the Marathons I went outside and looked closely at mine. Brand new maybe 2,000 miles on them. Each tire had strange bulges on the sides. I have never seen this "defect" on any tire I have ever owned. Why does AS keep putting these on their trailers? I am planning on doing some of the Oregon Trail this summer and maybe I should just look for some old wagon wheels on ebay. Least they won't have blow outs...Randy
It's not unusual to see a depression in the side wall that makes the trailer tire look like it has a bulge. I saw those in my Marathon's also and I think it may be an attribute of the tire.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #35
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hi Barry. I got no trade in allowance at all. It was a simple buy new tires, and leave the old tires behind.

Mine Marathons also had some funky looking sidewalls, not all of them. Though I had no issues, after nearly 4 1/2 years and all the issues that have been brought up here and all over the Internet, I figured it was time to replace and after doing some research both here and around the web felt comfortable selecting the Maxxis brand as a replacement.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #36
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Look Closely

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm4
Not necessarily a defect, have seen the same "bulge" on many new tires,

ST, LT, or P. Never had any concerns with the m/thons, using them on two

A/S since 1989. A total of six tires. Been a "knuckle buster" all my working life

so the importance of proper maint has been pounded into my gourd over and

over again. Proper pressure, balance, rotation, torque and if your not

use'n 'em take 'em off. Let them sit imobile for months with no attention

and trouble will most likely find you. IMHO>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007%20WINTERIZE%20006.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	57283  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Well as of last night we officially are riding on Maxxis ST E rated tires. We took the Classic 25 miles to its inside storage home after getting the wheels back on, and will roll it back home this weekend in prep for our Florida trip.

So far no observations other than the auto repair guys who mounted the tires ignored my request to inflate the tires to 75 psi (they filled them to 65). So at this point based on the Maxxis inflation chart their capacity is the same as my old D rated Marathons. I'll get that extra 10 lbs in next week.

The E's are 10 ply rated with 2 belts polyester, 2 belts steel, and one belt nylon for the tread. The side walls are 2 belts polyester. Looks like the ride was OK. Upon arrival I didn't notice anything being out of place or any drawers open. So for now nothing of note regarding ride quality within the trailer or the tow vehicle itself.

We got the set for $360 from a small outstate tire dealer. My neighbor brought them home for me. Locally the auto repair charged me $15 each to mount, balance the new tires and dispose of the Marathons.

Jack
Check and make sure that you got E rated tires. I had a similar happening when I had a GMY installed in Ellijay Georgia. I checked the pressure before I pulled out and it was 10psi less than I specified. The tire guy said he inflated it to the maximum pressure listed on the side of the tire. He was right about the pressure but he was wrong about the tire. He had ordered a C rated instead of a D rated tire. Had I not checked the pressure myself before leaving I would have paid for the D and gotten a C which is under rated for my trailer. Anyway since that trip the wheels have been changed to 16' and the tires are Michelin. Jerry.