Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #29
_

. , .
if the tires are no longer trust worthy (in yer mind),

that's as good a reason for a NEW SET as any other logical measure.

i did patch/plug a gym that continued in service for many 1000s of miles....

but have had nails in locations where repair was NOT possible too.

there is no road hazard coverage from gy for gyms.

i once tried getting one more 'season' out of tires when still a poor student...

the result was rolling the beetle multiple times

and totally the car after hydroplaning on those thin tires...

i have NOT be tire poor since.
_________

IF u r using this tpms...TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM

the temp readings are interesting but hard to directly apply the data.

i have YET 2 read anyone posting what is a THRESHOLD for bad tire temps.

one of them (tpms) reads consistently 5-7 degrees (f) above the others...

this started immediately AFTER a wheel bearing repack at the j/c service center.

so my suspicion is that hub is a tiny be tooo tight and the differential hasn't increased with milage.

also have had 2 RED LIGHT LOW PRESSURE hits on the display panel while towing...

both times i saw NOTHING in the rear view mirror (flames/tire debris/flying parts)

but pulled slowly off the road to inspect....

each was a false alarm, the tire in question was NORMAL and fully inflated.

unscrewing and reattaching the sensor corrected the display.

so we may trade a few false alarms for NOT knowing about a low/slow leaking tire...

that seems like a fair trade right now.

too bad the sensors can't find the nails and PULL'm then patch the tire.

i guess there are still some dangers and UNcertainty in streamin'...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #30
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
My opinion (That + a buck will get you a cup o' joe) is the trailer behind the 'stream didn't have any negative effects on the tires or rims.

Personnally I don't buy in to brand names, I buy into specs. And knowing what the data is for an item I believe is very important for me to make a decision. I also feel (not an exact measure by any means) that a lot of people make decisions based on other things than data. Not that all data is totally reliable either. The "brand" that has the most market share by shear numbers will also have the most negative feedback. 2% of a 100 million is a lot compared to 2% of a 100 thousand.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 09-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #31
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
As a post script, I get usually get a part that has specs better than what the job requires. I take advantage of new technology (with in reason) to assist in keeping the job going. Like TPMS mentioned above. I also invest in PM heavily, in this case keeping tires covered when not in use and mainting correct pressure. Tire rotations help some as well.

Then I don't worry when I am done because the decision has been made and go camping!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Just my two cents - and that's probably all it's worth - but my second set of gyms will be 5 years old this month. The first, and original, set - load range "C" - was replaced at JC with load range "D" tires when they were 5 years old. I plan to make one or two more local trips (---under 500 miles) here in New England before Winter sets in and we put the AS in the deep freeze. That said, I won't change the gyms until next spring. On the other hand, if we decide to head south, I'll opt for my third set of gyms in the next month or so - once again using load range "D." I have also discussed the manufacture date with my local dealer - requesting no tires older than 90 days - and he has assured me that my request would not be a problem. I continue to run the tires at the original 50 psi specified for the "C" range tires on my 2000 Excella. I think that Action's comment about "market share" is most pertinent!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
'geezer (more fun to call you that than Brian),

Another alternative is to take off the tire instead of towing the trailer, getting the tire fixed, and waiting 'til February to do something. You could put a plug in yourself and save a few bucks.

Have you been to JC? They can get you new 16" wheels and you can pick up Michelins in Toledo or Dayton at Discount (cheapest prices I found in Ohio) and have them mounted at JC, take the tour, and buy some stuff in the store. Tires and wheels may be cheaper in Ohio than in Ontario. While you at it, you could get the wheel bearings repacked and they could even replace the brakes with self adjusting ones (that part was almost twice as expensive there as buying elsewhere last year, but it may have come down). I'm sure you can spend more money at JC without much thought. Since Canada's economy isn't nearly as messed up as ours, we need the money here—think of it as foreign aid.

In year's past, work at the Service Center in winter was discounted, though that may only have been if you left it there until they got around to it—worth asking anyway. When we were at JC last October, there were several people from Canada there, probably making their way south too, so you'll be right at home.

Gene
Old 09-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Yep, that is the TPMS that have. So seems to work fine. We haven't had any false alarms with it yet. I suppose they could be caused by something else on the same radio frequency?

I did have problems once where sensors were not being recognized. Changed the batteries in the sensors and all was well.

Could have been that I am buying batteries at a very low price including free shipping from China! They seem fine though and have good voltage out of the package.

I just received a fresh shipment of 20 for about $7 including shipping,taxes etc.

I find that my tires all seem to run at very similar temperatures as a rule. Within a few degrees F. I suppose one tire significantly different from the others could be caused by a tight bearing, bearing on its way out, or even a sticking/dragging brake.

I'm not really concerned about the absolute value of the readings, because I don't really know what t means - i just look for comparability.

I'm pretty sure have noticed a temp difference from one side of teh trailer to the other too - just a sun/shade difference I expect.

I often will check all the tire pressures as we are on our journey just to convince myself everything is working as it should (and for the sake of fiddling with something). As the tires heat up, they can easily rise 5 psi or more.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
'Geezer is fine, I consider it a badge of Honour these days!

Interesting thought about JC! Just in the last few minutes I did find a local source of the regular size Maxxis tires and may just go with them this time around.

They are the standard load range D however, not E that some folks seem to have moved up to. They cannot tell me when they might get E's in - perhaps January, and I'd rather get things sorted out while the weather up here is still decent!

We did go to Jackson Centre when we first bought our trailer as we bought it used from an AS dealer about 50 miles North in Findlay Ohio, so it only made sense to go to JC and take the tour, buy some goodies etc. We stopped overnight at their RV park.

I generally like to do repacks and such myself. I've had bad experiences in the past with RV shops not doing what I've paid for, so I like to know it is done and (hopefully) done properly.

On the last trailer I owned, bought used from a dealer, I paid to have the bearings repacked before we took delivery of the RV.

A year later I decided I would do a repack. I was horrified when I pulled the hubs. What little grease there was in all the wheels was hard, caked, and cracked. The rollers were starting to spall with metal flakes everywhere.

I consider myself pretty lucky to have found it and of course had to change all the bearings.

I wrote a polite but upset letter to the owner of the Company complete with pictures of the distressed bearings. I suggested that since his company motto was " Quality, Integrity, and Customer Service" he might consider a talk with his service department.

I never got so much as an acknowledgement, let alone an apology!

Then, when I bought our AS, (From as AS dealer) you'd think I would have learned my lesson, but again I paid for a repack before collecting the trailer!

When we arrived to pick up the trailer and I reviewed the various invoices they had for me, I noticed no charge for grease seals. When I queried that, I was told "They were fine so we didn't need to change them!)

It made me suspicious, because to seems to me that its is pretty much automatic to put new seals whenever you repack bearings.

Of course you cannot properly inspect & service the inboard bearing without pulling the grease seal, and more often than not I have found that the seal is damaged beyond use when being removed.

When I got home I pulled the wheels for a looksee - there was lots of fresh looking grease. I guessed that perhaps all they had done was to pull the hub and grease it just from the outside end without removing the seal and inner bearing assembly, but at least it was better than the last guy did!

Since I did my own repack last month, I found that the AS seals did pop out without damage, so I guess it is possible they pulled them and re-inserted them. Still doesn't sound to me like a proper repack though, especially from an AS dealer!

Actually, I have heard they are no longer an AS dealer!
Not sure of the reason, but what I heard is that they got into an argument with AS because they wouldn't do warrantee work, but rather would send customers back to JC just 50 miles down the road! Who knows!!

Sorry - I ramble - this is a long way from tires - but then, us geezers do ramble!

Brian

I just repacked the bearings on our AS last month - an easy job albeit a bit messy! It also gives me a good chance to check over all the brake components.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
There have been many posts on the Forum about shops doing a poor job or nonexistent job repacking bearings. I have done them myself, but I have also had it done in JC. They did it right. I watched. I doubt I would have it done elsewhere unless I am too much a geezer to do it myself.

But you don't need that, you need tires.

Seems you could wait for LR E tires until January, have them set aside and get tires changed on your way to the Southwest.

I think you have some time before it snows if you want to get this out of the way—maybe a month—to make a decision. Of course, it's supposed to be 37˚ (3˚ for you) Saturday morning here and it may be an early snow year. When we have severe winters in Colorado, it's usually mild where you are (or in Buffalo, near enough). Vice versa too.

Now if you want to get more confused, ask about the best battery or truck.

Gene
Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Now if you want to get more confused, ask about the best battery or truck.

Gene

Ain't that the truth!

Sometimes I think that this forum is so fantastic and helpful, other times it just confuses the hell out of me! Never fails to entertain me though, I really enjoy it!

Actually, I did buy my present tow vehicle after doing a lot of reading on this forum, and I'm really thrilled with it in all respects!

Likewise, I moved to AGM batteries due to the forum.

Guess I'm just weak-willed and easily lead! But I figure there's no point
re-inventing the wheel when there is so much experience here.

Of course I try to go with the "concensus" but sometimes there seems to be no concensus, that's when the fun starts trying to sort out the wheat from the chaff!

One thing that is used often in a few motorcycle forums in which I participate is the "poll" feature.

Folks just come up with a subject and categories for a poll and everyone gives their input.

The forum software automatically produces a simple bar chart of responses with stats as to the number of responses in total and by category.

I find the polls often very interesting and useful in seeing which way the majority is going with respect to a given issue.

Its obviously much easier to digest and interpret the data this way than just a whole whack of emails with comments. Of course comments are usually provided in addition to the stats in the poll.

Maybe this is done on Airforums already? Don't recall seeing organized polls with bar chart summaries though.

Gonna sleep on the the tire issue a bit! Mebbe I'll go pull that nail and see if my tire is leaking and if so put in a "sticky rope" for now! I've never had occasion to try one before!

I assume that if you use one, it is good practice to then take the tire and have an inside patch added as well.

Cheers ............ Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

Don't recall seeing organized polls with bar chart summaries though.

Gonna sleep on the the tire issue a bit! Mebbe I'll go pull that nail and see if my tire is leaking and if so put in a "sticky rope" for now! I've never had occasion to try one before!

I assume that if you use one, it is good practice to then take the tire and have an inside patch added as well.

Cheers ............ Brian.
Geezer Brian,

Yes there are polls with bar charts. Stick around long enough and you'll see one. One of the more interesting ones to me is that about 50% of polltakers have Macs proving that half of Airstream owners are smarter than the rest of the people. Is my bias showing?

There is also a dispute about whether a plug is good enough or you need a patch. I put a plug in a truck tire in Alaska and probably have put well over 4,000 miles on it without any problems. If you need to move the trailer a short distance a plug probably will be no problem. I have used plugs before without any problems, but I suppose an inside patch is better, but how much better, I don't know. It may be "conventional wisdom", i.e., wrong. Most of the plug is pulled up to the hole inside the tires and is very sticky, so I think it creates a patch. I am sure if you pull the nail out, the tire will leak.

Gene
Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I just wanted to share some info.

We have a 1999-34' with USA made Goodyear Marathons (load C) that are dated 4803 (year 2003) mounted on the Alcoa Aluminum wheels with Centramatics and a TPMS on each tire.

The tires are just now starting to show small cracks in the sidewalls and they will be replaced in the near future. The trailer is always stored under cover and the tires are always treated and air pressure is constantly checked for 50psi.

I removed the TPMS due to getting false signals when traveling, just got tired of looking for a place to pull off when the alarm went off.....the company said it was the valve stem causing the problem.

I take very good care of the tires and running gear and always monitor the tires closely.....maybe this is why the Marathons have lasted so long...
Old 12-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I

I removed the TPMS due to getting false signals when traveling, just got tired of looking for a place to pull off when the alarm went off.....the company said it was the valve stem causing the problem.
What brand of TPMS? I have had some issues with the Doran 360 sensors giving wrong signals lately.

Gene
Old 12-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I was using the Pressure Pro units....still have them, just don't use them...
Old 12-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I was using the Pressure Pro units....still have them, just don't use them...
This is going off topic, but since some of us monitor tire pressure, it's important that the TPMS systems work properly. I wonder if others are having problems? Doran and Pressure Pro are very similar and at one time Pressure Pro sued Doran, but Doran is still on the market. They may have the same Asian suppliers for some parts such as the monitors. Problems could be as simple as dirt in the interface with the stems.

Gene