Old 06-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
The Marathon's I had problems with on another brand of trailer about 4 years ago were made in Canada.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The one that failed on me was Canadian built.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens View Post
One of my good friends, a long time Airstreamer who is meticulous in checking his tires runs Maxxis @ 70 lbs. pressure on his newer 30' Limited.
I'm curious whether he was running the E rated tires. At 70 psi, he's within the operating limits of the E's. I'm running my E's at 75 psi.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
The Marathon's I had problems with on another brand of trailer about 4 years ago were made in Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
The one that failed on me was Canadian built.

Jack
OK, my bad. I remembered they came from a country that started with a "C". It also seemed that they were made during a certain time frame, but that may be my misconstruing the facts again.

My Marathons may go on the next trip, but I've put over 12K miles on mine with 65 PSI without any problems so far. I do plan on replacing them around 15K-18K miles or probably at the beginning of next season. I have the coach stored near the destinations for this season's camping so this year's mileage should be pretty low. I stop about every 3 hours and check the temp with an infrared thermometer to make sure that they aren't overheating and they always seem to have consistent temps on the same side (sunny side a little higher) and seem to be in line with the temps of the tow vehicle's tire temps (always lower than the truck's). I keep the torque on the lugs at the factory specs and strike the tires with a mallet at each stop to check for unusual sounds. Not sure what else to do.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #19
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
jcanavera, Yes, he had (has) the E rated Maxxis. This is the second time he has destroyed the street side of his trailer with a tire failure. I'm not sure what brand he was running when he experienced the first tire failure, but I know that the first failure was the reason he put on the Maxxis. Again, he is religious about checking his pressures each day. He runs centramatics to help insure that everything is in balance. The only place he may be at fault is that according to his traveling buddies, he tends to drive well over 65 whenever he feels like it. Are the Maxxis rated for only 65 mph like all the other trailer tires? Could routine excess speed in the 70 to 75 mph range be causing his problems?
GStephens
Old 06-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #20

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens View Post
The only place he may be at fault is that according to his traveling buddies, he tends to drive well over 65 whenever he feels like it. Are the Maxxis rated for only 65 mph like all the other trailer tires? Could routine excess speed in the 70 to 75 mph range be causing his problems?
GStephens
GStephens,

The Maxxis are ST tires and they are speed rated to 65 mph. I don't know what the tolerance level is but higher speeds can cause the tires to run hotter. Speed and pressure are contributing factors in the life of a tire. Unfortunately it's hard to find a load rating chart that has speed factors built in to it. I have seen one in the past from Michelin and there is no doubt that the load capacity of a tire decreases once you go over the max speed rating of the tire. When you note he drives "well over 65 mph", I see a smoking gun.

One of the best examples is the fact that you can tow a tandem axled Airstream with one tire missing. Did you notice that they warn you to keep the speed to 45 mph or less? Part of that is the fact that based on load rating charts that show the speed factor, the load bearing capacity of the single tire actually increases as the tire speed is reduced.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Regarding my Maxxis failure speed was not a factor. I have a personal towing speed limit of 65 even when the speed limit is higher. And with the amount I'm putting in the gas tank - over a 100 bucks today for instance and my first 4 buck gas in WV - I may drop it to 60 to see if things improve any.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

I am running Maxxis E rated tires on one side of my 2004 25 Safari and Carlyse E rated on the other side. I would prefer to run Maxxis tires on all four wheels because they have a better reputation, but I had to purchase tires at different places.
I have had three instances of Marathon blowouts, two of the Marathons were made in Canada and the last made in China (that tire was three months old and had about 1500 miles on it). Enough was enough so I went to E rated tires.
The common thread in all my blowouts was extreme heat, temperatures at or near 100 degrees and long distance running, the blowouts occured after several hundred miles of running.
I am running 80 lbs of pressure in my E-rated tires. I have about 3,000 miles on them with no trouble and my fingers are crossed.
I have posted on other threads about my tire troubles and have received opinions from self appointed experts that I am harming my trailer because the E rated tires are too stiff for its suspension. Does any one have an opinion on this issue. I can tell no difference in the trailer's ride or handling and there is no unusual distirbance in the contents of the trailer.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I am running Maxxis E rated tires on one side of my 2004 25 Safari and Carlyse E rated on the other side. I would prefer to run Maxxis tires on all four wheels because they have a better reputation, but I had to purchase tires at different places.
I have had three instances of Marathon blowouts, two of the Marathons were made in Canada and the last made in China (that tire was three months old and had about 1500 miles on it). Enough was enough so I went to E rated tires.
The common thread in all my blowouts was extreme heat, temperatures at or near 100 degrees and long distance running, the blowouts occured after several hundred miles of running.
I am running 80 lbs of pressure in my E-rated tires. I have about 3,000 miles on them with no trouble and my fingers are crossed.
I have posted on other threads about my tire troubles and have received opinions from self appointed experts that I am harming my trailer because the E rated tires are too stiff for its suspension. Does any one have an opinion on this issue. I can tell no difference in the trailer's ride or handling and there is no unusual distirbance in the contents of the trailer.
Airstream trailers love a "SOFT" ride.

Anything that stiffens the ride, will in time, cause many different damages.

One or more of the following, will stiffen the ride, to the point of causing various damages.

Over inflation of tires.

Excessive rated hitch bars.

Excessive tow vehicle spring rate.

Load range "E" tires.

Bad axles.

The damages will range from shearing rivets, fatigue cracking the shell, fatigue cracking the frame, fatigue cracking the "A" frame, creating water leaks, excessive wear on the entrance door hinge or hinges, excessive wear on the entrance door lock striker bolt and pocket, cracking copper tubing both water lines and in the AC, rear end separation on some models, causing the AC to loosen it's mounting, causing shell separation from the front hold down plate, causing the battery compartments to come loose at the front, breaking furniture, making bulkheads move out from the walls, making the toilet mounting bolts to come loose, fatigue cracks in the front and rear plastic end caps, fatigue cracking the tubs and shower pans, causing thermocouple lines for the reefer to crack in half, completely loosening the furnace mounting, fatigue cracking the entrance door jamb, and a few other things as wel, such as damaging appliances.

These are not opinions, but facts based on my 2 months running an Airstream service department, plus 42 years.

Owners, just "LOVE" to tear up their Airstreams, and dealers, such as ourselves, love to rebuild them.

Destroy the soft ride, and you will eventually put dents in your bank account, like big dents.

FWT, fair wear and tear, is not covered by "warranty".

So, use everything "super heavy duty" and destroy your Airstream, piece by piece.

A few thousand miles, is not a wear test for anything, nor is opinions.

About 50 percent of our labor charges are for repair and/or replacement to items, that were damaged by the rough rides.

Perhaps a better way to put it, is that 50 percent of repairs, could normally be avoided, by insisting that your Airstream has a soft ride, and quit trying to re-engineer the product, and to weigh opinions, with the great of ill confidence.

Facts, that are proven year after year, is the name of the game.

What someone may have done, on an isolated basis, should never be used as the way to go, since it doesn't have the many many years of the old fashioned test of time.

Abusing the trailer, is directly proportional to the bad health of ones bank accounts.

Andy
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #24

Fenton , Missouri
The question relates in my opinon as to the loaded weight you carry today. Now bets are off if you are using an LT E rated tire since that technically is built for truck service not trailers. My gut would tell me that that tire would probably carry a little more shock to the trailer itself.

I made the jump to the E Maxxis for two reasons. One was the fact that my tandem axle slide out unit is the heaviest trailer that Airstream builds (on two axles). Secondly the Maxxis brand has a nylon cap that they use to minimize belt squirm which is a heat generator. The cap is standard in many European tires but not seen in US tires.

I don't believe jumping to E rated tires should be automatic. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the D Maxxis tires since there is no doubt that running a 6,500 lb. load on E's will no doubt cause a stiffer ride.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

I don't believe jumping to E rated tires should be automatic. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the D Maxxis tires since there is no doubt that running a 6,500 lb. load on E's will no doubt cause a stiffer ride.

Jack
Not only a stiffer ride, but damages as well.

See post 23 above.

Andy
Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #26
_

. , .
Quote:
...a nylon cap that they use to minimize belt squirm which is a heat generator. The cap is standard in many European tires but not seen in US tires...
not exactly.

MANY passenger car tires available in the usa have nylon cap technology...

but these are mostly v, z or w rated tires...

the addition (or need) of a nylon belt or cap has been badly confused, here are some basics...

-STEEL belts can LIFT or separate at very high speeds

-which can lead to belt separation from the carcass.

-nylon caps or nylon BELTS or extra rubber or belt edging are used to reduce high speed issues with steel belts...

-BUT nylon caps and belts have issues too.

-THE EXTRA nylon generates more heat AND stiffens tires, making the ride MORE FIRM...

that firmness is tolerated on high performance cars, or mitigated some with suspension tweaks...

...neither of which applies to 'streams.

-tire related structural issues will not be apparent (n d trailer) afta 2-3k miles of towing, even on 2days poorly built 'streams...

also on high performance cars the nylon BELTS or caps or edging can be thinner (less heat) since the load rating needs are different...

...again this does NOT apply to 'streams.

-gym DO have 1 or 2 nylon belts now, which are used for the EXACT SAME REASON as the max nylon cap...

-2 extra belts might seem better than 1 but again, more belts===more heat.

not having a full nylon cap might reduce vibration and harshness some...

and allow for better heat transfer OUT of the tire...

as noted earlier extra rubber at the steel belt margins can also reduce belt separation and without the challenges of nylon.

we've got a LONG way to go before it would be accurate to suggest the max' tire has a better service record than gyms....

and none of this (caps, belts, edges, more rubber) changes the PRIMARY causes of trailer tire failures...

1. under-inflation
2. over loading
3. age
4. balance, alignment or running gear issues (knowing someone will suggest these)

cheers
2air'

disclaimer...

i'm not a tire engineer or self appointed expert, but used to play with a tire swing in the back yard...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
For the record, I am now at about 1400 miles on my Maxxis "D" rated tires.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Ue=168

I also have over 3000 miles on my Maxxis UE-168's and have had not a bit of trouble, at all, even running 80mph.

What model of Maxxis tire is first mentioned in this thread? The UE-168 is rated as both an LT and an ST. I run D's at 65psi on a 9600lb trailer. I have six of them though, so the load per is reduced quite a bit.

Anyway, you need to state which Maxxis tire you're running.

I was going to buy Goodyear Marathons until I read all of the evil about them on here...