Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think Maxxis makes some good go-cart tires.
Go-carts go 80-something mph on a dirt track and 130-something mph on a paved track.
Our trailers will never go that fast...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
What would a person pay for a well built quality tire when standing on the side of the road surveying the damage that just occurred from a tire with a catastrophic failure?
Sometimes being frugal has its drawbacks......
Good luck
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2003 25' Safari
Florence , Oregon
Put Maxxis on our 28' Classic 2 years ago and have towed about 15k. No problems, no issues. High speed towing always causes problems regardless of tires. So far 2 upside, down and side ways along highway, stuff everywhere along with dog running around. Really not the way I want my trip to go. Been in a car being passed by people towing at 75++ trailer just a dancing behind tow vehicle. Just because you can drive 80 in Idaho doesn't mean you can tow at 80.
Classic2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Well said Classic
Old 08-22-2016, 08:41 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
What would a person pay for a well built quality tire when standing on the side of the road surveying the damage that just occurred from a tire with a catastrophic failure?
Good luck
Funny enough when I replaced the GYM with Maxxis tires the Maxxis were about $25 a tire more than the GYM's.

Have towed for 11 years, thousands of miles (some years as much as 12,000 tow miles) and not had an ST tire blow out while towing (touch wood) - did have one do a slow early fail though. On the other hand in the same time frame I have had 2 LT tires blow out on vehicles at highway speed.

To many factors for tire failures for me to suggest one type has a higher chance of catastrophic failure over the other.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Good luck

$7-8k damage for losing a single tire should be an attention getter, as said. With that, no maker of premium tires offers an ST. That should also be an attention getter.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Been there, done that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
That's alright.
I'll pass.
I'm good.
I'm convinced there is really no such thing as a good quality, long life ST tire.
I'll stick with my 16" LT tires.
16" wheels and LT tires: $1,400-
Peace of mind: Priceless-
What he said!!!!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Been there, done that twice!
There will NOT be a third time!
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
With that, no maker of premium tires offers an ST. That should also be an attention getter.
These tire threads are a hoot. So I do a google search for "premium tire brands", and what do you know, I find a listing of what a source considered the top 5 premium brands, and guess what? Goodyear was on the list, and they make an ST tire. But this thread is about Maxxis ST tires, and I will consider them when it's time to replace my current tires. Note: I prefer towing at 65 MPH or less.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I also tow at 65 mph or less for following distance, stopping distance, and fuel economy, but on Load Range E 10-ply 16" LT tires...
Everybody's got a choice, and everybody's got an opinion based upon personal experience whether good or bad which shapes and molds their decision making.
I didn't get it either as long as I was having good luck with my Goodyear Marathons, thinking they were better than the Carlisle ST tires on the previous trailer. They weren't.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I didn't get it either as long as I was having good luck with my Goodyear Marathons, thinking they were better than the Carlisle ST tires on the previous trailer. They weren't.
I get it just fine thanks.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #52
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We've had good luck with our GYM tires for the past 2+ years. However, we are typically pretty light packers. That said, we have an appointment tomorrow to replace our old GYM tires with 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires. He's already mounted the tires and can't wait to see us.

Will likely have the tire shop remove and dispose of the old GYM tires, because they are 3 years old by the date code. If anybody else tried to use them it would probably just lead to sadness and despair, and we don't want to be a part of that.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
These tire threads are a hoot. So I do a google search for "premium tire brands", and what do you know, I find a listing of what a source considered the top 5 premium brands, and guess what? Goodyear was on the list, and they make an ST tire. But this thread is about Maxxis ST tires, and I will consider them when it's time to replace my current tires. Note: I prefer towing at 65 MPH or less.
Totally agree.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Mr. Donahoe, if you'd bothered to read the article, you would know that Maxxis are NOT Chinese made, nor are they cheap - they're comparable in price & quality in ST to Carlilse & better than GYM (which ARE Chinses made now), & in LT to Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Yokohama, etc. as used by my fellow Porsche Club members on their Cayennes, & others on other vehicles.

Note that folks used to say the same types of things about Bridgestone, Yokohama & the other Japanese made tires, but now they're considered among the best in the world for all types of vehicles.

However, I too agree & had stated above that there are serious quality problems with Chinese made tires & other automotive products.

Again, Maxxis are made in Indonesia & Maylaysia under tight supervision by the Taiwanese parent company - as are some Michelin tires made in Southeast Asia nowadays - but then, ignorance of the facts is bliss, I suppose.

Thanx so much for chiming in again with erroneous info.!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
My information comes with owning and running big trucks - and trailers, 7 axles with 100,000 gross and 100-125,000 miles / year, in the late 1960's it was Goodyear, early 1970's we went to Toyo, later to Bridgestone, all were good for the time ,later the Michelin and Bridgestone on the drives would go 150,000 miles and be at 50 percent, trade them in and get 50 percent back, never had many tire problems.. With 14,500 lbs on the steer axle you don't want any,as it could be your life, so you see I do know a little about tires, and I didn't read about it in an advertisement..cheers, tj..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #55
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
Funny enough when I replaced the GYM with Maxxis tires the Maxxis were about $25 a tire more than the GYM's.

Have towed for 11 years, thousands of miles (some years as much as 12,000 tow miles) and not had an ST tire blow out while towing (touch wood) - did have one do a slow early fail though. On the other hand in the same time frame I have had 2 LT tires blow out on vehicles at highway speed.

To many factors for tire failures for me to suggest one type has a higher chance of catastrophic failure over the other.
I couldn't agree more, & my point exactly.

While ST vs. LT tires on here tends to bring out the passions as high as religion or politics, it really is each person's choice to pick which tire type & make that they're most comfortable with using.

Ergo, I did provide links to both ST & LT tires from Maxxis, in addition to the initial article from Trailer Life for the information of all.

However, what I find most maddening on this & any other tire or hitch thread, are the folks who feel it is somehow helpful or appropriate to just blow in a useless opinionated statement with no meat other than "I think....." - just because they apparently have nothing else to do!

At least Mr. Donahoe's last post has added some useful information, & as the OP, I would really appreciate folks adding their experiences as in the above quoted post & Mr. Donohoe's last post - rather than just chiming in with your opinion of China.

At least state what your reasons & experience is on the issue, because your empty opinion is really just useless dribble, & does nothing to inform the members on here, & I say that for all topics on here, no matter the subject.

I don't have to agree with you on your point(s), but I don't think anyone really cares what someone blows in & says they hate this or that, don't like something, etc. Frankly, it's a waste of your & everyone's time to type that message!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #56
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
My information comes with owning and running big trucks - and trailers, 7 axles with 100,000 gross and 100-125,000 miles / year, in the late 1960's it was Goodyear, early 1970's we went to Toyo, later to Bridgestone, all were good for the time ,later the Michelin and Bridgestone on the drives would go 150,000 miles and be at 50 percent, trade them in and get 50 percent back, never had many tire problems.. With 14,500 lbs on the steer axle you don't want any,as it could be your life, so you see I do know a little about tires, and I didn't read about it in an advertisement..cheers, tj..
Great TJ, at least this adds some meat to the potatoes!

I too have been driving cross country since the 1960's, but not as a professional, & agree with the changes in the preferred tire makers changing over that time. Perhaps Maxxis is now worth consideration for such a change now, as I & others have had good luck with both their ST & LT tires of late. That's up to you.

I'll still agree to disagree on my preference for putting good quality ST tires on my trailers, & am happy with Maxxis for both their ST on my Avion T20 & their LT on my 88 VW Camper Van.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
After ST tire failures twice, I am hedging my bets with LT tires.
I have had p-rated tires fail, but not within 3 years.
When I have had a P-rated tire fail, the tires were very old- way beyond 5 years.
The ST tires failed within 3 years.
I ignored all the anecdotes until it happened to me.
Then my opinion was formed not based on anecdotes, but personal experience.
I don't recall ever having an LT tire fail, but have had 2 blowouts on Michelins of unknown age or unknown road debris.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Tires & Guns...both get everyone on this forum all fired up, every poster is an authority of sorts including myself. So, let's respect every opinion because after all we all know it all......I like Maxxis, I own a Glock, my choice not yours!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #59
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Tires & Guns...both get everyone on this forum all fired up, every poster is an authority !

What, excluding hitches?

Insert smiley face here.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #60
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
For what it's worth we have Maxis tires on some of our SOB brands. We found the reliability to be similar to Marathons so not great.

Interesting we are on a trip at the moment and due to a last minute trailer change I am running marathons on a 26U. Another unit in or group is a 2012 19 Flying Cloud running P235/75 x 15 Michelins. When following them both the 19 bounces less than the 26. Which really shouldn't be. As well the 26 is on a smoother tow vehicle.

Besides the virtually perfect reliability record I think the biggest benefit of the 235/75 x 15 Michelins is the reduced road shock in the Airstream.

There may be other tires just as good but when we have had such a great track record with a product it is hard to justify experimenting with something different.

Other than a few heavily loaded classic 30's Airstreams are not heavy enough to make E range tires ride properly.

I hope this helps.

Andrew T

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote