Old 08-17-2016, 03:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Well there you go, from 2 "experts" with absolutely zero substantiation.

I disagree, as do others on here with rights to our own educated opinions.

No reason to try to kill the conversation of others who may be interested, just because you don't like ST's.

If you don't like ST's, then why bother with this negative stuff in the first place anyway!?

After all, this is NOT a poll to see who likes ST or LT.

I really do not care if you don't like STs or not, & per my OP, Maxxis also makes an excellent LT line for you hard-liners!

Maxxis LT Tires - I run them on our VW Westy -
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-2...eries-ue-168-n

Cheers Anyway!
Tom
///////
I guess you didn't recognize sarcasm. There wasn't an emoticon that had a sarcastic look on it.

George

Old 08-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #16

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
For all the folks who use LT tires because of the "65 mph limit" on ST's, you will be glad to know that it is no longer an issue:

NOTE: During the second half of 2015, a Service Description was branded on each Marathon Radial's sidewall, identifying the tire's Load Index and L-Speed Rating (75 mph - 120 kmh).

Per a note on the Marathon page at The Tire Rack.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My "substantiation" is personal experience with ST tire failures- twice.
That's all the substantiation I need.
There won't be any need for a third failure.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:49 PM   #18
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
My experience was 21 tires in 9 years. One blowout with wheel well and skin damage and numerous tread separations. These were GYM, Carlisle, and Maxxis in that order.Two years on Michelin 16' LTX.
guskmg
Old 08-18-2016, 12:03 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Just a little tid bit, in order for a tire to have an ST rating it must be rated to at least 65 mph. That doesn't mean that all ST tires have a speed rating of 65 mph. My ST225/75R15 Carlisle radial trail hd's have an m speed rating which is 81 mph. That combined with Discount tires warranty I'm not considered with a tire failure.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
Just a little tid bit, in order for a tire to have an ST rating it must be rated to at least 65 mph. That doesn't mean that all ST tires have a speed rating of 65 mph. My ST225/75R15 Carlisle radial trail hd's have an m speed rating which is 81 mph. That combined with Discount tires warranty I'm not considered with a tire failure.

Hi, I have the same tires as SpletKay06 and from the same company. So far my tires have only been on one trip; It was our 2015 cross country trip of over 13,000 miles.

I did have four [Canadian] GYM failures, all caught in time. I have never had a flat, never had a blow out, and never used my spare. My Canadian GYM's were all replaced with Chinese tires that had no failures. These were replaced due to age. So here I am with Carlisles.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:46 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
ST tires are probably fine for a construction materials or lawn service trailer. But that's about it.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #22
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
I guess you didn't recognize sarcasm. There wasn't an emoticon that had a sarcastic look on it.

George
Sorry George, I did not, but then you know my frustration with useless posts like that!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #23
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Out of curiosity, are there any state(s) where it is legal to tow a TV-TT rig over 65 mph? .... if so, which one(s) & at what max. speed(s)??

In California we're limited to 55 mph in almost all cases, with some only posting Trucks & Cars with Trailers at 55 - leaving an open & usually unsuccessful (in court) hope that a pick-up or truck based SUV is not considered a car in such cases - ergo, the state is in the process of changing the signs to "All Vehicles When Towing."

That said - anyone who has driven in CA knows that neither trucks, TVs nor any other vehicle is at the speed limits on freeways in many cases!

TIA
Tom
///////
Old 08-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #24
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
IIRC those Carlisles are what Pete Brock (BRE Racing & Shelby Daytona Coupe designer, etc.) specs on his Aero Vault streamlined car hauler trailers for the 81 mph M speed rating.

The Trailer Life Maxxis article says their tires are designed for more than 65 mph ST rating, so if the org. changes their mind on them, perhaps they will modify their rating up from 65 to XX mph + safety factor?

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 08-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #25
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
My experience was 21 tires in 9 years. One blowout with wheel well and skin damage and numerous tread separations. These were GYM, Carlisle, and Maxxis in that order.Two years on Michelin 16' LTX.
guskmg
There are a lot of factors which come into play on tire failures, including: heat & road temps., age, prior/existing ozone &/or road hazard/use caused cracking & damage, loading of not only the trailer - but also each wheel, road condition & hazards, etc., etc.

If you travel on the highways a lot - towing or in a solo vehicle - then you will eventually have some flats, tread seps., blow-outs, etc. - with ANY tire.

However, I do agree that there are more issues with Chinese made tires where quality control appears to be lacking or non-existent or ignored - & this is in all of ST, LT & passenger car/suv/cuv tires.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 08-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #26
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
guskmg
..... and I can assure you that neither Michelins nor LT tires are immune from blow-outs & tread separations from personal experience!

I had a tread separation caused blow-out on a rear tire on our 1988 VW Vanagon CamperGL Westfalia (about 4800 lbs as loaded) in a set of LESS than 2 year old (by date code & installation) Michelin LT195/75R14-C-101LR tires designed specifically for the tall & narrow high center of gravity VW Vanagon Vans (1980-92+to-2003-S.Africa).

In fact it turned out that ALL 4 new tires had tread bubbles & imminent separations on them, so the tire dealer replaced all 4 at cost, since they had < 1/32 tread wear.

Road conditions were perfect on I-15 near Elsinor CA, it was an October early morning with temps around 65-70, & having driven about 40-45 miles from Orange CA that morning - with us only putting about 3-6000 miles per year on the van at that time.

So there you go - the vaunted Michelin LT tires - can & do fail & blow out & tread separate - even when specifically designed for a particular vehicle & it's unique needs (sidewall flexing, as with our trailers)!

I'm just sayin'!!!!
Tom
///////
Old 08-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
We're those michs part of the recall?
Old 08-18-2016, 11:37 PM   #28
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
We're those michs part of the recall?
No, not part of any recall - it was in the early 2000's and were direct from an Orange County CA Michelin tire dealer.

They were just a set of 4 defective LT tires, which may have been part of a larger bad batch, but not part of any recall as far as I know.

They got replacements from a different manufacturing batch, for which we had to wait a week for them to be shipped here.

Your asking about a major Michelin recall also only reinforces what my point was, that any tire maker - including vaunted Michelin, & any tire - including LTs, can & do fail.

With everything else that factors into tire failures, & the fact that ST tires are designed specifically for the needs of a trailer - & not a light truck which needs traction (resistance) in turning - the opposite of what a trailer tire needs to do - which is to pivot while turning, for which higher traction is counterproductive.

So I just disagree with those on here who will narrow-mindedly reject any & all ST tires out of hand, without even looking into the better options out there. As noted by others above, & as I've heard from others who tow trailers (not work trailers BTW) - they've had good experiences with Maxxis, Carlisle & some GYMs in the ST flavor.

Cheers!
Tom
///////