Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2008 16' International
Forest Knolls , California
Maxxis M8008 tire - longterm experience?

A number of Airforum members have been running Maxxis ST tires for a long time. Some, like 2Air, have put a lot miles on this tire and the GYM's. My GYM's are starting year 3 with 4,100 miles of service, so I'm starting to think about tire replacement. What do you folks running the Maxxis tires think of them? In your experience, has this tire been more reliable than the GYM's manufactured in the last 10 years? What are some pro and cons? Thanks for your comments.

Jim
Jmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So far my e rated maxxis are fine. About five thousand miles. Time will tell. There are e rated and d rated maxxis. Make sure you get the one you want.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When we did research on GYM replacements for our 20 Safari single axle and our 25 FC tandem axle, we noted some folks with successful ST tires have three axle trailers and carrying less weight per tire than we were.

So with the conflicting advice on ST tires we just decided to get the 16" wheels with Michelins and set tire concerns aside. Not saying Maxxis are bad, they are probably better than the GYMs according to reports on this forum.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I now have 21000 miles on the gym's in 21/2 years and they are at 1/2 the tread, no problems with them , will be going to 16"michelins as they are already to go all mounted and just have to be installed this winter. Aren't these maxxis tires made in china? If so why would you want them?
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have just over 23,000 miles on mine. Replaced them at the beginning of the 2011 season. Will look at them in 2017. So far they have been great, still lots of tread and they hold air amazingly well. Top them off in the spring and very seldom have I had to add more during the season.

They have been good for me.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
6 Years new

we purchased five LRE, ST225/75R15 Maxxis M8008s in July 2009.

ST Radial M8008 | Maxxis Tires USA

about 15,000 miles on them, no problems at all, perfectly happy with them.

will replace them with LRDs next time, as the Es are well over capacity for our Safari 25C.

ymmv.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2008 16' International
Forest Knolls , California
Thanks everyone for the comments!

TJDonahoe, Maxxis tires are made by Cheng Shin Rubber Co. based in Taiwan and they manufacture the M8008 tires in Thailand. It really is amazing when you see where the big players like Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone and Goodyear have tire plants. All over the world. Pirelli for example builds there F-1 race car tires in Turkey and Brazil from what I understand. You'd think they would be built in Italy. They all look to maximize cost efficiency of course. But to your point, I was told by two different Goodyear tire dealership guys that Goodyear has their own plant in China. But according to the DOT tire code, my tires were manufactured by Triangle Huasheng Tyre Co. Lt. in China. So I guess during 3913 when my tires were made, Goodyear contracted GYM's to Triangle. Made me pause when I saw that. Maybe Goodyear has their own plant today. Be interesting to look at a new GYM tire and see if there's a different plant code than 2V.

Most of the tires I've bought for my own cars and trucks have been Michelin for the last 35 years. I have been hoping to keep my 15" wheels and stay with an ST tire. i've been uncomfortable with the switch to a de-rated P type tire. Jim
Jmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
Lynn

2005 25' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
GYM tires

I decided to stay with my 15 inch wheels and GYM tires this go around. My dot is 4514 2VHH. Have 4500 miles on them with no problems. I also have a TPMS system that works great! Highly recommend it.

Lynn
aliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In many of these Airforum tire threads, the suggested life of GYM ST tires is three years regardless of the miles.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I installed Maxxis M8008 LR E about two years ago and have about 3000 miles on them. They replaced 5 year old Marathons.
I haven't had a problem with either set of tires and I load them heavy, about 2500 lbs each.
I think the secret to my success is having a single axle (no scrubbing), living in a cool climate, and meticulously balanced hubs, wheels, and tires. .
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
I 2nd Switz's point. I had a 5th wheel for 15 years. Regardless of miles, I found the age of the tires was critical in deciding when to replace them. I went through 4 sets of tires. Blowouts 3 times. Every time, there was plenty of tread. While I keep them covered when in storage, I personally believe, the calendar dictates trailer tire life. My experience =blown tire on a tandem axle trailer = damage to trailer. On the 5th wheel it was minimal and cost of repair $0.
Airstream $$$$ potentially.
My plan GYMSs for 2 years, then MAXXIS on a 3 year change out.
$100 in prevention is worth
$1000s in repairs.
Again, one person's opinion.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
When I bought my 1990 Excella 29' in 2009 it had GYM load range D. In 2010 I put new Aluminum wheels and 4 new Maxxis M8008 LR E on it. Four years and 7 months later I had two tread separations, fortunately warned by a TMS. Age is therefore a significant factor, because the tread was still very good. I put four new Maxxis on, and went on down the road.

Another significant factor is that ST tires are speed limited to 65 mph and hardly any of us keep it under 65 all of the time. In the past I used to drive for hours at 70 mpg and even 75 on the interstate highways across the Dakotas, Montana, etc. I never knew the tires were speed limited until recently. So speed could be a factor.

When I leveled the trailer in campgrounds in the past I was not always careful to support the full width of the trailer tire on leveling boards. Always at least close, but sometimes with a little tire width hanging over the side, inside or outside. Did that contribute to the tread separations?

Probably all three, as I kept watch on the tire pressure and temp and they were always spot on. I really don't want to keep my speed at or under 65 mph ALL of the time, and in fact its just near impossible, so my next set of tires will mean I have to go up from 15" to 16" rims and Michelin Light Truck tires, even though Michelin says they are not appropriate for trailers. AS JC is using them, but apparently not with Michelin's blessing. I've only had trouble with one Michelin truck tire ever, and it was a six year old that went out of round by a little but still had great tread.

How many of us running ST tires keep the speed under the 65 mph limit? It is clear now, but not earlier, that the Maxxis are speed limited at 65 mph and probably the other ST tires like GYM as well. Life is full of risks and we make the choices, and take the risks we feel comfortable with.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera

I had two E rated maxxis tires fail at the beginning of year 4 of use. Both failures were belt separation. Trailer stored inside, 80 psi pressures, run at 60 mph. I have a heavy 30' Classic slide out. I had a Marathon failure on the last trip of their 3rd season. I don't believe ST tires are reliable on heavy trailers after 3 seasons of use.....and that's under good conditions. Just consider what the life would be if I stored outside with uv exposure, drove in excess of 65 mph, or did not keep my inflation monitored.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Hutto , Texas
I have driven almost 100k miles on ST tires. Various GYM and Maxxis. Most of the miles were trouble free. But I have had two blowouts -- both with bent aluminum -- on ST tires. As well as a tread separation with a bubble that I discovered early enough.

Would you rather drive 65 MPH on a tire rated to do 65? Or drive 65 on a tire rated for much more? I prefer a safety margin. I switched to Michelin LT tires that have not given me any trouble. Peace of mind is worth something....
Wanderer2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Chinese Bombs!

All ST tires are now made in China. Even the Goodyears. When Maxxis, Westlake and all the other Chinese ST tires started being used by most of the Manufacturers, Goodyear had no other choice if they wanted to continue to be a player in ST tires. All of my previous trailers had the standard ST tires replaced with LT tires before I ever brought the trailer home. I was so glad to see Airstream make the 16" Michelin LT tires standard on the Classic last year. I know that when we took our trip out West in September, we saw dozens of trailers on the side of the road with a blowout in the 100 plus degree temperatures. I like to tow fast, 80 MPH in those hot temperatures, and I never once worried about my tires. I stopped on the side of I-10 just outside of Albuquerque and helped an older Gentleman and his wife change a tire in 105 degree temp. He had bought his fifth wheel three years ago and took off the Maxxis tires and had Goodyear Marathons installed, thinking that he was getting a tire that was made in the USA. When I showed him that the Goodyears were made in China, he couldn't believe it. I suggested that he replace them with LT tires like were on his pickup, he said that he was going to do that as soon as he got home to Waco. He thanked me for the help and the information. As the old sayin goes, "you get what you pay for!"
Old 11-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera

I don't believe that just because the Maxxis is foreign built that it is subpar. Maxxis is pretty well respected internationally. My Marathon that failed was Canadian built. It's just that ST tires in general aren't up to what we need.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I don't believe that just because the Maxxis is foreign built that it is subpar. Maxxis is pretty well respected internationally. My Marathon that failed was Canadian built. It's just that ST tires in general aren't up to what we need.

Hi, I had two original Marathons, each with a small sidewall bubble at three years old and the other two original Marathons start to separate after seven years; These were all CANADIAN made Marathons. After that, These tires were replaced with three Chinese Marathons and one Carlisle. I never had any problems with my Chinese tires. I now run Carlisle ST tires rated at 82 MPH. In one trip, for 3 1/2 months, and over 13,000 miles across this country and back [the long way] not a single problem.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
All ST tires are now made in China. Even the Goodyears. When Maxxis, Westlake and all the other Chinese ST tires started being used by most of the Manufacturers, Goodyear had no other choice if they wanted to continue to be a player in ST tires. All of my previous trailers had the standard ST tires replaced with LT tires before I ever brought the trailer home. I was so glad to see Airstream make the 16" Michelin LT tires standard on the Classic last year. I know that when we took our trip out West in September, we saw dozens of trailers on the side of the road with a blowout in the 100 plus degree temperatures. I like to tow fast, 80 MPH in those hot temperatures, and I never once worried about my tires. I stopped on the side of I-10 just outside of Albuquerque and helped an older Gentleman and his wife change a tire in 105 degree temp. He had bought his fifth wheel three years ago and took off the Maxxis tires and had Goodyear Marathons installed, thinking that he was getting a tire that was made in the USA. When I showed him that the Goodyears were made in China, he couldn't believe it. I suggested that he replace them with LT tires like were on his pickup, he said that he was going to do that as soon as he got home to Waco. He thanked me for the help and the information. As the old sayin goes, "you get what you pay for!"
My maxxis tireswere made in Thailand!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I have run only GYM's for the past
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana