Old 11-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Chinese Bombs!

All ST tires are now made in China. Even the Goodyears. When Maxxis, Westlake and all the other Chinese ST tires started being used by most of the Manufacturers, Goodyear had no other choice if they wanted to continue to be a player in ST tires. All of my previous trailers had the standard ST tires replaced with LT tires before I ever brought the trailer home. I was so glad to see Airstream make the 16" Michelin LT tires standard on the Classic last year. I know that when we took our trip out West in September, we saw dozens of trailers on the side of the road with a blowout in the 100 plus degree temperatures. I like to tow fast, 80 MPH in those hot temperatures, and I never once worried about my tires. I stopped on the side of I-10 just outside of Albuquerque and helped an older Gentleman and his wife change a tire in 105 degree temp. He had bought his fifth wheel three years ago and took off the Maxxis tires and had Goodyear Marathons installed, thinking that he was getting a tire that was made in the USA. When I showed him that the Goodyears were made in China, he couldn't believe it. I suggested that he replace them with LT tires like were on his pickup, he said that he was going to do that as soon as he got home to Waco. He thanked me for the help and the information. As the old sayin goes, "you get what you pay for!"

Old 11-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Maxxis M8008 tire - longterm experience?

I don't believe that just because the Maxxis is foreign built that it is subpar. Maxxis is pretty well respected internationally. My Marathon that failed was Canadian built. It's just that ST tires in general aren't up to what we need.

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I don't believe that just because the Maxxis is foreign built that it is subpar. Maxxis is pretty well respected internationally. My Marathon that failed was Canadian built. It's just that ST tires in general aren't up to what we need.

Hi, I had two original Marathons, each with a small sidewall bubble at three years old and the other two original Marathons start to separate after seven years; These were all CANADIAN made Marathons. After that, These tires were replaced with three Chinese Marathons and one Carlisle. I never had any problems with my Chinese tires. I now run Carlisle ST tires rated at 82 MPH. In one trip, for 3 1/2 months, and over 13,000 miles across this country and back [the long way] not a single problem.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
All ST tires are now made in China. Even the Goodyears. When Maxxis, Westlake and all the other Chinese ST tires started being used by most of the Manufacturers, Goodyear had no other choice if they wanted to continue to be a player in ST tires. All of my previous trailers had the standard ST tires replaced with LT tires before I ever brought the trailer home. I was so glad to see Airstream make the 16" Michelin LT tires standard on the Classic last year. I know that when we took our trip out West in September, we saw dozens of trailers on the side of the road with a blowout in the 100 plus degree temperatures. I like to tow fast, 80 MPH in those hot temperatures, and I never once worried about my tires. I stopped on the side of I-10 just outside of Albuquerque and helped an older Gentleman and his wife change a tire in 105 degree temp. He had bought his fifth wheel three years ago and took off the Maxxis tires and had Goodyear Marathons installed, thinking that he was getting a tire that was made in the USA. When I showed him that the Goodyears were made in China, he couldn't believe it. I suggested that he replace them with LT tires like were on his pickup, he said that he was going to do that as soon as he got home to Waco. He thanked me for the help and the information. As the old sayin goes, "you get what you pay for!"
My maxxis tireswere made in Thailand!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I have run only GYM's for the past
Old 11-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
My maxxis tireswere made in Thailand!
That sounds real trustworthy...
Old 11-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I had two original Marathons, each with a small sidewall bubble at three years old and the other two original Marathons start to separate after seven years; These were all CANADIAN made Marathons. After that, These tires were replaced with three Chinese Marathons and one Carlisle. I never had any problems with my Chinese tires. I now run Carlisle ST tires rated at 82 MPH. In one trip, for 3 1/2 months, and over 13,000 miles across this country and back [the long way] not a single problem.
[QUOTE=avionstream;1706845]My maxxis tires were made in Thailand! [/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Hi, that wasn't the point!

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Bought two Maxxis ST LR-E tires just before switching to 16" wheels and LT tires a few years ago. Ran them at 80 psi, 60 mph max. Within a year and a couple of thousand miles, one had the steel belts slip and start to separate. Discount tire gave full credit, which was applied to the 16" conversion.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Just as good of luck with these as the goodyears made in Canada.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
This thread once again re-affirms my decision to move away from ST tires on our Airstreams and I have chosen to run Michelins instead. I have no tire issues to report.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Just as good of luck with these as the goodyears made in Canada.
What is the date of these Canadian Marthons ? Probably about 2005, as all the latter ones come from china....
Old 11-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Those tires are long gone years ago. All four were deformed and replaced with Duros, which may still be on the AS but it is also gone. And your right the As was a 2006 I think and the tires were four or five years old, past time for replacement.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmacd View Post
A number of Airforum members have been running Maxxis ST tires for a long time. Some, like 2Air, have put a lot miles on this tire and the GYM's. My GYM's are starting year 3 with 4,100 miles of service, so I'm starting to think about tire replacement. What do you folks running the Maxxis tires think of them? In your experience, has this tire been more reliable than the GYM's manufactured in the last 10 years? What are some pro and cons? Thanks for your comments.

Jim
Jim,

I used Maxxis 8008 load range D tires (made in Thailand) on my Airstream for about 5 years with no problems other than running over a nail. Prior to that I used GYMs for about 3 years with no problems. I also have the Maxxis tires on my dual axle boat trailer and no problems after 3 years.

I replaced the Maxxis tires on the Airstream last year with new 16" rims and LT load range E tires. I really like the LT tires and am glad I went through the extra expense of the new rims to install them. I like the way they handle, the bit of added trailer height, the higher speed rating, and the new rims look fantastic. I put a lot of miles on the Airstream so this is important to me. I sold my old set of rims and Maxxis tires for $25 each on Craigslist, so this helped offset the additional cost of the new rims.

The Maxxis tires on the galvanized rims will remain on the boat trailer as I don't put nearly as many miles on it. When it comes time to replace them i would certainly consider the Maxxis tires again.