Old 10-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
You obviously want to argue about this. Run your tires the way you want.
Evidently you know your right and accusing me of arguing when Im showing you what the factory say's.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
As far as I am concerned, you are reading the chart backwards.

It does not say maximum or even recommended pressure at a given load. It say this is the maximum load at the stated pressure. I sure don't want to run my tires at the minimum pressure for that load. This is what you are recommending. For one thing you can not divide the total weight by 4, because there is no realistic way the load is going to be evenly distributed between 4 tires. It just doesn't happen. It will be even more unevenly distributed with the dynamics involved with highway towing.

As long as you don't exceed the maximum inflation rating for the tire, it will be a safe towing situation as long as you don't exceed the max load for each tire. However running at the minimum pressure for the stated load is a very risky situation in my opinion.

Regards,

Ken
I recomended doubling the minimum pressure. His trailer will weigh 5000 lbs fully loaded.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Auburn , Alabama
Man, I love all the feedback on this thread! When I bought the trailer last year in Kentucky, it had four 235/70-15 car tires to roll on. Aired them up to 35psi and drove all the way to Alabama with no issues. When I replaced these this week, I noticed the manuf date was 1999!

Has anybody ever used one of those infra-red temp detectors to check tire temp vs pressure vs load after a run down the interstate? It would be interesting to see if someone could put a chart together blending all of these variables. If we had a reccommended temp range for operating temperature from the manuf, guessing maybe around 120 or so, then you could adjust your pressure and speed to stay withen those limits while not overly inflating the tires.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by barron64 View Post
Man, I love all the feedback on this thread! When I bought the trailer last year in Kentucky, it had four 235/70-15 car tires to roll on. Aired them up to 35psi and drove all the way to Alabama with no issues. When I replaced these this week, I noticed the manuf date was 1999!

Has anybody ever used one of those infra-red temp detectors to check tire temp vs pressure vs load after a run down the interstate? It would be interesting to see if someone could put a chart together blending all of these variables. If we had a reccommended temp range for operating temperature from the manuf, guessing maybe around 120 or so, then you could adjust your pressure and speed to stay withen those limits while not overly inflating the tires.
Blend in tread wear too, you want wear across the tread even.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
It's pretty obvious from the posts on this thread that there are many opinions regarding the original question. From reading lots of other threads and some tire manufacturer's web pages, it seems to me that the basic need to balance the tire/axle/trailer weights and capacities is being overlooked. Specifically, I believe it is recommended by trailer manufacturers and axle manufacturers that you never run tires that have a higher load rating than the axles as it will put too much stress on the axles.

So, adjusting the load rating downward to reduce the load capacity of the tires by reducing air pressure may take the stress off of the axles, but it will most likely result in a reduced wear life for the tires.

IMHO the retailer didn't do you a favor by mounting the LRE tires as they are not "better" tires, they are just "stronger" tires and they are not within the weight parameters for your trailer.