Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Maxxis D or Carlisle E? Help!

I have decided to replace my 5 year old Marathons with something different.

I do try to glean good advice from this excellent forum and from what I learned - although there are always different views, I felt that I would do well to
buy Maxxis E rated tires. (I now have GYM D's)

Well, they seem impossible to find up here in Ontario. I have been able to find a dealer who has Maxxis D' s and several dealers that have Carlisle E' s.

So that's where I'm stuck at! any thoughts?

My feeling is that perhaps Carlisle isn't as good a tire as Maxxis, but since I can get it in an E rating, that may more than compensate.

My trailer has an 8400 GVW, so a D rated tire should be fine, but I figured (not sure if the logic is sound) that an E rated tore would give me a greater margin of safety against blow out without any real downside.

I do have a TPMS and watch my tire pressures closely.

Brian.

PS - I did find a local dealer just today who offered me Hercules trailer tires in an E rating, but that isn't a tire I have heard anything about.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
[QUOTE=2airishuman;897030]so r u hoping to glEan something different than from last weeks thread?

Nope - its just that now, I have found what I can realistically buy locally - other than another set of GYM LRD's which I suppose I shouldn't discount either, since mine are nearly five years old and still ok.

Just trying to spend my $ in the most effective way!

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough! I had decided that Maxxix E's were the way to go -but I cannot get them, so I'm wondering what folks think, whether Carlisle E's would be a better bet than Maxxix D's.

Any views?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Carlisle tires can be found easily here compared to maxxis. My first choice would be E rated tires. For a D rated tire I think GYM is probably is best.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Carlisle tires can be found easily here compared to maxxis. My first choice would be E rated tires. For a D rated tire I think GYM is probably is best.
Thanks,

I had figured that I would most likely o with the Carlisle's, mainly to get the E rating. but just wondered what other folks would be inclined to do in this situation.

I did come across a boat trailer forum where no-one had anything good to say about Carlisle, and that was pretty discouraging, but I don't think I have gotten that message here.

Im wondering if the guys that are going o the 16" wheels and LT tires maybe have the right idea, but I don't want to invest in all new wheels as well right now!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Jackson , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I have decided to replace my 5 year old Marathons with something different.

I do try to glean good advice from this excellent forum and from what I learned - although there are always different views, I felt that I would do well to
buy Maxxis E rated tires. (I now have GYM D's)

Well, they seem impossible to find up here in Ontario. I have been able to find a dealer who has Maxxis D' s and several dealers that have Carlisle E' s.

So that's where I'm stuck at! any thoughts?

My feeling is that perhaps Carlisle isn't as good a tire as Maxxis, but since I can get it in an E rating, that may more than compensate.

My trailer has an 8400 GVW, so a D rated tire should be fine, but I figured (not sure if the logic is sound) that an E rated tore would give me a greater margin of safety against blow out without any real downside.

I do have a TPMS and watch my tire pressures closely.

Brian.

PS - I did find a local dealer just today who offered me Hercules trailer tires in an E rating, but that isn't a tire I have heard anything about.
Your best best is to go with a Load Range E over a Load Range D. It provides '2 extra' ply's for improved load capacity and structure.

Although I prefer Kenda tires, I would buy Maxxis before Carlisle tires.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.
streamair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamair View Post
Your best best is to go with a Load Range E over a Load Range D. It provides '2 extra' ply's for improved load capacity and structure.

Although I prefer Kenda tires, I would buy Maxxis before Carlisle tires.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.
Yep, that's pretty much what I am thinking. Looks like Discount Tire handle Maxxis and there's a bunch of Discount tire stores around Tucson, where we hope to spend some time this coming March.

I think I'll leave my 5 year old GYM's on for the trip down and then hope that if I order them right away when we arrive in Tucson that I might be able to get the Maxxis E's

Discount Tire says usually 4 to 5 days to Tucson "If Available"

I would put in an order now but you just never know when you may have to change plans for any reason, so I think I'd best wait until we get to Tucson!

With that plan in mind, I think I'd better go an pull out the nail I recently found in one of my GYM's, at which point it will probably start to leak! I have ordered one of the dynaplug tools that should be here any day so we'll see how that works out.

I suppose probably even if it stops the leak, If I'm going to travel to Tucson with it, I'd better get it patched properly from inside as well. Never had that done before but I assume it is the right way to do things.

Brian

Thanks .......... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Trailer crazy

Vintage Kin Owner
Topanga , California
One thing to rember is you need to verify that your Rims can handle the added pressure that is needed for a load range E tire requires to carry the extra load. Cris
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I replaced my blown out GYM with Carlisle load range E.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0815.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	111308  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
One thing to rember is you need to verify that your Rims can handle the added pressure that is needed for a load range E tire requires to carry the extra load. Cris
Good point, I did that Chris - inside te rim of my Alcoa wheels it was stamped 95psi max and i think the max for LRE is 85psi - I will probably only put 65psi.

I also contacted Alcoa to be doubly sure and they said no problem.

Thanks ........ Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
I replaced my blown out GYM with Carlisle load range E.

Glad to see some one is using them, had them long?

I was about to buy them since I ca get them locally in Load Range E, but then I came across another RV website when I did a search for Carlisle trailer tires - review in which no-one had a good word about them!

Who knows what to believe - I still think a lot depends on how you look after your tires - especially maintaining pressure.

In teh end, I have decided to wait until we go to Tucson this winter and try to buy Maxxis E's there to replace my GYM D's. If I cannot get the E rating Maxxis tire, I think I will give the Carlisles a try.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Thanks,

I did come across a boat trailer forum where no-one had anything good to say about Carlisle, and that was pretty discouraging, but I don't think I have gotten that message here.

Brian
I would bet that the guys in the forum are complaining about D rated tires.
Carlisle and Maxxis are about the same im told.
E rated tires are just a little stronger to give you the extra margin of safety I think.

Roger
Old 09-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
E rated tires are just a little stronger to give you the extra margin of safety I think.

Roger
Could well be the case - I don't think I'll feel that badly if I wind up with Carlisle instead of Maxxis. I think I will try to stick out for an E rated tire though in any case.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Could well be the case - I don't think I'll feel that badly if I wind up with Carlisle instead of Maxxis. I think I will try to stick out for an E rated tire though in any case.

Brian
Do the LRE tires you want have an ST or LT designation?
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanwave View Post
Do the LRE tires you want have an ST or LT designation?
They Are ST tires. I know lots of folks praise the LT tires & for all I know they may be right - I don't know!

A lot of motorcycle riders claim that an auto tire on the back wheel performs very well, but I stick with tires designed for motorcycles, assuming that the designers know what they are doing! Certainly more than I do!

Of course the other consideration is that Id have to buy 5 new wheels too I guess because the folks switching to LT go to a 16" rim I believe.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
One of the differences in a ST tire is they have stiffer sidewalls to help control sway.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Roger
Hi Roger;
Owning and operating a boat business we had plenty of problems with Carlise tires especially 14" & 15". My E Maxiss are on the third season under 26' Argosy which is fully loaded at 6200 Lbs. Those Maxiss have rolled over 2000 miles of Pa pothole filled roads and another 3000 miles of interstate roads. No noticeable wear, feel cool after long run and no other issues were noted. Air pressure is maintained at 55 PSI. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Hi Roger;
Owning and operating a boat business we had plenty of problems with Carlise tires especially 14" & 15". My E Maxiss are on the third season under 26' Argosy which is fully loaded at 6200 Lbs. Those Maxiss have rolled over 2000 miles of Pa pothole filled roads and another 3000 miles of interstate roads. No noticeable wear, feel cool after long run and no other issues were noted. Air pressure is maintained at 55 PSI. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Thanks for the info Boatdoc, I'll remember it.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Minden , Nevada
I have an '07 30' Classic that I just put new tires on from America's Tire. I went with Transmasters Load Range "E" for the added safety. I had GYM on the trailer but could not get the same size in an "E" load range.
A/S Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
One advantage of Carlise E's is my purchase from Discount Tire. They have outlets all over the US and carry these in almost all of their stores....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
One advantage of Carlise E's is my purchase from Discount Tire. They have outlets all over the US and carry these in almost all of their stores....Tim
If Discount Tire cannot get me Maxxix E's within the 2-3 weeks I expect to be in Tucson this winter, I imagine I will buy Carlisle E's.

They do tell me however that they would normally expect to get the Maxxis tires within 4-5 days.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'